Domain Products(For Backwood Plot): No BS, Hot Chic, Etc.

Kade94

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to add a few small hunt plots/Kill Plots/ Hidey Hole Plots onto my property. The property is mainly row pines with oaks mixed in and some volunteer pine. It is very sandy. I’m looking to cut down a few younger pine trees on some edges were older pines meet younger lines to help open up the ground to more sunlight. I’m looking to see if anyone has some experience with Domain products back in the woods that downs receive to much sunlight. I’ve heard good things about No BA and Hot Chic. I’d like to see some of y’all’s backwood food plots.

I’ve been experimenting the last few years with some similar land in northern MN. I tried Domain, no BS last year, and it was ok. I’ve tried a few different brands and mixes (Big Tine, Domain, Whitetail Institute, Evolved Harvest) and the one that has come in best for me was the no till from Big Tine - Buck brunch. I’ve planted 3 different plot spots, only one that gets 8hrs or more of sun, the others only about 4-6. If possible, try to plant before rain. I just rake out the weeds down to dirt and spread with a hand grass seeder. I have never done a soil test, which would probably make a huge difference, but we’re not up there often enough to make regular adjustments if needed. I e heard Domain works great, in better conditions, just wasn’t great for me

I’ve been experimenting the last few years with some similar land in northern MN. I tried Domain, no BS last year, and it was ok. I’ve tried a few different brands and mixes (Big Tine, Domain, Whitetail Institute, Evolved Harvest) and the one that has come in best for me was the no till from Big Tine - Buck brunch. I’ve planted 3 different plot spots, only one that gets 8hrs or more of sun, the others only about 4-6. If possible, try to plant before rain. I just rake out the weeds down to dirt and spread with a hand grass seeder. I have never done a soil test, which would probably make a huge difference, but we’re not up there often enough to make regular adjustments if needed. I e heard Domain works great, in better conditions, just wasn’t great for me

The biggest component in that buck brunch is rye grass (not grain) which is probably why it grows so well. Have you had the other components grow well beyond the grass?

OP
K

Kade94

Lil-Rokslider
how many of you have planted Chicory and Rape in the south and had good luck with it?

NLenz22

FNG
I’m going to try out Hot Chic on two new plots I’m trying to establish this year. Domain seems to be focused on higher quality seed mixes, staying away from rye grass and other “filler seed”, etc. so I thought they were worth a try. I’ll post some pics this fall if we ever get enough rain to get them started…

Many of the “throw and grow” mixes you can pick up at Walmart are pretty tolerant of poor soil, and will come up ok anyway. Those companies have gained a lot of repeat customers simply because a lush green plot of rye grass looks like a success, even if it doesn’t offer much for the deer herd. It’s possible Domain’s mixes may be a little harder to establish than the throw and grows, but if your goal is growing a high quality plot vs. just growing “something”, that may actually be a testament to their quality.

In my opinion, most of the problems people have with food plots stem from not taking the time or spending the money to apply proper lime and fertilizer. A plant can’t offer nutrients to the deer that aren’t already in the soil, so even if you get something to grow, the soil quality will always be a limiting factor. So I would definitely make soil amendments a priority regardless of which mix you decide to plant. Anyway, just my .02, good luck!