Dogs and Big Game Hunting

Wellsdw

WKR
Glad this thread popped up. To you folks who take dogs in to back country camps.... I have a few ????s. how do you tether your dog in camp. Did any of you have to break your dog in to being left alone on a tether. And how far away to you place your camp from where you start hunting. Thinking that realistically the dog at some point will bark or alert at some point. Planning on taking my trailing Mal hunting in Wyoming the sept for a couple weeks. Any info is appreciated

You make a lovely couple...matching camo and all. ;) Strongly recommend snake training for the dog.

Lowg08

WKR
I don’t take mine on hunting trips only scouting and trips I ain’t leaving him. To many bears and coyotes to be tied up alone for my comfort and our deer are already in the witness protection program. His presence would just make it more difficult

I've seen a few posts on here from people in Colorado who had a dog along when they killed an elk.

Fourth rifle a few years ago I watched a couple head up the trail with their pooch.

I've always wanted to bring mine as he is my favorite mountain companion but it just hasn't worked out.

The big game regulations in Colorado do state that it is illegal to "use dogs", but I feel that the word "use" leaves some margin for interpretation.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
I have 6 pointers now and have had several over the yearsthat rifle hunt with me. I’ve never used them to locate game, they have told me a few times when another hunter or a bear was around.i would not leave them alone while you stalk though. Something liable to make a meal out of him if he’s staked or leashed. Can you think of anything better to have in Griz country while skinning out

Not being a Dik....but staking out a dog while you're gone isnt a good idea. And if Mal is short for Malamute....I'd be very careful in Wolf Tag states of doing anything off leash outside of any established town.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my Brittany spaniels with me over the last thirty years of hunting elk and deer in Oregon, Idaho and Montana. I have been checked by wildlife law in all three state and they have always said my dog was OK to have on leash while big game hunting.

Overall, when I have the dog with me I enjoy his company and stay out longer rather than worrying about him in the truck. This helps. However in many ways the dog is a disadvantage. He spooks game and the leash gets tangled in the brush. If I have a situation where I am really expecting and pressured to harvest, I leave the dog in the truck.

Matt Rinella (Steve's wildlife PhD brother) hunts with a corgi. Meateater Podcast 187 has a nice little anecdote about a successful elk hunt in Idaho where he brought the dog. Dogs are illegal for hunting big game (except lions) in Colorado. Not sure where the DNR guys would stand if you had a dog in camp. Hanging in camp, the dog isn't engaged or aiding in hunting. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

1585944698707.png

kickemall

WKR
I always have one and it solves a lot more problems than it causes but I'm in a state where, for now, its legal. The biggest thing is having a very solid handle on it. When you tell it to stay, it stays. When you tell it to heel off leash it never leaves your side. One of the best things they can do is keep bears out of camp at night. When mine stands up and growls I know what's up then he will run them out of camp if I tell him to. I'm only talking black bears though. I've always found that cow dogs seem to work best for how I use them. Generally heelers are smart, handle well and should do well for you.
Edit - One of the reasons I like cowdogs is they have a little size and can run a cripple down and bay it up if needed.

Last edited:

Wellsdw

WKR
Not being a Dik....but staking out a dog while you're gone isnt a good idea. And if Mal is short for Malamute....I'd be very careful in Wolf Tag states of doing anything off leash outside of any established town.
No Not a malamute, he is a Belgium malinois. No wolves or grizzly “allegedly “. He’s Highly trained on and off leash, very obedient. But would not hang in a camp off leash unattended. My tether plan was more in line with a high line vs a stake &chain. Biggest reason I want him with me is one being solo, two he is trained in recovery.

No Not a malamute, he is a Belgium malinois. No wolves or grizzly “allegedly “. He’s Highly trained on and off leash, very obedient. But would not hang in a camp off leash unattended. My tether plan was more in line with a high line vs a stake &chain. Biggest reason I want him with me is one being solo, two he is trained in recovery.
Forgot about that Mal....our working Mals are GONZO! No Thanks. You'll come back to camp with 3 dead Grizz and a dog with 20' of steel cable in it's guts. Good Luck with that!

Dinger

WKR
Edited to change picture, wrong one initially posted.

I know the OP said he would not use the dog to assist in finding game....here is the other side of the coin where that is why the dog is there. Might be useful for context before you put yourself in a position where you have to defend your actions to a regulatory representative.

In Australia and New Zealand where legal (ie no National Parks and approved breeds only) having a dog along to find deer is common place. Less common is a dedicated blood trailing dog. I find my GWP finds down deer fairly rapidly just air scenting.

