Dog training books

I used Wolters to train my Golden Retriever 10 years ago and he turned out awesome. I've been using it as a baseline for training my Griff, but the breeds' personalities are totally different.

Griffs are extremely intelligent and do not respond well to negative reinforcement. My Golden was intelligent too and was a phenomenal bird and family dog, but did fine with all of Wolter's techniques.

However, after struggling with obedience training this summer, I contacted the breeder. Cliff told me that Griffs respond best to positive reinforcements including treats. In fact, he still treats his middle aged NAVHDA champions in the field when guiding and on personal hunts.

I can say that after switching up my training regimine, Oscar responded tremendously and he is killing it so far. He turns 5 months this week, and I had him out for a hunt at a local game farm yesterday. My daughter and I harvested 5 of 6 birds that were released in blustery wind conditions and Oscar pointed/flushed all 5. He did not retrieve any of the birds to hand, but he wrestled and pinned all but 1 that was DOA to the ground and held them until one of us was able to pick it up. We are focusing on retrieving now and I'm hoping when his adult teeth come in maybe that will help too. However, his performacne at 5 months was pretty damn spectacular.

Last edited:
OP
Eltigreblanco
I used Wolters to train my Golden Retriever 10 years ago and he turned out awesome. I've been using it as a baseline for training my Griff, but the breeds' personalities are totally different.

Griffs are extremely intelligent and do not respond well to negative reinforcement. My Golden was intelligent too and was a phenomenal bird and family dog, but did fine with all of Wolter's techniques.

However, after struggling with obedience training this summer, I contacted the breeder. Cliff told me that Griffs respond best to positive reinforcements including treats. In fact, he still treats his middle aged NAVHDA champions in the field when guiding and on personal hunts.

I can say that after switching up my training regimine, Oscar responded tremendously and he is killing it so far. He turns 5 months this week, and I had him out for a hunt at a local game farm yesterday. My daughter and I harvested 5 of 6 birds that were released in blustery wind conditions and Oscar pointed/flushed all 5. He did not retrieve any of the birds to hand, but he wrestled and pinned all but 1 that was DOA to the ground and held them until one of us was able to pick it up. We are focusing on retrieving now and I'm hoping when his adult teeth come in maybe that will help too. However, his performacne at 5 months was pretty damn spectacular.
This is my little guy Dutch. He's 3 months old. I've been working on come, and place training. He responds great with treats. He's pretty soft , and praise works wonders with him. Im hoping to start working with birds very soon
20211122_163238.jpg

This is my little guy Dutch. He's 3 months old. I've been working on come, and place training. He responds great with treats. He's pretty soft , and praise works wonders with him. Im hoping to start working with birds very soon
View attachment 348908

bc763551ee4c6247f4b961d4afc86a01.jpg

Tilly… our 3 mo GWP. Bought to hit the training hard. Great dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing & Shot by Robert G.Wehle
Excellent Book
copyright 1964, my book is the 4th printing of May 1971

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I know you asked for books but, if you want some really good stuff to digest on youtube check out Stonnie Dennis.

KurtR

WKR
For retrievers Dokkens book is good. Freddy Kings total retriever trainer is hard to beat for 60 dollars from puppies to Grand dogs all on video and help for any questions. If you want to get super serious Mike Lardy total retriever training, Evan Grahms smart works. Dannny Farmer and Dennis Voigt both have dvds that are really good,

Foldem

WKR
I know your dog isn't a pointing lab, but I used "Training the Pointing Labrador" by Julie Knutson (also trained with her) for my lab (not a pointing lab). I omitted the pointing lab specific chapters and used the rest. I was very happy with it for my upland/waterfowl lab.

jimh406

WKR
I agree Richard Wolters is very good. Dogs haven't changed in 50 years, so his methods will still work. Most of his books are focused on how to do training in limited space with limited materials.

However, most books are going to be ok. You might also ask your breeder.

Keep in mind that dogs with good breeding will almost train themselves and have a strong desire to please. However, you can get some highly energetic dogs (bred that way on purpose) that need a bit more work. Also, remember that more dogs have been made worse by trying to force too much out of the dog too soon and with heavy handed methods.

Buzby

WKR
I’ll second the NAVHDA green book. But it should be combined with joining your local NAVHDA chapter and attending training days. It was an immeasurable help to me, and have made lifelong friends with several members.