Dog Nutrition

Anyone out there use any sort of supplements for their hunting dogs? Was looking at Alpha Dog Nutrition and was curious what others are doing out there. Mostly interested in their "Free Range" product to promote joint health, having a lab I want to do everything I can to prevent any hip/joint injuries if possible.

For reference, I have a 4 yr. old black lab (pic below) and he is currently on the Purina Pro Plan Sport.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 34

KurtR

WKR
My lab had some dandruff so I have used zoom itchy dog and it has worked well. I feed kinetic dog food used pro plan sensitive stomach and it was good to just a little better with the kinetic. I am going to try the zoom hydration supplement also as it has been hot running hunt test and he gets amped up and doesn’t drink enough. I have used some joint supps on my older dogs and they worked biggest factor was keeping the weight in check. I know one of the top trainers in the country uses hunt dog hunt for his trail and test dogs and swears by it.

Mosby

WKR
I feed PPP Sport Salmon. I add high fat wet canned food when training or hunting. My GSP is thin and hard to keep weight on so I supplement fat where I can.

I have been thinking about getting some Annamet Glycocharge to try for the season. Some people on another forum swear by it for recovery when hunting several days in a row.

We are feeding Candine based on whatever factor my wife decided.
At 9ish my Walker hound was having some joint issue on a front leg after long hikes.

We started giving her the Wilderness Athlete new dog and it seems like a miracle drug for her.
Turning 11 and doesn't seem to have any problems with 10 mile hikes.

50lb 3yo GWP is on Victor Max-5 Pro dry dog food (30/20 protein to fat) and Cosequin for joint health. Started the pup on a daily Cosequin pill about 2 years ago and haven't had anymore limps after full days out in the field.

Also will float his food with water leading up to hunts and after hunts to make sure he is hydrated.

Mosby

WKR
Also will float his food with water leading up to hunts and after hunts to make sure he is hydrated.
Floating the food in water is really a good idea, especially in warmer weather. I've had dogs that didn't like it, so I now put water in with my dogs food when they are pups so they are used to it and simply increase the amount of water when they train or run.

I like a dog food where the first ingredient is an oily fish (menhaden) and the highest fat,
highest protein kibble on the market. A favorite among long-distance mushers:
RedPaw PowerEdge 32% protein, 20% fat

slvrslngr

WKR
Pro Plan Sport, glucosamine/chondroitin, a fish oil caplet and a cranberry pill (she's prone to UTI's). Will likely switch her food to something less hot when this bag is gone, since we're not hunting this year.

Anyone out there use any sort of supplements for their hunting dogs? Was looking at Alpha Dog Nutrition and was curious what others are doing out there. Mostly interested in their "Free Range" product to promote joint health, having a lab I want to do everything I can to prevent any hip/joint injuries if possible.

For reference, I have a 4 yr. old black lab (pic below) and he is currently on the Purina Pro Plan Sport.

Thanks!
I've found feeding dogs not to dissimilar to feeding myself.
Lots of meat and fat. Bones with marrow. Raw eggs. Fish if you've got it. Bone broth.
No oil.
No grains.
Then small game like squirrels etc go to the dog, whole.

KurtR

WKR
I've found feeding dogs not to dissimilar to feeding myself.
Lots of meat and fat. Bones with marrow. Raw eggs. Fish if you've got it. Bone broth.
No oil.
No grains.
Then small game like squirrels etc go to the dog, whole.
What kind of dogs you feeding

What kind of dogs you feeding
Currently just an English Collie.
But I've fed all types of terrier's the same way.
It's just the portions that I've changed, but not by alot, tbf.
The wife will work out the food portionsto the weight of the dog, but I've always just used the dogs apatite and weight gain to judge it.
If they're hungry feed, um.
If they're putting on weight, now I know where to much food is for them and cut it back, then regulate it. Which is what I do for myself also.
So like labradors, (and retrievers in general) need regulating!

TSAMP

WKR
Bumping this back. I have a PP who has always been on Pro Plan, various salmon/chicken base. I have noticed in the last 6 months or so an increase in shedding. I went the salmon oil additive route with no real benefits and he doesn't really care for it either. I chalked the shedding up to general spring/winter coat stuff, then in the summer he runs with me so i thought i might have been over heating him which triggered shedding. Here we are coming into fall and im still noticing hair on my hands after petting him, which is very uncommon from my experience. Thinking it might be time to either switch food completely, or stick hard to the salmon kibble base. I should add i do give him cheapo wet food on occasion, maybe thats my issue.

KurtR

WKR
The zoom itchy dog and kinetic food really have the dog looking good and with minimal shedding for a lab.

E0168ED5-99D1-4E28-A0A8-6E9BE4CF05B0.jpeg

Thanks!
I use Alpha Dog Nutrition for my dogs and have loved the results. The free range is great as a joint lubricator. I use the resurgence after hard hunt and training days. And unfortunately, one of my dogs suffers from some allergies that have led to dry skin and dandruff so she gets the Vitality.

I feed the highest fat, highest protein kibble on the market from Cold Spot Feeds in Fairbanks,
Redpaw PowerEdge 32k...32% protein, 25% fat. Main ingredient is menhaden.
Made in Wisconsin.
ScoutBoat.JPG

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
We feed pro plan sport 1 cup 2x a day (6-7 am 6 pm) we mix in half a bag of steamed vegetables (keeps weight off) and 2 fish oil pills per day

This has never presented a problem in our gsp’s