Dog has cancer..now what?

Vandy321

WKR
This is something only you can decide.

My wife and I made a pact many years ago, that we would not spend money on pets beyond typical vet visits. That there is always another pet available and there is no need to financially burden ourselves cause we love the dog/cat/whatever. YMMV
If I couldn't/wouldn't care for a dog more than just a simple vet visit if he was sick, I wouldn't own a dog.

My dogs would literally die to protect my wife and kid, I personally would do everything in my power to help them if they were in need. i think that's what we sign up for when we bring home that pet, it's a responsibility, a life.

Last edited:

MTNBOYJD

FNG
Tagamet and Benedryl! Going to start my dog on it immediately
Hope it helps, did wonders for our dog. He is 9 and runs around like a puppy. Our other dog blew out both back knees 2 years ago. I was ready to put him down, wife said no and paid for the surgery. He is 9 also and is doing great. She takes them hiking every weekend for 2 to 6 miles. My wife has taught me a lot about dogs. Diet is very important. Ours are on raw food only. Dry food is high in carbohydrates which feeds cancer. We buy from a company here called Raw Dog Food and Company. Ground and frozen protein, thaw it and feed it. They love it.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
sorry to hear, just had to put down my 10 year old rotty from bone cancer in her shoulder. I would selfishly lean towards amputating if i were you. A guy knows they dont live forever but it doesnt make it any easier when it comes time.

OP
HuntInWild88
This is something only you can decide.

My wife and I made a pact many years ago, that we would not spend money on pets beyond typical vet visits. That there is always another pet available and there is no need to financially burden ourselves cause we love the dog/cat/whatever. YMMV
Well that's the thing.. he's not just a pet.. he's family.

We had to make this decision a couple years ago. It’s tough, but it’s part of the deal to see them through the right way. You’ll know when it’s time to call it, don’t let other folks get in your head over it.

I’d second the thought that you can spend a ton of money for little improvement in quality of life and little additional time. Doesn’t make it easy.

FNG
So sorry to hear that OP. Our dog had a very similar situation, but was best to just have him live out his days. Hs quality of life did eventually degrade to to the point it was selfish to keep him going on so much pain. We took him to the vet after Thanksgiving and spent our last few moments before he was euthanized.

Hate reading stories like these, because like many of you, my dog is more than just a pet, my dog is literally my best friend, I'd honestly prefer to spend time out in the woods with him than most people. My lab was just diagnosed with cancer in his mouth. Took him in this past Monday and they did an x-ray of his chest and abdomen, no tumors there, so that's good news. They also did a lymph aspiration which we are awaiting the results of. If that is clear, then the vet says that she's confident that at this point it hasn't metastasized and she will schedule a surgery to remove the tumors in his mouth. My fingers are crossed that all goes well.

I went quite a way down the rabbit hole of the link provided by Wrench in post #10 for Fenbendazole. This drug sounds amazing for battling cancer in people and has a number of "good news" stories connected to it, as well as a joint study from Stanford and U of WA. I already ordered a significant amount of this OTC drug for my dog and will be starting him on it as soon as it is received.

https://www.scitechnol.com/peer-rev...AO8e_WGWM5mcqv-RNfI-5SID9OWDcRiwHyHmQBKsjeSKk

Good luck to HuntInWIld88 and your dog, I hope he makes a recovery and enjoys many more happy years.

Where did you get dosing info for this...I asked my vet about it previously for a pet with multiple lumps and she scoffed at the idea
For use as a dewormer, the dosing is right on the packaging. For use as a cancer treatment, I'm going to use the same dosing for my dog that Joe Tippens and the people in the Stanford/UofWA study used, which was one 1 gram dose of Panacur C, which contains 222 mg of Fenbendazole. One good thing about Fenbendazole is that everything I read indicates that it has virtually zero negative side effects for humans, dogs or cats.

Your vet should do some reading. He/she sounds the same as those doctors that ignore the evidence of the efficacy of ivermectin and monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of COVID.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I lost one of my vizsla's two days before her 7th birthday. She had cancer of the spleen. Took her for a second opinion. Surgery and chemo would have cost $10,000 but it was really too far gone to do anything of value and she died that night sleeping. My other Vizsla had a cancer lump removed over a year ago and she has been fine.

