Dogs and the working family

Hey all, we live in suburbia and I work probably 60-70 hours per week and my wife works about 25. I have a 5 and 7 year old. They (and I) really want a new puppy. My wife feels that we cannot get one because we work. I see the point, but then I think, most families now this day and age have two working parents. That means dog ownership should be significantly decreased, and I doubt that. So to the internets I go and all I see is a bunch of magazine type articles. I have learned to read those with a grain of salt, because many articles are written by people with no expertise of the subject matter.

How can one get a new puppy when nobody is at the home for say 5-8 hours 3-4 days per week? Weekends are obviously not an issue and there is a day my wife is home during the week and another day she only works a few hours. Honestly I wish she would just stay home as she doesn't make much money but she really enjoys it so I keep it zipped. Are there certain breeds better than others? I don't want our couch to turn into dog food and obviously don't want potty accidents around the house. Obviously we could gate off a section of the house, but I am not liking the idea of having a "safe place" to go to the bathroom indoors.

Anyone have any thoughts or personal experience?

Thanks

Ryan

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
We just got a new puppy a little over 6 months ago (much against my better judgement. I did not want another dog. We lost our first family dog of 11 years a year ago Wednesday) We have a very similar working situation, but lucky for Gus (the new puppy) my wife works from home. It was a rough process, but as much as I didn't want him I love him. He and I are the only guys in the house. The dog will be fine just go get one she'll love it in time.

TSAMP

WKR
I'd say your wife is right. She probably should get the final say, since she is likely the primary one taking care of it based on your schedules.
If your dead set on a pet perhaps adopt an older low energy dog.

While their are ways to make it work with your schedules and a pup, I'd wait it out until schedules mellow out, it will be more enjoyable for all involved and you'll end up with a better dog because of it.

ChrisS

WKR
When my wife and I were working at the office, we got a rescue Brittany pup. Fortunately, we had two things work out for us: 1) he was pretty content dog, so his destructive tendencies* didn't get too crazy (a couple of dog beds, a curtain he would chew on, and that's about it); 2) we had a family friend who worked nearby the house and she or her daughter would stop at lunch and take him for a quick walk.

He was crated for most of his first 6 months with us whenever we weren't home as well as overnight. I walked him for at least 30 minutes every morning and then played/trained him in the evening, even if for just 15 minutes. He turned out to as a pretty damn good dog, but I felt bad about the keeping him crated for 16-18 hours a day basically. After he passed on, I decided I wasn't getting another dog until I'm retired.

*My friend's GSP pup was left home alone for long days and he chewed up about $1,200 worth of boots & shoes one afternoon.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
It’s perfectly doable. My wife and I work 40 to 60 hours a week and have a 2 month old and a four year old. Get a 12’x12’ chain link kennel with a cover for when no one has a home and get the kids on board with helping make sure it is fed and exercised.

slvrslngr

WKR
If you have to ask the question, then I think you already know the answer. Good dogs take work, you don’t have the time and your wife doesn’t have the desire to deal with a puppy. If you must have a dog, I’d suggest adopting a well vetted adult rather than a puppy.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
When I was single but home way more than before (shrinking my social life) I decided to get a dog. I knew a puppy would make for a hard situation since I couldn't go home during lunch to let him out, and I didn't want to keep the puppy kenneled for 8-10hrs a day. I ended up rescuing a 2-3 year old chill dog. He was awesome from the get go, already house broken, not destructive, and just chilled out. Loved his walked first thing in the morning and first thing in the evenings after work. During days off I would take him on some local trails and the beach. 10 years later, he has slowed down where he is the brown dog that lays around. He follows my wife around when she is home, and if she isn't home he follows me around. I couldn't ask for a better dog.

My wife and I wanted a golden retreiver for a while. We knew it would be a hard situation because neither of us worked from home or close to home to let it out during lunch. A couple years ago, we rescued a 3 year old golden retriever. She is an amazing dog, who isn't destructive, save for a couple of kitchen towels she ate because of food residue when we first got her. Great family dog.

My wife and I agreed that we wouldn't get a puppy unless one of us worked from home full time or until we are retired. That way the care and training of the puppy can be handled accordingly.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Picked up an 8 week old puppy 8 days ago. I work from home 100% so that works out, but it is still a constant thing to let her out every hour or so.....have to get up alot during the night as well....their little bladders and guts can't store it like a grown dog's can.

How many puppies have you raised before?

We kind of have the opposite situation as I did not want another dog (as we already have a very well behaved and low maintenance 8 yr old), but my wife really wanted another one ever since our last one passed away 3 years ago....we used to always have 2 but I really liked just having 1 these last 3 yrs.

If your wife cannot get onboard with it, I would not do it right now.

Also, as others have said you may consider rescuing an older dog. The downside to that is a short time you will have with them before you get to the "older" stage, which means medications, extra vet bills, and an upset family when it passes/you have to put it down. My inlaws went through a couple of rescues in a row. There was always some behavior issue they couldn't handle because the thing was too firmly fixed in bad ways, health issues, and then it would be on the ropes. I think they averaged 3 or 4 years with each one....now they don't have a dog at all.

The good thing about a puppy is you get to train the dog. You will know it's whole story, and you will enjoy it for at least a decade.

KurtR

WKR
If you can’t leave work to let them out often then it won’t work or be fair to the dog. If the wife is not 100 percent on board then it really won’t work

Poser

WKR
Pricey, but you might be able to find a dog day care place close to your work that you could take him to those 3 days a week your wife isn’t home. Do that for a couple of months until he’s content.

They take A LOT of work, time and attention, and also can be a hindrance to traveling etc. So make sure you want one really bad. But, it is totally doable in a working household. Outdoor kennel with some shade or weather protection is one option. Also, I dont see an issue keeping a dog in a crate for 8 hours while you are at work. Just be prepared to clean up some messes until they get accustomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think every kid should grow up with a dog! Your family's schedule is busy, maybe an older adoptable dog would be a good option. Raising a pup with 2 working folks and busy kids is hard but completely doable.
Also something to consider. If the wife is against getting a pup, will she grow to resent it? My wife loathes my dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: WCB

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe start out with a turtle.... or a rabbit first. See how that works out.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Depends mostly on the dog. We just got a puppy about 6 months ago. He’s a terrorist. Not necessarily destructive, just full of energy and always getting the other two dogs riled up in the house. They take a lot of work and need more exercise than most people realize. Our dogs spend an average of 3-4 hours a day outside running, the puppy should probably be outside running all day.

WCB

WKR
My wife and I work full time (she is a teacher so she works 9 months of the year). We have two dogs and two kids (2.5 and 5 months).

You could always foster a dog and see how that goes. I know my sister in law did this multiple times. You are not committed to a dog for years and can get a feel on how it would go. If the family does get attached you can always adopt it.

For the puppy route...you know they make small dog crates/kennels right? The dog doesn't need the run of the house when you are not home. Put the puppy in the kennel. Feed them right when you get up in the morning let them out multiple times before you leave and immediately when you get home. They are going to have accidents for a little bit. But if you are consistent should be no issues after a couple months.

Is it worth it to have to hear "I told you we shouldn't get a damn dog" for the next several years?

Make sure the wife buys into it because she controls the most important part of a happy marriage

OP
ryjack70ss
Thanks everyone for your input. I am torn as I feel a pup would be a great part of life for the kids but unless my wife decides to slow down I don’t think it’s in the cards, especially until the kids can be more of a part of it. I think we will wait a few years and they can help with some of the responsibilities.