Donor action length

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Remington 700 varmint rifle chambered in .204. I was considering using the action as a donor and having a gunsmith re-barrel the rifle in 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor, something I could still hunt coyotes but also use for deer and antelope. A short action round though. My question is, is the action long enough? It’s just another short action, correct? Thanks for any input

204guy

WKR
The action is long enough, but it's a .384 bolt face you need a .470 BF for the creed and most medium capacity SA rounds. You'd also need new mag box and follower. A gunsmith could open up the BF but you'd likely be better off selling the whole rifle or the barreled action and starting with a new action.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, it is a standard short action. Remington makes 3 actions lengths, the long and short model 700 and the shorter model 7. Both the Model 7 and short Model 700 will handle a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Keep in mind you will either need a new bolt, or your gunsmith will be opening the bolt face. Most of the time, that means a Sako or M16 style extractor if the bolt face is opened up. I don't know many gunsmiths that machine the bolt face for the Remington extractor after they open one up. It is kind of a PITA to set up the mill to cut the Remington extractor groove and you need to make a custom woodruff cutter.

Jeremy

rayporter

WKR
once you start down this road a custom action will look tempting as all get out. especially if you sell this one and put the money toward the custom.