Dog roading bar

Mosby

WKR
I want to start roading my GSP and have been looking at roading bars to put on my ATV. I found one online that looks like it would work well.

I have thought about rigging something up myself but not sure that the savings are worth hours of my time driving around for parts and I'm not sure what I looked at would work anyway. I don't want to risk the dogs safety to save a relatively small amount of money.

Are you guys running your dogs off ATV's and what set up are you using?

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Thought I would post a picture of what I ordered from Lion Country Supply.

Provides a safe way for the dog to get miles in for the fall hunting season off an ATV. A lot of snakes in my area so I am not comfortable having her running free during the summer months.

Attachments

• 1619576289039.png
    1619576289039.png
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 39

Hoghead

WKR
I'm hunting hogs I road my dogs. In between spots I pick them up 3 go in the bed of the rhino. My lead dog sits on the arm rest between me and my buddy if she whines we stop and go get the hog. I don't tie my dogs in a truck rhino or anywhere else. That's just my personal opinion I figure I wouldn't want something around my neck. I do spend a lot of time with my dogs and have a good handle on them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would post a picture of what I ordered from Lion Country Supply.

Provides a safe way for the dog to get miles in for the fall hunting season off an ATV. A lot of snakes in my area so I am not comfortable having her running free during the summer months.
Mosby, can you extend those arms out or do they stay as close to the tires as picture shows?

Last edited:

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I want to start roading my GSP and have been looking at roading bars to put on my ATV. I found one online that looks like it would work well.

I have thought about rigging something up myself but not sure that the savings are worth hours of my time driving around for parts and I'm not sure what I looked at would work anyway. I don't want to risk the dogs safety to save a relatively small amount of money.

Are you guys running your dogs off ATV's and what set up are you using?
I road my dog off of something similar to what is shown in your picture that I made. Works great so far.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I'm hunting hogs I road my dogs. In between spots I pick them up 3 go in the bed of the rhino. My lead dog sits on the arm rest between me and my buddy if she whines we stop and go get the hog. I don't tie my dogs in a truck rhino or anywhere else. That's just my personal opinion I figure I wouldn't want something around my neck. I do spend a lot of time with my dogs and have a good handle on them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I hunted hogs in GA over dogs once. A lot of fun.

Wrench

WKR
I threw my Drahthaar pup on the wheeler with me while plowing snow this winter and took her for rides as often as I could...fast forward 4 months and she will hop on and sit on the rack behind me and I'll take her a couple miles out and let her off. She will run 3 miles at 18mph and most even care. When I finally stop she will hop up on command. I try to keep her about 50 yards behind me so she isn't eating rocks and dust.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I threw my Drahthaar pup on the wheeler with me while plowing snow this winter and took her for rides as often as I could...fast forward 4 months and she will hop on and sit on the rack behind me and I'll take her a couple miles out and let her off. She will run 3 miles at 18mph and most even care. When I finally stop she will hop up on command. I try to keep her about 50 yards behind me so she isn't eating rocks and dust.
Our house borders a large lake and is out in the country. Being close to to the water we have a ton of snakes around and its common to run into them on the road during the summer. I have a young dog and don't want her getting tangled up with a water moccasin, copperhead etc., so the roading bar will allow me to keep her safe while she gets her miles in.

Wrench

WKR
We have a few rattlesnakes ....but not enough to ever worry about. I only worried about her getting picked off by wolves or eagles. She's tough enough now to not worry.....that and I have wolf deterrent all the time.

I can't imagine snakes and gators and swamp monsters.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
We have a few rattlesnakes ....but not enough to ever worry about. I only worried about her getting picked off by wolves or eagles. She's tough enough now to not worry.....that and I have wolf deterrent all the time.

I can't imagine snakes and gators and swamp monsters.
No gators but water moccasins, copperheads and pigmy rattlesnakes are the most common. My neighbor has lost a couple of cats to snake bites and dogs getting bit are common.

I just got my GSP last fall and she is a big ranging dog when loose. She would be on a snake before I could do anything about it. I decided the roading bar was a lot cheaper than the vet bills from a snake bite or having to replace her.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Got the roading bar in from Lion Country Supply. I was surprised how well made and heavy it is. I have to install it but it should last for years.

WKR
Throw up a pic when you get it installed. My drahts could probably benefit. Is it okay to road them early am on asphalt or need to stick with dirt. Have access to both but at the end of the asphalt is an open 160 acre field I can use.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Throw up a pic when you get it installed. My drahts could probably benefit. Is it okay to road them early am on asphalt or need to stick with dirt. Have access to both but at the end of the asphalt is an open 160 acre field I can use.
I have to put in a new battery in my ATV before attaching the roading bar. Got the battery today and hoping to put everything back together tomorrow morning. I will try to get a picture up this week.

I am going to be running her on gravel roads and I need to be careful to check pads frequently, Hot and hard surfaces can be tough on their pads. I am going to treat her pads with musher's secret or tuf-foot and check the pads when I stop to give her water. I am hoping the pads will toughen up after a few weeks but I am going to road her 3 days a week, with a day off in between to start. I am going to run early in the morning before the temps go up. Better for the dog and her feet. I have read not to run them if its hotter than 85 degrees. I will probably not go out when the temps are past 80 degrees and play it safe.

WKR
Ordered my setup today. Going to start running one at a time and may double up once they get the hang of it. Ordered Mushers secret as well. Hoping to toughen up feet at same time.

WKR
Well got the bar installed and the training harness came in. Dogs have had two runs each now and it is going well. They start wagging their tail now when they see me grab the harness. I got the one sided atv rack and I push it as far over to the right as I can. This keeps mine away from my tire nicely and they can run on the road edge safely. Just running one at a time right now and may keep it that way.

Have a lot to learn but they seem to love it. Can see them hitting mid Sept in pretty good shape.

WKR
Here is a pic of the younger one. He goes 65 pounds but the harness is a touch big for him.That allows him to get over closer to the atv than I want. On the 80 pounder its tight and he is good to go. I don't want mine closer than this and that won't allow using a double sided version of this.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Looks great You're ahead of me. I got my new battery installed in my Yamaha, got it cleaned up a bit but had to stop there. We got a ton of rain and I had to drop everything and work on my gravel driveway for a couple of days. Getting some minor surgery in the morning and will hand around Kansas City until I get my stitches out late next week. Should be able to get the bar on after that and start the roading process.