Dogs and the working family

MJB

WKR
If family dog get a golden really mellow and smart.
Stay away from rescues they are not the best for first timers due to the way they may have been handled.
And remember it's a commitment for life of the dog..... Don't overthink it and just do it, kennel during the day and you'll be fine

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I work 45-50 hours per week and my wife works 40 and we have two dogs we raised from pups. Tow words-Crate Training! They were crated for their first year of life each.

id_jon

WKR
I always advise against getting a dog to anyone who asks, if you have to ask, then the answer is probably no.

If you do get a dog, crate training is a must in my opinion.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
And remember it's a commitment for life of the dog..... Don't overthink it and just do it, kennel during the day and you'll be fine
Not meaning to pick on just your post here as many others have brought up this ‘just crate him’ thing.
Very disappointing to hear this commentary. Dogs are family members. They are not meant to be put ‘away on a shelf’, in a crate, out of sight, like a toy of some sort. Just out at your convenience.
We had a neighbor couple next to us in our condo years ago who thought crating their large dog in the under condo garage would be a great idea while they worked 5 days a week. Little did they realize that their (beloved) pet spent 7 hours a day in that crate howling, whining, barking, and throwing himself against the crate, until I enlightened them after a week of hearing him in our unit day after day.
I’m not saying crating a dog can’t be done, but to make a blanket statement that it will be all fine is incorrect.
If you don’t/won’t value your dog as a member of your family/pack, entertain yourself with a turtle or gerbil. (My apologies to turtle and gerbil aficionados).

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Look for a doggy day care in your area. I think around here they run about $20 a day.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
We have had dogs from day one and we have both worked full time the entire time, 43 years. Train them right from the get go and give them plenty of exercise when you are home. We have always had at least two dogs and they keep themselves entertained while we are gone . We only use crates until we know we can trust them, then they have the run of the house and yard, we have doggy door and they come and go as they please.

Reactions: MJB
OP
ryjack70ss
Thanks. This would not be our first dog. My wife had a cavalier King Charles but she passed away almost 3 years ago. We will get a dog at some point but the wife needs to be on board. The kids will likely keep the pressure up. A soccer kids parents just got two GSP puppies my kids were playing with at the game tonight! Chipping away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thanks. This would not be our first dog. My wife had a cavalier King Charles but she passed away almost 3 years ago. We will get a dog at some point but the wife needs to be on board. The kids will likely keep the pressure up. A soccer kids parents just got two GSP puppies my kids were playing with at the game tonight! Chipping away!

I have had had 5 GSP's. on #6 now, great family dogs and great hunters, never had anything except great hunters. They are HIGH energy dogs, if they a possibility. Soccer parents will find this out, if they don't already know the bread. Talk to them in several months.

IdahoElk

WKR
Thanks everyone for your input. I am torn as I feel a pup would be a great part of life for the kids but unless my wife decides to slow down I don’t think it’s in the cards, especially until the kids can be more of a part of it. I think we will wait a few years and they can help with some of the responsibilities.

That sounds like a great idea

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I've had puppies 3 times over the past 28 years...24 of them with kids. The 1st pup I got while I was in school...plenty of time to train it. He was a red heeler, & could speak, quiet, sit, stay, lay down, go to bed, knew every one of his 6+ different toys, fetched (whichever toy i asked for) & helped herd/train colts. 2nd pup was after we had our first kid & we both worked...took a long time for it to stop chewing shoes, & was a sweet soul (laid back). Was super good with the kiddo, but disappeared from our place one night, never to return. That was 23 years ago. Nothing but older rescues & strays until just short of 2 years ago. I get most of January off, & half of December, so I knew I'd have time for a pup. Got one December 16th for our 10 & 12 year old boys. He's a shepherd cross (German & Australian), so he's fairly smart, rambunctious, & aims to please. Except for a few garbage & chewing mishaps, he's been a great dog. But, I've spent a LOT of hours with him, especially in the beginning. Lucky for him/us, covid allowed me to be home with him most of the first 8 months of his life. He's 2 now, & goes almost everywhere with us. Whwn left home, he ALWAYS rests his head on the picture window & watches us pathetically as we leave, but he behaves when left alone.
If you know at least one if you will be home most of the time over some break, I'd say take the opportunity & get a pup. Otherwise, an older, housebroke rescue may better suit your lifestyles right now. When your kids are older, they can help train a pup over summer break, if that's an option. Just my 2 cents. Keep us posted!

Okhotnik

WKR
Hey all, we live in suburbia and I work probably 60-70 hours per week and my wife works about 25. I have a 5 and 7 year old. They (and I) really want a new puppy. My wife feels that we cannot get one because we work. I see the point, but then I think, most families now this day and age have two working parents. That means dog ownership should be significantly decreased, and I doubt that. So to the internets I go and all I see is a bunch of magazine type articles. I have learned to read those with a grain of salt, because many articles are written by people with no expertise of the subject matter.

