Dog seizure

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
My 5 year old GSP had a seizure yesterday while we were hunting. This is the first time she’s ever had one. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some breeds are more prone to them and it may not be an issue unless it’s chronic.
10% of the human population will suffer a single seizure in their lifetime and never have another with no family history or cause. Can you check the bloodline for any history?

OP
cmankingsley

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
Some breeds are more prone to them and it may not be an issue unless it’s chronic.
10% of the human population will suffer a single seizure in their lifetime and never have another with no family history or cause. Can you check the bloodline for any history?

Thanks for the reply. Dog was back yard bred and I have lost contact with the guy I bought her from. So no way of checking the bloodline

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Had a 3 yr old GSP do this. Wasn’t out in the field, had just gotten off the bus from school, he ran up to me had a seizure and died. Who knows.

dtrkyman

WKR
I had a lab that had a severe one, she was older, around 10 I think, thought she would never recover but after a few months she was probably 90%, at her age I think I got lucky.

Is your dog back to normal?

Our wiener dog had one , we took him to Vet and turned out to be a Liver shunt. If finances allow id take your dog in for a check over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TFrank

WKR
My buddies setter had seized right in front of me while we where chasing pheasants a few years back. The only thing we came up with was it maybe due to electrolytes, or wet/cold/ wind just caused an interruption. Sorry I can’t offer much insight, but just wanted to share as I realize how scary that situation is. Very crappy feeling watching our buddy like that. Good news no issues since and still a great dog. He was a younger dog when it happened too.

OP
cmankingsley

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I had a lab that had a severe one, she was older, around 10 I think, thought she would never recover but after a few months she was probably 90%, at her age I think I got lucky.

Is your dog back to normal?

She is completely back to normal now. She was lethargic for maybe an hour after and then running around acting normal since then. I free feed her and don’t really pay attention to how much she eats or drinks. Just keep it topped off. I do know she didn’t eat before we hunted only thing I can figure is the electrolyte or blood sugar thing.

Michael54

WKR
I keep a pack of peanut butter crackers in my pocket for this reason. I havent had it happen personally but have seen it in a few of my buddies hunting dogs. Now if i see my dogs are a bit off after a long while of hunting they get a cracker. If that doesnt fix it i just call it a day.

Yes

Like with any seizure, try to keep them from hurting themselves.

Get to vet, they can prescribe meds that will GREATLY REDUCE the frequency.

505Wapiti

WKR
My chocolate lab started having seizures as a puppy and vet could not determine a cause. I researched online and read a few things about heart wormer medication causing them. Switched the meds and the seizures stopped, not sure if coincidence or not, but he is 7 years old now and we are 6 years without a seizure.

manitou1

WKR
Low blood sugar or electorlyte imbalance can cause this. We always carried baggies of peanut butter on bread and gave that to them throughout the day if hunting them hard. Plenty of water too. They probably take 2500 steps, mostly running, per every step we take while bird hunting.
Could also be genetic or like stated above, liver shunt. If you can get the pup to a vet soon after an episode they can run tests (bloodwork tells a lot).

dtrkyman

WKR
Reminds me I saw a guys dog have a seizure at a public hunting area, some older guys came up and told them to give the dog some "sweets" nobody had any but the old timers were all over it.

May be a thing?

Had you guys been hunting a while before the seizure?

My buddy's setter has done this a couple times. Hypoglycemia? He keeps a sweet toothpaste kind of stuff on hand and will give the dog a squeeze if they are on a longer run. Limits the runs to less than a couple hours. Doesn't run that dog too hard. Making these changes he has been able to avoid all future recurrences.

OP
cmankingsley

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
Had you guys been hunting a while before the seizure?

My buddy's setter has done this a couple times. Hypoglycemia? He keeps a sweet toothpaste kind of stuff on hand and will give the dog a squeeze if they are on a longer run. Limits the runs to less than a couple hours. Doesn't run that dog too hard. Making these changes he has been able to avoid all future recurrences.

We had been hunting all day. But I have hunted her all day a couple times a week during the season for her whole life and never had a problem before. I’m hoping taking the precautions for hypoglycemia will prevent any more problems. Thanks!

Sheepdog

FNG
I keep a couple single serving honey packets with me in my vest after having a clients dog have a seizure. We ran him back to the club house and used some Karo syrup to rub on his gums. They took him to the vet and found out he had cancer effecting his liver. He was a great pup not even two yet.

I talked to my vet about the whole deal and he said it can happen when the dogs electrolytes are out of wack. It’s usually a dog that’s older, out of shape, in extreme conditions for to long, or with some unseen medical issue. He suggested carrying the honey to get the dog feeling better on the way to the vet. I also found and use a couple products from Elements dog supplements. I used the exercise recovery and the hydration. Giving them to the dogs before during and after. It really seemed to help them on those back to back excessively wet/cold or hot days.

Just to be safe I’d take them to the vet to get checked out. A simple blood test could save the dogs life if there is something else going on or put you mind at ease about getting them back out to the field.

OP
cmankingsley

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. My dog ended up having two more seizures after we hunted last week. Took her to the vet and blood work came back normal. Diagnosed epilepsy. She will have to be on meds probably for the rest of her life.

Thanks for all the replies. My dog ended up having two more seizures after we hunted last week. Took her to the vet and blood work came back normal. Diagnosed epilepsy. She will have to be on meds probably for the rest of her life.

Ahh man, this is what I was getting from this thread but was hoping I was wrong. The good news is that the meds they'll put her on will greatly reduce the seizures. We had a Chesapeake growing up who had severe (undiagnosed) epilepsy. The first time he had a seizure in front of me I thought he was a goner for sure. After getting meds, he never had another one, to my knowledge. Passed away last month at 14 or 15. He lived a long, happy, healthy life. Hope this gives you some light at the end of the tunnel man.

Jonn44

FNG

Sorry to hear about your dog. My chocolate lab (4yo) had one around Christmas and again 9 days later. Both times it was within minutes of the same time and same situation. Her morning routine is out of the kennel to straight out the door to relieve herself. I also have a 4.5 year old black lab. They both go out run the same lines around the house and comeback in for morning feeding. So my chocolate is very food driven and she rushes to the bowl, sits and waits for the “ok” command. Less then 30 seconds later I hear her scrabbling around and it looks like she is choking. Ended up being a seizure also. When she came to she walked right into the pantry and smacked the wall with her head. Her hackles were up and she was acting aggressive. I got her out in the yard and she finally came back to her senses. It was pretty awful event to go through knowing I couldn’t do anything to help her. 9 days later she has another one in the same scenario.

Got her into the vet and turns out she has epilepsy. We decided to monitor her and change her routine and so far that has helped. Instead of having her come into the house with food in the bowl and wait. I now bring her in, have her wait, then present the food and give the “ok” command. Trying to avoid the medication route for now.

Tobias

FNG

My dog developed epilepsy about three years ago, when he was 4. His seizures weren’t severe- basically one side of his body would seize and he’d lose balance- , but they lasted 20+ minutes and he was having 3-4 a day. When they first started it was a daily occurrence until he was prescribed his meds. After about 6 months I weaned him off by reducing his dose slowly and eventually (about a year in) I stopped altogether. He’s only had one since. There’s a ton of literature out there on it, apparently it’s fairly common for dogs to develop this condition and then grow out of it. Good luck, and give your dog a pat for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk