Donnie Vincent rarely wears camo[emoji1018]

I noticed famed hunter Donnie Vincent rarely wears camo when he hunts. In fact sometimes he doesn’t even wear solid earth tones, opting instead for a blue plaid shirt and grey pants. What are your thoughts on this? I think it’s kind of cool and refreshing to see, particularly with how wildly overpriced camo is these days and all the BS marketing they shove down your throat. Do you use camo? Do you use solid colors instead like browns and tans etc? Are there any solid colors you prefer that you think perform particularly well? Are there colors (other than white obviously) that you would avoid? Love to hear everyone’s opinion on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This topic has been beat to death multiple times.
2. Staying hidden is important, but camo is a ways down the list of most effective ways to stay out of sight. I generally buy solids anymore, usually not from hunting specific companies with the exception of a LPP and First Lite's merino.
3. Making a decision not to wear camo because a "famous" person doesn't is every bit as stupid as wearing a certain camo because a different "famous" person does. Anyone that has hunting "idols" needs to get outside more...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
I’ve switched over to all solids in various earth tones from tan to khaki to slate and green. Honestly doesn’t seem to make any difference. Then again I’ve killed elk at 30 yards and whitetail deer at 20 yards wearing blue jeans before. I like having my gear not be camo so it used for more than just hunting. I like wearing my kuiu gear at the office. The tiburon pants are really nice for wearing around town and my axis jacket is great around town as well. For the price payed for kuiu gear it’s nice to be able to wear it more than just a few weeks a year.

OP
H
Appreciate your input Pathfinder. But you can keep your negativity. It’s not necessary and it doesn’t serve you. You can get your point across without being rude. It’s called tact. Have a nice Sunday.

OP
H
1. This topic has been beat to death multiple times.
2. Staying hidden is important, but camo is a ways down the list of most effective ways to stay out of sight. I generally buy solids anymore, usually not from hunting specific companies with the exception of a LPP and First Lite's merino.
3. Making a decision not to wear camo because a "famous" person doesn't is every bit as stupid as wearing a certain camo because a different "famous" person does. Anyone that has hunting "idols" needs to get outside more...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Appreciate your input Pathfinder. But you can keep your negativity. It’s not necessary and it doesn’t serve you. You can get your point across without being rude. It’s called tact. Have a nice Sunday.

I was away from home at a VRBO with dish, and found myself watching hunting shows last night. There was one in particular that caught my eye, based on a high fence ranch in north Texas. The guys were all outfitted in Kuiu clothing and the actual hunter was wearing a LowT Kuiu hat that was custom made since it was to be his “first” whitetail hunt. Anyway, long story short, these guys are completely camo’d up sitting in a box blind shooting at penned deer released for a canned monster deer hunt. It really turned me off to wearing camo for hunting. Sad thing was the lowT dude must have had so much hormone replacement or something he didn’t even know how to react to killing a 200+” WT deer as his first deer. He seemed kind of “eh...there were bigger ones out there”

I could care less what someone wears to hunt, but there are times when someone can make it look ridiculous.

I don’t wear a ton of camo myself. But I will point out I’m sure Donnie doesn’t do it for the cost. He wears all the very most expensive mountaineering brands.

reaper

WKR
My buddy kill every years since he is young and he always wear blue jeans and what ever it take for top jacket lol......so I guess it's a choice and camo is not necessary at all.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

stonewall

WKR
From what little I know of ungulate vision, I believe blue is the color to avoid. Of course if it’s concealed, no matter. One of my favorite elk hunting vids is from the early 90s and the guide wore blue jeans - but his legs were mostly concealed.

as for me, I like to wear camo. Except when in a popup blind then I just wear whatever. I find the elk prefer me to wear max1 or mountain mimicry, so I oblige ;) but they’ve been okay with realtree xtra and Sitka oc

Elkangle

WKR
More animals were killed in blue jeans and a flannel than in camo....

Gosh if I had a dollar everytime I've heard that lol what ever floats your boat...150+ days a year in the woods and im a huge fan of camouflage...i feel i get away with alot more

Just my thoughts, hope this helps

hodgeman

WKR
If I find something I like in solids...I buy it. If I find something I want in camo...I buy that too.

The only things I specifically buy camo to hunt are turkeys and ducks.

I buy camo for hunting so it’s dedicated to hunting and I won’t wear it out doing other activities and also because it’s cool AF.

I buy hunting clothing to be mult-species purpose driven clothing....meaning I may sit in a blind in camo but only because it is also the same clothes I would wear in a tree stand, or with my back against a tree, or stalking a pig at night....I do have one solid color piece of sitka (lwh) that I wear early season in a pop up or blind, but wouldn’t wear that as a top layer in a tree that time of year. Other than that, I wear what I wear and I don’t try to compare

I actually don't care much if I wear solids or camo. My pants are solid green but I usually have some type of camo shirt on.

Whatever your preference, I would NOT wear blue. Deer and elk see the blue end of the visible spectrum the best. So I always just make sure to not wear blue... Which sucks because my lightweight breathable rain jacket that I like for light rain while hiking is bright blue. Can't use it for hunting