Donkey Packing

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
How hard is it to teach a mule to pack? I don't know much about horses or mules. I've always been interested in getting or making a pack mule.

wyodan

WKR
What pack saddle do you use? I have 2 13hh donks that I am wanting to pack with.
Mountain Ridge Gear and SoMo Mule both sell sawbuck saddles for donkeys. I'm using Mountain Ridge Gear, he uses biothane for the rigging which is a little easier to take care of than leather.

A question for you, where did you pick up 13hh donks? My 2 BLM donks are close or at 12hh, and a hair smaller than I'd like for the string I am trying to build. I am assuming you are back east based on your user name.

Last edited:
Okay, I have been interested in the Mountain Ridge Gear ones and the Sopris SCARP system. But those seem like they are a little flimsy.

One donk is half mammoth half big standard. I live in the Appalachian Mts. lots of bigger donkey stock around. Ones probably closer to 12 than 13. I've been looking for a mammoth to ride.

bisblue

WKR
What's your experience with "burro time?". It's the reputation for stubbornness come for untrained/out if shape burros?

I think of them as big dogs they are pretty smart and willing to learn. I have had both since they were weaned so they are fairly chill/listen well. Just don't wait to long to get them gelded, they can develop some bad habits around that time.

My neighbors raise mammoth donkeys, and more specifically Blue Mountain Donkeys which they use to breed mules. I let him graze his stock in the back property of my land and would have to say that the donkeys are the most friendly stock I've ever encountered and are very dog like, and 100% of the time come to me, and I usually give them a good petting session. It often makes me want to buy just 1 donkey from him to use to bring a light camp into the back country.

I traded in a Donk for a 15.4 hh mule. Got my Mt. Ridge Gear ordered and shipped. Waiting on the Sopris pack I ordered for my smaller donk to ship.

@burrohiker I am considering using some soft sided coolers as panniers for the donk. Thoughts?

Depending on the cooler brand that could work out okay. If they are too cheap the straps/buckles could wear or be broken if they bump a tree.

Also watch so that the edge of the cooler doen't start to dig into the donk.

@burrohiker do you prefer a highline? or do you run electric fence? Also, do you shoe your donks? I have been talking with Ty Evans about the mule and he suggested shoeing the donk as well.

Depends on the situation and animals.

With my new BLM burro, I don't trust him yet. So they are in the electric fence at night, but when I leave camp they go on the highline. In the evenings or morning they are hobbled or in the electric fence. to eat. Also depends on the weather and where we are camped. If its going to storm I'll highline them so they have some windbreaks/hail breaks if it get bad.

Shoes are a personal decision depending on the terrian and your donks hooves. If your going to pack in 10 miles into high country with lots of rock, it might be a good idea to get the fronts done. If not, I don't ever worry about it. I won't be shoeing for a southern colorado trip this year.

Sounds good. I think my equines would probably be fine with hobbles and an electric fence while I am gone. I currently only keep them in a polytape fenced off field. I am going to centralish colorado for 14 days. only packing in up to 5 miles to base camp. So my little donk is probably fine, he's not quite 2 so not much if any weight will be packed, but I want him to come to get experience.