Dog food

Started the switch from Taste of the Wild to PPP yesterday. Putting him on Sport so we will see how he does. If he gains weight Ill move him to the Focus.

SoDaky

WKR
Victor Super Premium.After trying at least 10 brands over decades we settled here.Try one bag-you will be amazed.

Chewy .com(free delivery to doorsteps)

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I just spoke with the lady I am getting my Vizsla pups from and she related that she has used PPP for 15 years but recently decided to switch over to Victor. The pups I get will be started on Victor and I have decided to leave them on it and see how they do.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Victor Super Premium.After trying at least 10 brands over decades we settled here.Try one bag-you will be amazed.

Chewy .com(free delivery to doorsteps)

Which one do you use? I was planning on using the Hi Pro, which is an all life stages feed and their 30/20 blend.

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with horizon brand dog food? We feed ours the pulsar line from horizon out of Canada. We have a Female Australian Shepard, a female heeler and a male husky mix. All 3 like it

We Prefer Victor Hi-Energy. Feeds well, dogs love it and do great on it. Shinny coats, clean teeth, small stools. Dogs have energy to spare. Both a Lab and a Brittany on the same bag. Can't say enough good about it. We love it.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Anyone have experience with horizon brand dog food? We feed ours the pulsar line from horizon out of Canada. We have a Female Australian Shepard, a female heeler and a male husky mix. All 3 like it
I never heard of it honestly but there are a lot of dog foods out there. I looked it up and it looks like a quality feed. I am a fan of Canadian products.

I am sticking with feed that is easy for me to get and I can get locally but if your dogs are doing well on it, stick with it.

Purina Pro Plan Performance (I think that's what you guys are referring to). The 30/20 (or is it 30/22?) blend. I know it when I see it, purple bag. I have a setter that turns 15 this month on that his whole life. My other setter died of cancer (probably) at 12. All my bird hunting buddies feed that.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Purina Pro Plan Performance (I think that's what you guys are referring to). The 30/20 (or is it 30/22?) blend. I know it when I see it, purple bag. I have a setter that turns 15 this month on that his whole life. My other setter died of cancer (probably) at 12. All my bird hunting buddies feed that.
It is what most breeders I know feed and most hunting dogs do real well on it.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I bought some Victor Hi energy 30/20 and my vizsla seems to like it. I will probably keep her on it from now until after hunting season. I was going to put her on the Performance but they were out of it. I am starting to get in her shape for the season so the extra protein and fat should be fine.

Russp17

WKR
Purina Pro Plan for my GSP and lab. Both dogs are doing well on it. My GSP is naturally skinny and during hunting season can get real thin. So he needs a high protein food and Purina pro plan seems to do well for him. My lab just eats less of it than the GSP and also is doing well on it.

SEIA

FNG
I’ve got a GSP pup on PPP and she’s done alright but eventually she’ll transition to Kinetic. My older GSP/GWP has been on Kinetic for a while and it’s been great for her. Noticed a huge difference after a month or so on it. I feed the 26K Active formula in the off season and bump up to the 30K Power formula during season. All the same ingredients, just slight ratio differences. She no longer goes to skin and bones by the end of the season and seems to recover faster. I also use the Hydro formula in her water before, during, and after hunts. Lots of folks think it’s over the top but I can’t put a price on keeping her happy and healthy. Best dog I’ve ever had.

willidru

WKR
I used Pro Plan Sport 30/20 on my pup for years. It was solid, she looked great.

I had someone convince me to go to Dr Tim’s and her energy went up and coat looked better.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I live out in the country most of the time, so I am going to stick with a dog food that is readily available and easy to find in my area. Mail goes to PO Box so Chewy isn't an option. Victor is available at local feed store that I drive by once a week so easy for me to purchase as needed. Fortunately, there are a lot of good dog foods available.

ericbeb

FNG
On my older GSP I run Purina Pro Plan Sport active 26/16 formula through out the year and about a month or two weeks prior to hunting season I switch them over to Pro Plan Sport Performance 30/20. Dogs seem to do well.

On my Pup I used what my breeder recommended Best Breed for the first year then plan to switch here over to the Purina.

For hunting day after day, week after week,
I feed the highest fat/highest protein kibble on the market:
Redpaw PowerEdge Extreme (38% protein, 25% fat)

For summer retriever training which is swimming hundreds of yards every other day,
I feed Redpaw PowerEdge 32k (32%protein, 20% fat)

RedPaw is locally available because of the mushing market here in interior Alaska.