Dont flipping reep on public land

SoDaky

WKR
I wouldn't do it some places for sure.Fact is it is traditional to hunt disguised and I see guys doing it in many settings including Remi W recently.Could find you a 100 Utubes in minutes of 'decoys' being used in big game hunting not to mention bird hunting.You don't like it fine,why ridicule or tell others how to hunt?Shove that!The real sad thing about this thread is here we have a fellow hunter,hunting legally,a cretin who shoots him,and the heros on here ridicule him not the cretin.Sad commentary on internet warriors.

Poser

WKR
I wouldn't do it some places for sure.Fact is it is traditional to hunt disguised and I see guys doing it in many settings including Remi W recently.Could find you a 100 Utubes in minutes of 'decoys' being used in big game hunting not to mention bird hunting.You don't like it fine,why ridicule or tell others how to hunt?Shove that!The real sad thing about this thread is here we have a fellow hunter,hunting legally,a cretin who shoots him,and the heros on here ridicule him not the cretin.Sad commentary on internet warriors.

Traditional hunting practices also include running entire herds of animals off of cliffs, into bodies of water until they drown, setting fire to the prairies to contain the animals so that they can be easily killed. Not every traditional hunting practice is feasible, ethical, or acceptable in the year 2020 and some of these practices are inherently more dangerous.
Of course the shooter is 100% at fault, but I’d rather just not have a hunting accident period and reaping has revealed itself to be one of the more likley ways for a hunter to get shot, and nobody that it reaping is doing so because they have to kill a turkey or their family is going to starve. Fact is, there are safer ways to kill a turkey on public land and dressing up like a game animal when you are potentially surrounded by people looking to kill that same game animal is just not smart.

SoDaky

WKR
Your 'smart' is someone elses challenge.Their choice not yours.
Spin it anyway u want,it's legal and not your decision.Address the Cretin issue perhaps.
And you are the one describing 'inherent 'turkey hunting as tradition,not me.
Spin away.

WCB

WKR
I'm confused....one guy shoots a "turkey" with a guy crawling behind it....the other guy was sneaking up on ????? the first guys plastic turkey? How in the hell can you not tell a fake turkey or a guy crawling behind a turkey from a live turkey? It would probably take 5 seconds to tell a mounted turkey from a live turkey if you just popped one out in front of most people.

I don't hate the "reaping" tactic....I just wouldn't do it on public land. Of course you always have the purist that thinks no decoys and calling is the only way to have fun and kill a 20lb chicken.

Rich M

WKR
People need to know their target and beyond before shooting, I cannot believe people just blast at a turkey fan

I thought he said guy was sneaking on some birds. Seemed like you got a guy working 1 or 2 real birds with some dude following up behind the birds with a Decoy on his head and he takes a load of shot.

And I'm also surprised that turkey hunter guys are implying that the shooter has any share in the fault.

Yeah, let's dress up like a realistic looking critter and go crawling around where folks are hunting. Betcha he doesn't do that again.

A heavy tight load would have killed him. Lucky to be alive.

Prayers for both the shooter and the shootee. Both are gonna have some form of trauma.

Fatcamp

WKR
I thought he said guy was sneaking on some birds. Seemed like you got a guy working 1 or 2 real birds with some dude following up behind the birds with a Decoy on his head and he takes a load of shot.

And I'm also surprised that turkey hunter guys are implying that the shooter has any share in the fault.

Yeah, let's dress up like a realistic looking critter and go crawling around where folks are hunting. Betcha he doesn't do that again.

A heavy tight load would have killed him. Lucky to be alive.

Prayers for both the shooter and the shootee. Both are gonna have some form of trauma.

Ya, I saw those screen printed ones that fan out so you can hide behind it. At 50 yards from cover through grass it would be easy to send a load. Gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Guys around here use old tail fans. So it's not like it's some fake decoy coming at you.

I almost only hunt private ground for turkeys, private to the extent that I own it, and I still can't keep people off of it. So I'm not about to trust someone who is trespassing to not shoot me, they are already showing disregard for property, what makes me think they would care that much about what they are shooting at or beyond it.

I don't gamble, except the practice of farming, that's almost calculated risk, but I'm not going to take the risk I perceive this to be. Reward not worth the downfall. Even if it's 1/1m.