Dog questions.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’d say it will be difficult. Two very different puppy stages at 3 months apart. Even though they aren’t the highest of energy dogs (especially the saint) they will still be pups with a short attention span. And will require different levels of attention. That said you could sent the 5-6 month old off for training. Then train one and reinforce the other. Best of luck

They tend to act like puppies longer and horseplay. But if you take the time and stick with it you can do it. One of my hog dogs is 4 I will probably breed her next year. I don't like to have more than 1 puppy in my pack at a time. I can't stand it when they want to screw around when they are supposed to be working. 1 puppy and the rest adults works well. The adults wont tollarate scrweing around and put the pup in line. Doing it this way also keeps experienced dogs around and younger dogs coming up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sounds just like employees

sneaky

"DADDY"
I train dogs for a living and most likely train more chessies then anyone in the country. I’ve been at it for 15 years or so. I’ve been bit twice, both times by labs. (I still think the Labrador breed is great)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like chessies, but I've had several friends with them and they have their faults. Yours could be awesome with kids and strangers, but a good number of them aren't. It's not an indictment against them, but your experiences are just that, yours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
Socialization with other people and as many different animals, just not dogs, as early as possible in the dog's life helps immensely.

KurtR

WKR
I like chessies, but I've had several friends with them and they have their faults. Yours could be awesome with kids and strangers, but a good number of them aren't. It's not an indictment against them, but your experiences are just that, yours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

problem is his experience is probably more in a year than most in a life time. Having the only fc in the country is like shooting a 450 inch bull on a over the counter tag in the lolo zone every year for 10 years in a row. It’s hard for people who are not into it to understand the level of commitment it takes to have a dog at that level. Having worked at a lodge seeing hundreds of dogs a year all the ones that were miss mannered or mean came back to lack of socialization and not as much breed specific I dealt with more mean gsp than all others. Another factor are the idiots who breed their dogs because they can make a quick buck with no health consideration or genetic testing. If you want to see amazing dog work go up to McCall next October for the master nationals will be the best of the best in the hunt test game up there competing.

Reactions: CDK

CBreeze

FNG
problem is his experience is probably more in a year than most in a life time. Having the only fc in the country is like shooting a 450 inch bull on a over the counter tag in the lolo zone every year for 10 years in a row. It’s hard for people who are not into it to understand the level of commitment it takes to have a dog at that level. Having worked at a lodge seeing hundreds of dogs a year all the ones that were miss mannered or mean came back to lack of socialization and not as much breed specific I dealt with more mean gsp than all others. Another factor are the idiots who breed their dogs because they can make a quick buck with no health consideration or genetic testing. If you want to see amazing dog work go up to McCall next October for the master nationals will be the best of the best in the hunt test game up there competing.
Nah. They’ll be tested against a standard. Not competing.

NY16ga

FNG
As others have said, you can certainly do it as long as you're prepared for the amount of work and consistency it will require. My opinion has always been that two puppies at the same time isn't twice the work, more like three or four times...

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
There’s also millions of shelter puppies and dogs in that need homes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the opinion that two puppies it is the same as 2 children - twice more responsibility, care, experience, and funds. Really, they have a fragile organism and they often get sick. You, need, to put down all the necessary vaccinations, regularly carry out the prevention of worms, strictly observe the regime of walks and day, training, and rest, healthy foods and vitamins, hygiene, and health care. There are many necessary things in care as a means for teeth https://thepetsmaster.com/best-water-additive-for-dogs-teeth/, special accessories which you need to have to care for a dog. A dog is a member of the family that needs proper care. It is not a toy.

Last edited:

NE1022

FNG
I am no expert dog trainer but had two GSP pups out of same litter and learned right quick that training together wasn't in the cards. They were more interested in jacking around w each other than me early on. Things changed and it all turned out well in the end. It was a lot of work though and won't be doing it again.