Dont flipping reep on public land

Poser

WKR
I just don’t get the contemporary trends in turkey hunting: take the longest shot possible, mechanical gobbler decoys, sit in a blind etc.

Turkey hunting is inherently different from other types of hunting and it’s also inherently more dangerous. I’ve been helping a new hunter out this spring and I have not even yet mentioned the fact that decoys exist or that people use them. Unless you’re hunting farmland, it’s all about your calling skills and using the terrain. While it’s certainly exciting to get up close to turkeys, reaping isn’t really skill dependent like stalking or calling a bird in. Seems like the trend in turkey hunting is to bypass skill dependent tactics and while, sure, the goal of hunting is to kill, “any means necessary” for ~8 lbs of meat (I’m willing to wager that reapers take nothing but breast meat, so more like 3 pounds of meat), just doesn’t in anyway balance out the ROI of your time.

Yeah, yeah, “to each their own” blah blah blah.
I still call bullshit and if you are reaping on public land or even private land where trespassing is not uncommon, you are either foolish or an idiot. All of these trends are products of influencers.

87TT

WKR
I have some collapsible decoys that never seem to come out of the pack anymore. More of a run and gun guy. Most times I don't even use the seat cushion.

I have reaped turkeys in the past and will do so again in the future. I thoroughly enjoy it! I know decoys are very realistic but I'm pretty confident in my skills that I could tell the difference. Also, I sure hope that all the reaping haters do not use a montana style decoy while big game hunting!

87TT

WKR
I have a heads up decoy for archery elk hunting but seldom use it. And anyone who would use one during firearms season is dain bramaged.

Poser

WKR
I have reaped turkeys in the past and will do so again in the future. I thoroughly enjoy it! I know decoys are very realistic but I'm pretty confident in my skills that I could tell the difference. Also, I sure hope that all the reaping haters do not use a montana style decoy while big game hunting!

Surely you aren’t reaping on public land, right?

87TT

WKR
We usually tease the new guys by telling them they get to be "decoy tender"

If you stumble across a news article/press release on the accident, please post it. I'd like to share with others.

OP
bradb

bradb

WKR
his nick name is cheeeks, some of his friends started calling him swiss cheeks!

Poser

WKR
View attachment 179432
Dang!More of those skillless fad dependent hunters.Damn those new techniques.And on public to boot.What nerve messing with tradition like that.

Nice try, however, equating reaping in 2020 on public land to plains buffalo hunters dressing up like coyotes doesn’t work. Would you be willing to crawl around public land dressed up like a coyote? Of course your answer is “no” and that’s for the same reason that reaping is a stupid idea.