Done with 215 Bergers

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Again, I have no axe to grind. All I want to do is kill my animals as quickly and cleanly as possible.

I don't understand why people get their panties all bunched up when you question something (largely referring to other forums).

I don't care if Chevy makes my bullets if they do what they are supposed to, and I could care less if you'd rather shoot a Dodge!

Was it the same box of bullets? I think Berger can F-up some times. @dioni.a.312 had a bad run of Bergers IMO.

In the end, you have to be confident in what you shoot.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. Hybrids say not suitable for hunting right on the box. That being said, lots of people, myself included have harvested animals with them.

The 205 is "designed for hunting".

With all the attention Berger gets on the 215, you think they could tweak the thing a little to give it a "hunting jacket and pedigree" and keep close to the same weight and shape.

I recall talk a few years ago of Berger doing a 215 Elite Hunter (for hunting). I guess they listened to feedback and decided no mods were needed to the existing 215 as it had been working so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Was it the same box of bullets? I think Berger can F-up some times. @dioni.a.312 had a bad run of Bergers IMO.

In the end, you have to be confident in what you shoot.

I bought 1000, all the same lot, this year.

2020 bull is the only animal over taken with this new lot.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I sure haven't had any issues with them. They have expanded, penetrated, and held together just like they are supposed to.
IME they will don't open consistently passed 600 yards. I also had one pencil through at 80 yards on a fat cow. Killed her but she stayed on her feet for a while.

If you don't take long shots you would be fine with the AB I am guessing. But if I didn't take long shots I would use a swift scirocco. The bullet an AB wishes it was. HAHA.

But like I said you name the bullet and someone has had issues with it.

Capman

FNG
I don't really care about using specific bullets, anyone works for me so far it kill animals fine.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
This was my experience with 4 bullets in a row. 20151019_215604.jpg

The first built is actually what killed this deer. Shot was 570 head on and recovered the bullet from the hind quarter. It hit bone on the way in as you can see from the missing chunk of copper. The other was from another deer that I shot twice. This which was recovered and I autopsied the other wound which penciled through the neck.

PA150030.JPG

20151019_221125.jpg

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Yes, I go through the whole box and pick out the perfect ones for hunting.
Picking based only on the eye isn’t enough, did you ever put a drill bit down them? I only do it for the bullets I use for hunting but usually 80% look fine but need a good run through with a .035 drill bit. I just put it in vise gripes and drill by hand. This takes very little time but is very important.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah. Hybrids say not suitable for hunting right on the box. That being said, lots of people, myself included have harvested animals with them.

The 205 is "designed for hunting".

With all the attention Berger gets on the 215, you think they could tweak the thing a little to give it a "hunting jacket and pedigree" and keep close to the same weight and shape.
Hmm, I just looked at the box, nowhere on it does it say not suitable for hunting on it.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Picking based only on the eye isn’t enough, did you ever put a drill bit down them? I only do it for the bullets I use for hunting but usually 80% look fine but need a good run through with a .035 drill bit. I just put it in vise gripes and drill by hand. This takes very little time but is very important.

With the 215's, I've typically found 3-5% in a box with plugged tips. I use a micro drill to check all tips and with the ones that are plugged...this will drill them right out suitable for hunting use. NO BIG DEAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
For anyone who's had issues (@treillw ) - did you actually drill the tips to ensure they were good?

I know, you shouldn't have to with a hunting bullet, but that's something I was advised to do on every single Berger I used for hunting regardless of how they looked.

I've got a small sample size, but they worked well for me this year.

I personally have had shitty luck with Accubonds not giving me passthroughs on broadside small animals, so not a fan of those. Again, small sample size, but not getting a passthrough, and hence zero blood trail, when you hit nothing more than a rib on a small spike whitetail is pretty silly.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

My buddy is a national champion benchrest shooter and on the USA rifle team. I mentioned doing that to him and he told me not to. Says it messes with the flight characteristics. Average shooter might not notice it.

I need to talk to him about this, as I have not yet. He tells me the 215s are good bullets and I obviously respect his opinion.

tdhanses

WKR
How old is that? I’ve bought over 600 this year and the box is way different now and no mention of not for hunting. Interesting to note the recommended barrel twist is different, Berger must of changed their mind on using for hunting and barrel twist.

C58ED9AD-D01D-4B62-961A-D6687E609F75.jpeg60051610-C80A-42AB-88A7-52E0875B86E4.jpeg52FE8B48-DC9D-4B43-814B-54096EE43C32.jpeg554E0D7A-58FA-43C4-BB52-430D0EBA4A72.jpeg

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
My buddy is a national champion benchrest shooter and on the USA rifle team. I mentioned doing that to him and he told me not to. Says it messes with the flight characteristics. Average shooter might not notice it.

I need to talk to him about this, as I have not yet. He tells me the 215s are good bullets and I obviously respect his opinion.
Hmm, Broz, owner of Long Range Only and he also is a 2 miles shooter says otherwise and he has shot many elk with the 215 way further then most plus targets at extreme long range, he says drilling out the cavity is a must for hunting.

I’m not knocking your buddy but it’s extremely possible he is wrong when it comes to Berger’s, I only do it to the bullets I hunt with, adds 15mins to the reloading process.

I will say though Berger did design the bullet to have an open cavity, your not removing any of the bullet just what’s gotten in the cavity during manufacturing.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Dear Gawd.....

None of us could notice the difference including you buddy.

Last edited: