Dog Kennel-Worth It?

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys, I'm about to get a pup this month and I've been wonder if I actually need a plastic kennel, they get expensive. All you dog people, do you find yourself actually using kennel while hunting, during travel or was it a regrettable purchase? I wont flying to hunt with the dog. Any help appreciated.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Very worth it particularly for house breaking over night. The only thing more important than having a space the dog knows is its own and isn't so large that it feels it can make a mess and get away from it is having your family members onboard with your training plan.

NEhunter

WKR
Gunner kennel is well worth it.
Gunner kennels are awesome. I find kennels absolutely necessary for house breaking and traveling. My dog has gotten into so many skunks while bird hunting, id hate that ride home without a kennel In the back.

Attachments

• 8D6F3B38-CB46-47FF-9184-C132AEAF7FCF.jpeg
    8D6F3B38-CB46-47FF-9184-C132AEAF7FCF.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 84
OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Gunner kennels are awesome. I find kennels absolutely necessary for house breaking and traveling. My dog has gotten into so many skunks while bird hunting, id hate that ride home without a kennel In the back.
This alone was a selling point lol. Nice pup, I've got a GWP on the way.

Thank you guys, I planned on a crate but I wasn't sure how much of an investment I wanted to make. I was planning of a Ruffland Kennel if I went this route, I know its not Gunner but its not the same price either.

No question about the necessity of a kennel. You can spend A LOT on one, and it is probably worth it, but I have been using Rough Tough for a few years and am very happy with them. They just stay in the vehicles, and we use a cheap wire kennel in the house.
Kennel training is not optional for us, and the dogs are happy with 'their spaces'.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
This alone was a selling point lol. Nice pup, I've got a GWP on the way.

Thank you guys, I planned on a crate but I wasn't sure how much of an investment I wanted to make. I was planning of a Ruffland Kennel if I went this route, I know its not Gunner but its not the same price either.

For the money those are great kennels, I love mine. It'd still hurt if it got stolen out the back of your truck, but not nearly as much as a Gunner.

It seems a lot of anxiety issues pop up in dogs that are not crate trained as their owners think the pup needs to be with them 100% of the time. The dog needs to learn just as much how to handle you not being around as it does everything else in the world and a crate is a great tool to do that.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
For the money those are great kennels, I love mine. It'd still hurt if it got stolen out the back of your truck, but not nearly as much as a Gunner.

It seems a lot of anxiety issues pop up in dogs that are not crate trained as their owners think the pup needs to be with them 100% of the time. The dog needs to learn just as much how to handle you not being around as it does everything else in the world and a crate is a great tool to do that.
I've seen this with too many house dogs, regardless of what kennel I go with the dog will be in a rotation of sleeping in various places, basement, unattached garage, truck, ect. to try and prevent this.

Mosby

WKR
I kennel train all my dogs. IMO, a dog needs to be in a kennel when traveling. If you get in an accident with a loose dog, it will get killed or seriously injured.

We use ours if we have workers in the house, when the dogs are pups and we are going to the store and when we stay in motels. We use ours a lot. We have Ruffland kennels. Ours have double doors. They are easy to move and have held up well. They are not as safe as a Gunner kennel in an accident but they are a lot lighter, have a lot of ventilation, my wife can move them on her own, they fit into the back seat of my truck when its hot or freezing and they are paid for. We have the intermediate size for vizsla's.

To make the dog safer when on long trips, I put the kennels in the far back of the pickup(not near the tailgate), against the cab and strap them down with 2x8 straps. It is a safer location for the dog. Again, not as safe as a Gunner but I do what I can to protect the dogs with what I have.

Trial153

WKR
My hounds are in an aluminum truck box when I travel, hunt and run....plus all the single kennels I have for general use.

It's a must have.

sndmn11

WKR
I own multiple sizes of the ruff land. I won’t buy another brand.

Same here, I think they are a fantastic purchase.

Vehicle travel in general is far safer for the dog when they are in a snug kennel. Mine rides in the double cab of the truck belted in, next to my toddler's car seat, and I firmly believe it makes any accident scenario safer for us with the dog secure.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Thank all for chiming in. How are doors on the Ruffland kennels? Also I was thinking a Large size for a GWP does that sound about right from everyone's experience?

HoneyDew

WKR
I have a large for in the house and an intermediate for the back of the tahoe. The doors are very solid plastic. I ended up buying the metal door only because it was required to fly with him and I moved cross country. My Brittany is 55lbs and the large is very big the intermediate is just a tad snug (comfortable but he’s unable to stand with his head fully up). I also bought the mat they sell for the inside of each and think it makes it significantly more comfortable (the floor is raised but pretty firm). PM me if you have questions or want pictures. I think they’re fantastic and worth the $$.

My DD is about 80lb and an intermediate is the right size for in the vehicle. You really don't want them too big, unless you are planning to fly - then you need to evaluate size differently. OR, if you plan on leaving the dog all day I guess you would want larger. We take plenty of road trips and he is good in the kennel for several hours at a time easy - and overnight if needed.

bdg848

WKR
You absolutely need a kennel. For potty training, teaching them to be alone and content, keeping him/her from jumping out of the bed of your truck or keeping him from climbing in your lap while you drive, or having guests over and the dog is too rowdy.