Dog Kennel-Worth It?

Braaap

WKR
This was 54 bucks on amazon. Large generic plastic kennel. If u have a crew cab its just to slick to not do, especially with a pup. If u don't run a topper and the dogs in the bed of the truck id certainly spend top dollar on a nice well made one. Then again you need a Ford with a flat floor and 60/40 rear bench to have it dialed.A 3rd guy can ride in back with kennel in this setup.
What truck is this in the photo? And what does your dog weigh?

AKG

FNG
I have two intermediate sized ruff tough kennels for my dd's who are 65 and 80 lbs. I chose this size as they will fit between the wheel wells on my short bed tacoma or one of them will fit behind the driver seat (4 door gen 2 tacoma). Our old 95 lb lab hangs out in one of the kennels on the porch when my wife leaves the house. In -20 weather my dd's have doubled up in the crates at night when on the road. I don't like the double spring loaded doors, as if a dog scratches them just right both springs can be depressed and the doors will come off. This has happened several times with both of mine, but as they are under a topper I haven't remedied this yet. I think some electrical tape on one side would prevent it from happening. I prefer having the dog in a crate for reduced chance of injury with abrupt stops and minor collisions and they keep my windows clean when in the cab. Major collisions it's a crap shoot on what happens. I got t-boned once with my older dd in a wire crate behind the driver's seat, he got some broken teeth and had to be cut out of the crate, I got cut out and a helicopter ride. Other than the previously mentioned door hinges I prefer the ruff tough kennels to the wire type.

Explorer

FNG
I used cheap kennels with dozens of bird dogs and they worked fine. I'd recommend that for most. But..... my last GSP saw destroying 20160512_193707.jpg20160512_193618.jpgkennels as a fun challenge. She would be fine, then one day would decide she wanted out. She could destroy one in 5 min. I had a kennel grave yard behind my shop that I would use to patch and piece them back together so I wouldn't have to buy another.
I almost bought a metal one but thought she might hurt herself.
Then I bought a Ruff Tough. It lasted months instead of minutes. When she did tear through it, Ruff Tough sold me a hole less factory seconds for half off.
She never got out of that one.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I used cheap kennels with dozens of bird dogs and they worked fine. I'd recommend that for most. But..... my last GSP saw destroying View attachment 226903View attachment 226904kennels as a fun challenge. She would be fine, then one day would decide she wanted out. She could destroy one in 5 min. I had a kennel grave yard behind my shop that I would use to patch and piece them back together so I wouldn't have to buy another.
Then I bought a Ruff Tough. It lasted months instead of minutes. When she did tear through it, Ruff Tough sold me a hole less factory seconds for half off.
That dog has some serious determination. Im happy to hear the Ruff Tough held up better!
I just got my kennel this weekend and my 16 week pup did well in there last night, the fact the kennel doesn't make noise when he bumps it like the old wire one let him sleep without waking up as much.

Last edited:

rhustek

FNG
Use a cheap kennel for training right now and then do some research on what you want. You can find the better brands on Craigslist, FB, etc. I have a Gunner and love it.

If it's just me and the dog then he'll ride in the cab, especially when its cold or when the hunt is over and he is tired. When its a group I find the kennel just makes the entire trip more enjoyable for everyone, including the dog.

Jsmith410

Lil-Rokslider
As stated above. Crate training provides several benefits. If it is made to be a happy place then the dog will want to use it. It assist with potty training and provides safety for trips. I personally think the standard plastic kennels are sufficient and own them in sizes puppy to XL. Pups will not mess where they sleep and eat if they don’t have to. Using a size appropriate kennel will assist them in learning to hold it.

ericbeb

FNG
I used cheap kennels with dozens of bird dogs and they worked fine. I'd recommend that for most. But..... my last GSP saw destroying View attachment 226903View attachment 226904kennels as a fun challenge. She would be fine, then one day would decide she wanted out. She could destroy one in 5 min. I had a kennel grave yard behind my shop that I would use to patch and piece them back together so I wouldn't have to buy another.
That's funny!

ericbeb

FNG
I first started off with a cheap pet plus crate and put a cover on it. It lasted me 9 years. Then I purchased a used Aluminum 2 dog box and Ruff Tuff Crate. Don't use the create much. When I purchase my next truck I'm going to get a camper shell and probably buy another ruff Tuff Create and go that route. I like my aluminum box just sucks taking it in and out of the truck by yourself.

ericbeb

FNG
Anyone have any good suggestions on Truck Camper shells that have worked will for them. I would like to get one that I can add or already has an electronic lock that I can tie into my truck fob. Also thought about getting one of those Cap-Pack's for the camper shell but didn't know if people did or did not like them. I don't know if I like the idea of drilling a hole through a fiberglass camper shell.

jmez

WKR
Someone needs to make a rotomolded box that fits under a tonneau cover.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

WKR
Anyone have any good suggestions on Truck Camper shells that have worked will for them. I would like to get one that I can add or already has an electronic lock that I can tie into my truck fob. Also thought about getting one of those Cap-Pack's for the camper shell but didn't know if people did or did not like them. I don't know if I like the idea of drilling a hole through a fiberglass camper shell.
Have used Snugtop and ARE. Both will leak, not sure there is one that won't. Regardless of brand, I highly suggest getting side opening windoors. You can open, release dog from kennel, close, walk to end of truck and let dog out. It's pretty handy.

My current ARE had a super nice LED light in the celing. After owning for 3 months, it has now stopped working along with the usb charger in bed. So not sure I can recommend the electronics on these.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Dakota 283 kennels. They rock. Metal door and don’t cost $800 like a Gunner.

Attachments

• 91F8820F-4E73-4D0B-8C73-E4BD60E4C035.jpeg
    91F8820F-4E73-4D0B-8C73-E4BD60E4C035.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 19