Done With Leica

OP
mtblackdog

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Update: Doug at Cameraland pulled some strings for me and expedited getting ahold of Jennine at Leica. I will be sending them in for repair review. Cant thank Doug enough.

Found Swarovski’s limited lifetime manufacturer’s defect warranty (no no-fault coverage) and linked here for comparison. Transferable but must have originally been purchased from an authorized Swarovski Optik North American dealer.

Couldn’t find Zeiss online. Their’s is a bit more complex as the Victory line has a 2-year no-fault followed by lifetime manufacturer’s defect, but the Conquest and lower have manufacturer’s but no no-fault coverage.

So, Leica’s current 10-year no fault is by far the best of the Big 3.

Last edited:

DrewskiMT

FNG
Nikon won't repair most of their Older top tier optics either. They send you a brand new Monarch HG instead... Just the way it is. That would not sway me away from new Leica's though. Nothing lasts forever. I feel for the OP too though. Companies that stand behind their products get my dollars too.

Maybe three years. Should be noted wasnt looking for a warranty or a free handout. Just wanted to buy a replacement objective.
Now I’m really unclear on expectations from Leica. If interpreted correctly, the binoculars are 3 years old (now discontinued?) and the owner was NOT looking for a warranty repair and wanted to buy a replacement objective. So the question naturally follows - is the person requesting service the original owner and how was the objective damaged?

OP
mtblackdog

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Doug is great, but we all want to know how old these binoculars are.
Maybe three years. Should be noted wasnt looking for a warranty or a free handout. Just wanted to buy a replacement objective
Well, you can't install an objective yourself, so if you asked if you could buy one that may explain why they told you no...
Your wrong. Screws right on.

Maybe three years. Should be noted wasnt looking for a warranty or a free handout. Just wanted to buy a replacement objective

Your wrong. Screws right on.
This is getting increasingly bizarre. Is a consumer (non-technician) desiring to purchase parts from Leica with the intent to open the binocular and replace/repair/align/reseal optical components?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Leica experience several years back I had posted….had a pair of geovids for about a decade used hard had sent them in once as rangefinder stopped working…they asked me how I used them as they found a lot mold inside them….told them I’m not a bird watcher🤣 and they were used in a lot of bad days rain snow sleet etc…never abused but got very wet many days..paid about $400 bucks for service came back worked for about another 3 yrs same issue so sent back in this time they were having issues with service they had them a full year and eventually sent me a new set due to delays and no real answer on what happened with my initial set….still have them and going strong…no complaints here🤙

OP
mtblackdog

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
This is getting increasingly bizarre. Is a consumer (non-technician) desiring to purchase parts from Leica with the intent to open the binocular and replace/repair/align/reseal optical components?
WTF are you talking about. Its just the right side objective piece on a pair of compact trinovids. Piece unscrewed and fell off. Its not rocket science. Leica sends me a new piece and I thread it back on. Not sure what the mystery is.

Fatcamp

WKR
WTF are you talking about. Its just the right side objective piece on a pair of compact trinovids. Piece unscrewed and fell off. Its not rocket science. Leica sends me a new piece and I thread it back on. Not sure what the mystery is.

The lens unscrewed and fell off?

From your original post “I have a pair of Trinovid binoculars that I needed an objective repair.” On most binoculars commonly used for hunting that means disassembly and replacement of at least some components of the objective lens elements or optical system. Since virtually zero details have been provided after multiple posts and nearly 2 full pages of thread - no specific model, year of manufacture, details of the damage/issue (a pic would have helped) - it’s a bit rich to expect anyone to understand what was requested of Leica and how they might have fallen short. After all - the message intimated that Leica had done a customer wrong, and doesn’t stand behind what they sell - with a warning to all that they should buy other brands.

Since Leica has asked for the product there is little doubt they will remedy whatever the issue was on whatever the product is.

It may just "screw right on", but what it's doing is creating an air tight seal. Leica then has to hook up the binocular to a machine to pressurize it with nitrogen or argon, or whatever specific pure gas they use.

Right now, if you just "threaded it on" you'd have a binocular full of moisture rich earth atmosphere that would fog up internally and be useless when you took it outside.

You should probably change the thread title and edit your OP to thank Leica for saving you from yourself.

d500lnn

Lil-Rokslider
This is the dumbest bunch of post I’ve ever read. Not he OP but all the inspector gadgets asking the same question over and over. He clearly bought from camera land. He couldn’t get the level of service he expected from a premium glass provider and wasn’t happy. It’s resolved. End of mystery.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
My experience was the opposite. Pup chewed the eyepiece on my CRF 1000r - I told them the truth about the ridgeback caused damage and expected a repair bill. Instead of a bill I got a brand new 1600 model. Couldn’t be better service.

I’ve never had a bad experience with Leica’s repair department either. They’ve always been fair and transparent about what the options are for repair and always offered a replacement that was reasonable. Even on my dads spotting scope he had, it was around 20 years old and while the process was slow, they offered him a replacement for about 1/2 off the retail price of a new televid when he sent it in for service. He took the upgrade and is very happy also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d500lnn

Lil-Rokslider
This is the dumbest bunch of post I’ve ever read. Not he OP but all the inspector gadgets asking the same question over and over. He clearly bought from camera land. He couldn’t get the level of service he expected from a premium glass provider and wasn’t happy. It’s resolved. End of mystery.
It seems I triggered a senior member on this page. I greatly apologize for the assumption OP bought from Doug who is a gentleman and always a great guy. I like my UltraVids and hope I don’t need to test Leica’s CS. If I do, rest assured I won’t make a post that is not ULTRA specific and cover every base like My wife would tell me a story about her day. Only to be asked the same question 10 times. I’m glad the OP is getting a resolution thanks to Doug at CLNY. Y’all have a great evening.