Doing some planning...The Frank.

It is the time of year to start planning whether I apply for a sheep tag in Idaho or for a deer or elk controlled hunt. It seems costs to charter a flight into the Frank Church are a closely guarded secret? If anyone who has flown in could shoot me a ballpark idea, it would be greatly appreciated! I just need something for budget purposes.

Thanks

OP
D
It’s not closely guarded. Figure $600ish with variations by company and flight. Call McCall Air, Gem Air, etc. and see who you jive with. They run good outfits.
Thank you for that!
It was kind of a joke, but when I searched on here I saw a few other people had asked, but it didn't appear an answer was ever given. Couldn't figure out why.

It is the time of year to start planning whether I apply for a sheep tag in Idaho or for a deer or elk controlled hunt. It seems costs to charter a flight into the Frank Church are a closely guarded secret? If anyone who has flown in could shoot me a ballpark idea, it would be greatly appreciated! I just need something for budget purposes.

Thanks

You could also charter your own boat. :) You'll work your tail off but be in for a heck of a time. I've only hunted deer and elk in there but I think you'd have a few members here who could help you out. Success rates in some sheep units are approaching MT unlimiteds. I had some sheep in the Frank or right on the border just stare at me like they'd never seen a human in their life. There was a nice ram in the group. Pretty neat experience.

OP
D
You could also charter your own boat. :) You'll work your tail off but be in for a heck of a time. I've only hunted deer and elk in there but I think you'd have a few members here who could help you out. Success rates in some sheep units are approaching MT unlimiteds. I had some sheep in the Frank or right on the border just stare at me like they'd never seen a human in their life. There was a nice ram in the group. Pretty neat experience.

If I get drawn for the hunt then I will take that into consideration as well. I don't wanna get carried away quite yet :) Until my kids are old enough to take a float trip in there, getting drawn for a sheep tag is probably my only bet to get into that country!

GregB

WKR
550-600 seems to be the range for flights from what I have heard from others. I to only put in for OIL hunts so maybe I'll draw before I'm too old.

OP
D
550-600 seems to be the range for flights from what I have heard from others. I to only put in for OIL hunts so maybe I'll draw before I'm too old.

That's what I have been getting as well. I figure if its a OIL tag, I'm doing it right. For that price its worth it to have a little nicer camp set up.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Sawtooth flying service also did this hunters special where they'd fly your meat out for free if you shot something extra like a muley or bear but weren't finished with your hunt just yet. Not sure if they still do it but this was back in 2017.

New Guy

FNG
If you’ve got the time, this seems like a great strategy for improving drawing odds.

BAKPAKR

WKR
What is a Oil tag or hunt?

OIL - Once In a Lifetime

Some states limit you to taking only one of a certain species in a lifetime. In Idaho, those species are Moose (one antlered and one antlerless), Goat, Rocky Mountain Bighorn, and California Bighorn. There are a couple of exceptions such as tags obtained through second controlled hunt drawings, Super Hunt drawings, and the Bighorn auction and raffle.

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
OIL - Once In a Lifetime

Some states limit you to taking only one of a certain species in a lifetime. In Idaho, those species are Moose (one antlered and one antlerless), Goat, Rocky Mountain Bighorn, and California Bighorn. There are a couple of exceptions such as tags obtained through second controlled hunt drawings, Super Hunt drawings, and the Bighorn auction and raffle.
Thanks I was in the Frank Church several years ago Elk hunting. Great country but saw no Elk . To many wolves and bears. Wife did get a really nice Cinnamon bear.

Attachments

• 18A5DE5C-840E-4081-9FB8-DFD862842F6E.jpeg
    18A5DE5C-840E-4081-9FB8-DFD862842F6E.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 41

kbm621

FNG
To everyone who responded with their flight prices in the range of $500-$700 - what did that include for you? Was that a one way flight into the Frank with a certain weight limit? Or was this a round trip drop off and pick up service? I'm in the very early stages of planning a spring wolf/bear hunt and curious if I'll be able to afford a flight. Thank you for any help!

- Keith