How can one get a new puppy when nobody is at the home for say 5-8 hours 3-4 days per week? Weekends are obviously not an issue and there is a day my wife is home during the week and another day she only works a few hours. Honestly I wish she would just stay home as she doesn't make much money but she really enjoys it so I keep it zipped. Are there certain breeds better than others? I don't want our couch to turn into dog food and obviously don't want potty accidents around the house. Obviously we could gate off a section of the house, but I am not liking the idea of having a "safe place" to go to the bathroom indoors.

Anyone have any thoughts or personal experience?

Thanks

Ryan

Being a life time dog owner I would say based on the info provided and you have no experience with my dogs I would suggest that at this point in your life you and your family are not ready for a dog

People who have not owned and trained dogs dont understand how much time and effort and expense is involved in owning a dog. Usually kids want a dog, butafter a few months the novelty wears off and you’re stuck exercising, feeding and cleaning up after the dog.

tdhanses

WKR
It’s very doable, you just have to make it work, they need let out over lunch for sure. Personally i’d look for a rescue from the pound in the 1yr to 2yr range, just like kids, the first year is the hardest as far as being needy.

If you have to ask the question, then I think you already know the answer. Good dogs take work, you don’t have the time and your wife doesn’t have the desire to deal with a puppy. If you must have a dog, I’d suggest adopting a well vetted adult rather than a puppy.
This is the right answer. There’s plenty of older dogs people have to get rid of for whatever reason or just end up at the animal shelter because they got lost. Hanging out at home alone during the day and getting to be with the family in the evening would be a way better life for them than the alternative. Some Puppies are easy and some take a lot of work and time. I’ve had both and they were all worth it but if you get a puppy that needs more work you’ll just end up with a bad dog without spending enough time. Like said above just spend the time finding a good one so you don’t get someone else’s problem that they didn’t have time for.

KurtR

WKR
agree, and more than one dog so they have company when humans aren't around.
Problem with that is you introduce a whole host of problems. Any dog trainer will tell you getting 2 puppies at once is a bad idea and if you do keep them split up unless it is for short periods of time. A puppy should never be left unsupervised as more bad habits will form. Dogs dont need company they need structure we humanize them to their own detriment. I do it my self and had to fix problems because of it.

Considering you are gone roughly 3x as much as your wife and your wife doesn’t want one I’d drop it. Seems like a good way to create a problem

Problem with that is you introduce a whole host of problems. Any dog trainer will tell you getting 2 puppies at once is a bad idea and if you do keep them split up unless it is for short periods of time. A puppy should never be left unsupervised as more bad habits will form. Dogs dont need company they need structure we humanize them to their own detriment. I do it my self and had to fix problems because of it.
maybe so, my only experience with 2 puppies at once was keeping our first litter of 2 we had a couple years ago (schipperkes) and they did fine. the only issues were down the road, like 18 months old, they were both females and intact (wasn't sure if i was going to breed them) they started fighting each other, so we got them spayed, and they are back to being buddies. i have 4 schipperkes and an old aussie.

as far as humanizing them, dogs are a social species, i personally wouldn't have a dog that was alone most of the day 5 days a week, maybe i am humanizing them, but i couldn't do it, dogs don't get to pick their owners or lifestyle, so i want the ones i own to have a good life, they all like each other and get along well (the old man aussie gets a little "get off my lawn!" with the schipperkes though)

since they don't talk, i don't think anyone really knows what a dog wants, i know mine enjoy each other's company, and i wouldn't feel right having a single dog that's stuck at home alone most of their life.

i'll always have at least a couple schipperkes, they are cool little animals. things would be different if they were working or hunting dogs, but as it is, they aren't... i may purpose one in the future, they are kind of jacks of all trades, they are better herders than my aussie, one points, they are all good sniffers.... i may try to try my little girl blood trailing, i think she would be good at it.

There are so many perfectly good dogs in shelters and rescues. If it’s a pet, you don’t need a puppy and you don’t need a purebred. Haters gonna hate, puppies gonna shit and chew. Many pure breeds come with their own bred in health problems and or typical neuroses. And they cost a ton. Mutts usually have “hybrid vigor” and usually seem less neurotic to me than many purebreds. Both my dogs are shelter mutts and they’re awesome. Didn’t have to housebreak them. One was still kind of a pup so he chewed.

roosiebull makes a good point about them being alone. They almost always like the company of another dog, and leaving them home alone all day is kind of harsh especially for a puppy.

Rich M

WKR
Why do folks kennel a dog all day when they are never home?

I see these folks walking said pooch before work and after. Thing sits in a cage all day. Sucks.

Most folks simply should not have dogs, but they do.

If you have time for one, then by all means do.

I also dont understand the trend that folks get a dog when wife gets preggo. As if they need another anchor or responsibility at that time. Baby and puppy…