Having a dog beside you can be an absolute game changer for finding deer, a trained dog will walk you onto a deer like its on a string. That said there is a huge gap between most deer dogs and a properly trained dog. It is easy to get a dog up to the point it will indicate deer that are upwind, much more work is needed to get it to where you follow the dog to the deer's location. My bitch would air scent indicate deer 500 yards away before she was 12 months old, she knew what I was interested in and was switched on to that scent. She learnt quickly to ignore wombats, roo's, foxes etc. She still shows some interest but nothing near like when her nostrils catch waft of deer scent....her head goes up and she start flicking me that 'look', if she thinks they are close she barely moves, locks into a direction and will only move if encouraged. When I see her slow down and nostrils twitch I'm 90% on my bino's trying to spot the deer.

No affiliation at all to these guys but anyone looking at using dogs to indicate deer will find them interesting. And anyone using dogs as companions should understand just how easy the dog will become a game finder for you. Not advocating you do that but understand how easy it will be for others to perceive your intent differently.

I solo hunt a lot so having a pooch along that is well trained is great companionship. She is low maintenance and rarely more than 30 yards from me night or day.

She usually just bunks down inside the shelter near my feet or at the entry way.

i-jx3r7c5-X3.jpg

20170402_061536-X2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J

JMDavies

WKR
Good insight. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.
I know the OP said he would not use the dog to assist in finding game....here is the other side of the coin where that is why the dog is there. Might be useful for context before you put yourself in a position where you have to defend your actions to a regulatory representative.

In Australia and New Zealand where legal (ie no National Parks and approved breeds only) having a dog along to find deer is common place. Less common is a dedicated blood trailing dog. I find my GWP finds down deer fairly rapidly just air scenting.

Having a dog beside you can be an absolute game changer for finding deer, a trained dog will walk you onto a deer like its on a string. That said there is a huge gap between most deer dogs and a properly trained dog. It is easy to get a dog up to the point it will indicate deer that are upwind, much more work is needed to get it to where you follow the dog to the deer's location. My bitch would air scent indicate deer 500 yards away before she was 12 months old, she knew what I was interested in and was switched on to that scent. She learnt quickly to ignore wombats, roo's, foxes etc. She still shows some interest but nothing near like when her nostrils catch waft of deer scent....her head goes up and she start flicking me that 'look', if she thinks they are close she barely moves, locks into a direction and will only move if encouraged. When I see her slow down and nostrils twitch I'm 90% on my bino's trying to spot the deer.

No affiliation at all to these guys but anyone looking at using dogs to indicate deer will find them interesting. And anyone using dogs as companions should understand just how easy the dog will become a game finder for you. Not advocating you do that but understand how easy it will be for others to perceive your intent differently.

I solo hunt a lot so having a pooch along that is well trained is great companionship. She is low maintenance and rarely more than 30 yards from me night or day.

She usually just bunks down inside the shelter near my feet or at the entry way.

i-sfgNV5C-X3.jpg

20170402_061536-X2.jpg
Good insight. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Okhotnik

WKR
Glad this thread popped up. To you folks who take dogs in to back country camps.... I have a few ????s. how do you tether your dog in camp. Did any of you have to break your dog in to being left alone on a tether. And how far away to you place your camp from where you start hunting. Thinking that realistically the dog at some point will bark or alert at some point. Planning on taking my trailing Mal hunting in Wyoming the sept for a couple weeks. Any info is appreciated

My hunting dog goes everywhere hiking, fly fishing and some back country hikes camping. I always have an e collar and a bell hiking back country with her.

I would never leave a dog alone tied to something in the back country. And I would never take my dog big game hunting.

Fatcamp

WKR
It is our intention with this one. Half German/half Australian Shepard. He is 6 months old now and doing very well.

KIMG2766.JPG

I wish this one was 30 pounds heavier. Would take her for sure.
KIMG2805.JPG

kyleds8

FNG
I know this thread is long-dead, but wanted to chime in on the yay side if anyone's comes across it. I hunt deer w/ my dog in Idaho, great companionship when out alone- most effective bear deterrent, hot-water bottle in the tent, very useful finding shot game. I just drop the backpack with him tied to it while I go to make a shot and tell him to stay. So far only rifle hunting. I'd say it is slightly nerve-racking if gone for a while with lions and wolves, but he is quiet and I try not to leave him long. Will attempt bow-hunting this weekend, see how it goes.

Rokbar

WKR
As long as it's legal to have one along with you on a hunt I'd say go for it. It's your hunt.

Fatcamp

WKR
Mine is growing up. He goes everywhere.
Got himself in trouble last weekend but he's just a kid so forgiven. Nice to not have cows in camp.

KIMG3081~2.JPG