Dog kennels

BowForElk

FNG
Thank you all for the info. I’ve been looking and considering getting something other than a cheapo.

Dinn

FNG
I love me my gunner and their limited edition colors keep tempting me to get another!

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I love me my gunner and their limited edition colors keep tempting me to get another!
Yeah, I picked one up used. Great bulletproof kennel, easy to put together. But holy cow is the large HUGE.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I think for sleeping at night, you might want to get a wire crate and bed. It's not that expensive and gives the dog a little more room. That may not be as important, but my 50 lb pudelpointer likes to stretch out on her back and she's long. The travel kennels tend to be snug, and I wouldn't want my dog to stay in there for long periods of time. I have an intermediate gunner. It goes in the back of the suburban, but it's relatively easy to move with the handles. I also have the orthopedic pad and the fan. The fan helps since she easily gets hot, is prone to motion sickness and the rear ac doesn't get to her to cool her. I'll state the obvious, I spoil her, but she's worth it. That being said, my buddy has a ruffland for his GWP, and it works great. For economy sake, it sounds like a Ruffland + Wire crate in the house might cover your bases or just a Ruffland since it doesn't sound like you need it that much in the car.

HookUp

WKR
I was in this situation and went with the Lucky dog. If you are between the Dakota and the Gunnar get the Gunnar. The Dakota is not nearly as tough. Some good youtube reviews.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Just looking at the prices the large G1 from gunner is now $900. Were you going to get it used or was there a deal? Don’t get me wrong they look super nice but at that price point I feel like I’m throwing money away.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I run coonhounds and live in upstate NY near Canada…. Gets cold -20 in winter and warm low 90’s in summer. I run an insulated box called houndsman deluxe. Lots of different companies make similar options and layouts. I have a bench in my garage that is the same height as my truck bed for loading and unloading the box from my truck. Also, seems the different dog forums have many different boxes for sale on forums( example ukc coonhound forum)

Attachments

• A0F6675E-F9D9-436F-95B1-AD8B8E40FC21.jpeg
    A0F6675E-F9D9-436F-95B1-AD8B8E40FC21.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 10B18766-F500-4F26-BD3E-8CCA0CC9CDFA.jpeg
    10B18766-F500-4F26-BD3E-8CCA0CC9CDFA.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 57DD0614-D71B-4139-BA32-B89D097CC2D3.jpeg
    57DD0614-D71B-4139-BA32-B89D097CC2D3.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 15
OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased both. Gunner used and ruffland new. The gunner is too big and makes lots of things more awkward. I have a Tundra and I couldn't get it to fit in the back seat so it's in the bed of my truck but takes lots of space. It is bulletproof. I think it would be great as a full-time kennel, especially in the area I live with the influx of shitty drivers who race around like it's downtown LA.

The ruffland is quality, easier to move around. I don't think it would fair well if it was in the bed of my truck and I was rear-ended. It will do great in the back seat to keep my dog from being launched in an impact.

Pros and cons to each. Gunner is worth every penny if it saves your dog's life. It is very well made and the customer service appears to be great. $900 isn't cheap, but neither is replacing a dog with countless hours of training, vet bills, and other costly things invested into the dog. That's just from a financial standpoint I would do anything to keep my best friend around forever.

The ruffland is great to have him in the backseat, when I am planning to go to hotels and need to move the crate around, for inside, friends houses stuff like that.

Cant go wrong with either, just decide which factors are most important for you. If you go with the gunner find the sizes and double check it will fit inside your vehicle.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I am running a Gunner in the topper of my truck and love it. Granted, I don't move that heavy bastard around much but I like knowing the dog is safe and sound and really like the tie down points on the kennel as well.

Spent a lot of money on the pup and want to keep him safe and sound.

Just my .02.

Dukejb

FNG
I’ve been very pleased with my Ruffland. I don’t remember if it’s the large or intermediate size though. I also got a Mud River cover to put over it in colder weather. The Gunner’s look awesome, but at the time I got my Ruffland for under $200.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know which crates will actually fit in the back seat of a dodge quad cab? I’d have to flip the seats up, and probably shim the floor so it’s flat. I’ve got a 5 month old Shepard/husky, not sure how big he’ll top out at, he’s got to be around 40lbs now. He was neutered quite young at the rescue.
I’d like to have a good travel crate that will fit in the back seat, and be suitable for the truck bed on occasion aswell.

Mosby

WKR
Anyone know which crates will actually fit in the back seat of a dodge quad cab? I’d have to flip the seats up, and probably shim the floor so it’s flat. I’ve got a 5 month old Shepard/husky, not sure how big he’ll top out at, he’s got to be around 40lbs now. He was neutered quite young at the rescue.
I’d like to have a good travel crate that will fit in the back seat, and be suitable for the truck bed on occasion aswell.
I have a Ruffland intermediate that fits in the back seat of my Chevy Colorado. I would guess my Colorado is smaller than your Dodge. I have Vizsla's and they top out around 45-50lb and the Intermediate size is perfect for them and easy to take into motel rooms.

I also have a Lucky Duck kennel that is a lot heavier than the Ruffland. Too large for the back seat of my truck but better made. I keep it in the back of my truck during the season.

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
What you could do is get the measurements for the crates you want. Most are on the websites. Take a tape measurer and either make a makeshift crate with card board box or use the tape measure to check the area. Dont forget getting it into the vehicle as well. My tundra's door opening is a little smaller.

TSAMP

WKR
Anybody using the Dakota 283 large in the backseat of full size truck? I use an El cheapo in the backseat for transport but adding a second dog now so going to change things abit. I have a topper but I like having dogs in the cab of my Supercrew since the windows in topper dont open fully. 70lb dogs. I'll measure but if anybody has real world examples I'm all ears. I think getting 2 decent kennel and putting them in the topper makes the most sense.

rocknry09

FNG
Get the Ruffland and spend the other $150 towards an e-Collar. We love our Ruffland.

KurtR

WKR
I won a lucky duck it’s a nice kennel heavier than the ruffland. When I get another dog I will buy an ainley three hole topper. It makes sense for what we do all summer running tests and no one builds a better dog box.