Get a second opinion. If they can remove the cancer and buy her a couple of years(and you can afford it) then I would probably do it. Understanding that I get really attached to our dogs and they become part of the family.

For use as a dewormer, the dosing is right on the packaging. For use as a cancer treatment, I'm going to use the same dosing for my dog that Joe Tippens and the people in the Stanford/UofWA study used, which was one 1 gram dose of Panacur C, which contains 222 mg of Fenbendazole. One good thing about Fenbendazole is that everything I read indicates that it has virtually zero negative side effects for humans, dogs or cats.

Your vet should do some reading. He/she sounds the same as those doctors that ignore the evidence of the efficacy of ivermectin and monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of COVID.
The biggest side effect is lack of energy. But that is also how it fights cancer.

Cancerous cells have a higher metabolic rate than healthy cells. Fenbendazole blocks the uptack of energy into cells. Using dosage and cycling on and off, the cancerous cells atrophy and starve quicker than healthy cells.

OP
HuntInWild88
Hate reading stories like these, because like many of you, my dog is more than just a pet, my dog is literally my best friend, I'd honestly prefer to spend time out in the woods with him than most people. My lab was just diagnosed with cancer in his mouth. Took him in this past Monday and they did an x-ray of his chest and abdomen, no tumors there, so that's good news. They also did a lymph aspiration which we are awaiting the results of. If that is clear, then the vet says that she's confident that at this point it hasn't metastasized and she will schedule a surgery to remove the tumors in his mouth. My fingers are crossed that all goes well.

I went quite a way down the rabbit hole of the link provided by Wrench in post #10 for Fenbendazole. This drug sounds amazing for battling cancer in people and has a number of "good news" stories connected to it, as well as a joint study from Stanford and U of WA. I already ordered a significant amount of this OTC drug for my dog and will be starting him on it as soon as it is received.

https://www.scitechnol.com/peer-rev...AO8e_WGWM5mcqv-RNfI-5SID9OWDcRiwHyHmQBKsjeSKk

Good luck to HuntInWIld88 and your dog, I hope he makes a recovery and enjoys many more happy years.
Man sorry to hear about yours as well! Seems like they caught it in time and hope his surgery goes well!
I also started mine on the "protocol" 3 days ago. I took measurements the day I started and am going to wait a week to see if there is any change.. the mass on his leg adds an 1 1/2 of circumference compared to his other leg.

Vandy321

WKR
Would this protocol potentially work on benign tumors in dogs as well? It always starts with a bunch of benign lumps and always seems to turn to cancer at dome point when you miss one. Figure eliminating them all would be good if possible.

mhabiger

FNG
Last December our twelve year old Kerry Blue was diagnosed with nose cancer. Basically the only way to possibly treat was with radiation. Radiation started at $5k but would likely be at least double and most prognosis were 6 months at best even with radiation. Read up on what published veterinarian articles you can. If it had been somewhere operable we probably would have had the surgery done. Had a shih tzu loose both eyes and she was pretty good for about another year and a half.

Last week of January he was fading and it was time to say good bye. In retrospect I felt like I probably should've made the call a week sooner but man you just dont want say goodbye. Whatever route you choose, you know your pup best. Treat what you can reasonably and watch for the signs of vitality that you know best. Muster the strength to make the call when you need to but hopefully that day is far off.

DuckDogDr

WKR
my advice with tumors .. you’re either all in down the road of chemo +/- radiation with still guarded to grave prognosis… or appropriate pain meds until time for quality of life decision rears it’s head.

When I was young and dumb and in school I did chemo on my first bird dog (different cancer than yours)… we got not a single day more than if I had done nothing at all. … I don’t regret doing it.. but even as DVM… not doing it on another one..

If you were my client I would tell you chest and abdominal rads and likely CT needs to be done (+/- 2k) to determine full involvement of tumor and going ahead and looking for Mets before you make the decision to amputate.. because if there’s Mets in the chest or primary tumor in abdomen .
Me personally I would take amputation off the table.
If chest and abdomen are clear then the decision to amputate is up to you. Dogs do well , they don’t mourn limbs like us.. I’ve had a 3 legged dog.. she worked cows until the day she died