Done With Leica

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Before I rant. I want to say thanks to Doug at Camera Land for helping me "finally" get ahold of Leica. But beyond that Im done with the company. I have a pair of Trinovid binoculars that I needed an objective repair. I was told today that they no longer have the parts to do so and that they were sorry for the "terrible" news. Then no offer for replacement, let alone even a solution or discount on a new pair. Just radio silence after that. Folks, too many good glass companies out there with lifetime warranties now to have to put up with that kind of business. Take your money elsewhere.

JGRaider

WKR
Yeah, in spite of the occasional "Leica customer service has really upped their game" instances, their service really sucks, communication sucks, and pales in comparison to Swaro and Zeiss, and several others. They screwed up my Geovid situation so terribly I wrote them off a couple of years ago.

OP, thanks for the heads up. I was considering Leica for an upcoming purchase; they are now off the short list.

AGPank

WKR
Sorry, more information is needed. Are you the original owner? How old are the models?

I understand the Leica doesn’t service older models like Swarovski might.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have made Trinovids of various sorts for 40 or more years that are very different. Are your's the most recent? Just wondering.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
...Folks, too many good glass companies out there with lifetime warranties now to have to put up with that kind of business. Take your money elsewhere.
sure, but how old are the optics?

Would you have bought a new optic if they offered a discount?

Sorry you had this experience. Sucks when stuck with something that just doesn’t work. Have owned a lot of binoculars and and other sports optics - over the years had a number of repairs by the Big 3. Results have been mixed for all 3 - but usually either spectacular or poor (Yes, including SW). In years past all had lesser warranties than today, so it if is an old model or if not the original owner from authorized dealer they may not cover.

WRT Leica - years ago their warranty and service was not very customer focused and I had a terrible experience. But recently had very good luck with them and my experience could not have been better - great communication, fast service, product replaced. And now, for current products, I believe they offer the best warranty of the Big3. Personally, would have no hesitation in buying a Leica based on warranty coverage.

jt4

WKR
Obviously only the OP knows the whole story but I’m on the opposite end than most so far. It shouldn’t matter how old they are. If they can’t repair them that’s fine and MOST consumers understand this. However, if they are too old to be repaired I believe a reasonable discount on a new pair is warranted.

Obviously only the OP knows the whole story but I’m on the opposite end than most so far. It shouldn’t matter how old they are. If they can’t repair them that’s fine and MOST consumers understand this. However, if they are too old to be repaired I believe a reasonable discount on a new pair is warranted.

Why? You don't get a discount on a new house if your 100 year old house can't be fixed, or a new car if your 40 year old vehicle is beyond repair.

It doesn't sound like a manufacturing defect, why would they give a discount?

jt4

WKR
Why? You don't get a discount on a new house if your 100 year old house can't be fixed, or a new car if your 40 year old vehicle is beyond repair.

It doesn't sound like a manufacturing defect, why would they give a discount?

This isn’t a house or a car. Comparative companies give better warranties so it’s reasonable to expect an alpha company to produce alpha level customer service. I’m not saying give a full on replacement a la vortex, but honor your quality and repair them or replace them at a discount.

To the second part of your post I’m mostly in agreement.
*** this is assuming it’s not the fault of running them over with a truck or dropping them down the mountain for example. We still don’t know the whole story yet ***

TxxAgg

WKR
It could be just another instance of product or part shortages. The same thing affecting nearly every industry. I deal with daily at work.

Or it could be incompetence. Or just plain bad customer service.

Tuned in for more info.

tdhanses

WKR
This isn’t a house or a car. Comparative companies give better warranties so it’s reasonable to expect an alpha company to produce alpha level customer service. I’m not saying give a full on replacement a la vortex, but honor your quality and repair them or replace them at a discount.

To the second part of your post I’m mostly in agreement.
*** this is assuming it’s not the fault of running them over with a truck or dropping them down the mountain for example. We still don’t know the whole story yet ***

Yeah not sure I agree at all with your opinion, more details are needed.

tdhanses

WKR
OP needs to add info to this, Leica has treated me right and not only gave me a new binocular they threw in a $100 visa gift card and a knife, but this was on a brand new optic not an old one that is probably out of warranty or so old parts aren’t even made anymore because it’s an item that’s been obsolete over their timeframe for keeping parts inventory.

If it’s a 2 year old bino I’d be shocked.

Kinda funny if it’s a 40 year old bino and expecting anything, doubt swaro would do anything for an optic that old. Also I believe lifetime warranty is lifetime of the optic plus a few years, not lifetime of owner, well unless you go Vortex.

Leica’s Sport Optics Warranty changed over time (like most other companies).

If memory serves - with my first pair it was a 1-year Passport (no fault) and 10-year warranty. Then it changed to a 3-year Passpot and 10-years. But up until recently Leica required the product be purchased from an authorized dealer and warranty only applied to the original owner - which was common among European optics manufacturers. They are also a German company - which culturally might suggest they are more likely to precisely adhere to what they say they will cover.

The new (2021) and now fully-transferable warranty offers Passport protection (no fault) for the first 10-years, and manufacturing defect for 30-years. This is the best warranty (as written) of any of the Big 3.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord