Dogs and the working family

MJB

If family dog get a golden really mellow and smart.
Stay away from rescues they are not the best for first timers due to the way they may have been handled.
And remember it's a commitment for life of the dog..... Don't overthink it and just do it, kennel during the day and you'll be fine

Rob960

I work 45-50 hours per week and my wife works 40 and we have two dogs we raised from pups. Tow words-Crate Training! They were crated for their first year of life each.

id_jon

I always advise against getting a dog to anyone who asks, if you have to ask, then the answer is probably no.

If you do get a dog, crate training is a must in my opinion.

cod007

And remember it's a commitment for life of the dog..... Don't overthink it and just do it, kennel during the day and you'll be fine
Not meaning to pick on just your post here as many others have brought up this ‘just crate him’ thing.
Very disappointing to hear this commentary. Dogs are family members. They are not meant to be put ‘away on a shelf’, in a crate, out of sight, like a toy of some sort. Just out at your convenience.
We had a neighbor couple next to us in our condo years ago who thought crating their large dog in the under condo garage would be a great idea while they worked 5 days a week. Little did they realize that their (beloved) pet spent 7 hours a day in that crate howling, whining, barking, and throwing himself against the crate, until I enlightened them after a week of hearing him in our unit day after day.
I’m not saying crating a dog can’t be done, but to make a blanket statement that it will be all fine is incorrect.
If you don’t/won’t value your dog as a member of your family/pack, entertain yourself with a turtle or gerbil. (My apologies to turtle and gerbil aficionados).

007hunter

Look for a doggy day care in your area. I think around here they run about $20 a day.

GSPHUNTER

We have had dogs from day one and we have both worked full time the entire time, 43 years. Train them right from the get go and give them plenty of exercise when you are home. We have always had at least two dogs and they keep themselves entertained while we are gone . We only use crates until we know we can trust them, then they have the run of the house and yard, we have doggy door and they come and go as they please.

Reactions: MJB
OP
ryjack70ss

ryjack70ss

Thanks. This would not be our first dog. My wife had a cavalier King Charles but she passed away almost 3 years ago. We will get a dog at some point but the wife needs to be on board. The kids will likely keep the pressure up. A soccer kids parents just got two GSP puppies my kids were playing with at the game tonight! Chipping away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

Thanks. This would not be our first dog. My wife had a cavalier King Charles but she passed away almost 3 years ago. We will get a dog at some point but the wife needs to be on board. The kids will likely keep the pressure up. A soccer kids parents just got two GSP puppies my kids were playing with at the game tonight! Chipping away!

I have had had 5 GSP's. on #6 now, great family dogs and great hunters, never had anything except great hunters. They are HIGH energy dogs, if they a possibility. Soccer parents will find this out, if they don't already know the bread. Talk to them in several months.

IdahoElk

Thanks everyone for your input. I am torn as I feel a pup would be a great part of life for the kids but unless my wife decides to slow down I don’t think it’s in the cards, especially until the kids can be more of a part of it. I think we will wait a few years and they can help with some of the responsibilities.

That sounds like a great idea

FatCampzWife

I've had puppies 3 times over the past 28 years...24 of them with kids. The 1st pup I got while I was in school...plenty of time to train it. He was a red heeler, & could speak, quiet, sit, stay, lay down, go to bed, knew every one of his 6+ different toys, fetched (whichever toy i asked for) & helped herd/train colts. 2nd pup was after we had our first kid & we both worked...took a long time for it to stop chewing shoes, & was a sweet soul (laid back). Was super good with the kiddo, but disappeared from our place one night, never to return. That was 23 years ago. Nothing but older rescues & strays until just short of 2 years ago. I get most of January off, & half of December, so I knew I'd have time for a pup. Got one December 16th for our 10 & 12 year old boys. He's a shepherd cross (German & Australian), so he's fairly smart, rambunctious, & aims to please. Except for a few garbage & chewing mishaps, he's been a great dog. But, I've spent a LOT of hours with him, especially in the beginning. Lucky for him/us, covid allowed me to be home with him most of the first 8 months of his life. He's 2 now, & goes almost everywhere with us. Whwn left home, he ALWAYS rests his head on the picture window & watches us pathetically as we leave, but he behaves when left alone.
If you know at least one if you will be home most of the time over some break, I'd say take the opportunity & get a pup. Otherwise, an older, housebroke rescue may better suit your lifestyles right now. When your kids are older, they can help train a pup over summer break, if that's an option. Just my 2 cents. Keep us posted!