Don’t forget to nock an arrow

coyyota

WKR
Classified Approved
Debated posting anything on this for a couple reasons. 1. I’ve got no business giving archery advice of any kind to anyone. 2. It’s embarrassing. Decided to post in case it keeps anyone else from same mistake.

Recently at a local 3D shoot a buddy of mine and I were BSing at little as we approached the next target. Nice early morning, no groups behind us, so I was in a little bit of cruise control. Went through my normal shot routine, but I some how just forgot to nock an arrow... BOOM. Dry fire. String blew up. Super pissed at myself and super embarrassing walking back w stringless bow. Really really dumbass move.

No visual damage to the bow. New string on and it seems to be just fine. Will be keeping a close on it limbs and cams going forward. No one was injured. Could have been a lot worse from a silly lapse in concentration.

Attachments

• 34ED237E-D290-4944-B454-E30C385C7966.jpeg
    34ED237E-D290-4944-B454-E30C385C7966.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 273

gumbl3

WKR
Haha.. had a buddy to the same thing in the same situation... Too much partying the night before into that morning

OP
C

coyyota

WKR
Classified Approved
I can’t even blame it on that! Just pure dumbassery

EastMT

WKR
Debated posting anything on this for a couple reasons. 1. I’ve got no business giving archery advice of any kind to anyone. 2. It’s embarrassing. Decided to post in case it keeps anyone else from same mistake.

Recently at a local 3D shoot a buddy of mine and I were BSing at little as we approached the next target. Nice early morning, no groups behind us, so I was in a little bit of cruise control. Went through my normal shot routine, but I some how just forgot to nock an arrow... BOOM. Dry fire. String blew up. Super pissed at myself and super embarrassing walking back w stringless bow. Really really dumbass move.

No visual damage to the bow. New string on and it seems to be just fine. Will be keeping a close on it limbs and cams going forward. No one was injured. Could have been a lot worse from a silly lapse in concentration.

Def have a professional inspect the limbs. A buddy did this once on accident, the limbs looked fine but did have damage we couldn’t see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happens more than you think.

I haven't done it yet, however I always put an arrow on my string incase I have an accidental discharge when drawing it back checking things.

IMG_20210326_211349355.jpg

So this is what happens to your ceiling when you are a dumbass and have an accidental discharge.

I was trying to determine where my arrow was in relation to the front of my rest. Drew the bow back, moved my release/hand down around my waist to look where my arrow was. After looking at my bow perpendicular to how you would normally view it I went to let it up and the thumb button scraped my bourbon belly.

Bang.

Before the sound of the bow had even cleared I heard sweet thang yelling, you dumbass!!

Just saying stuff happens. Be glad you didn't get hurt.

Haha I have drawn back a few times with out an arrow abs luckily noticed it some how before I shot. However, I recent went to draw my bow, with an arrow nocked, but the thumb barrel on the safety on my release came loose and my thumb slipped off mid draw, arrow went flying , bow flew out of my hand and landed on the cement floor. Bent my cam pretty bad, had to spend the rest of the night putting a new cam on for the first time by myself. Luckily no one saw.
But my advice is to check the barrel on your release if your shooting a hinge or back tension release, it can come loose!

Respect for the failure post. You have a point in my book as i appreciate lessons learned. I have two holes in my house that pissed the wife off. The one in the garage wall isnt that bad (other than it burried into the stud). I even sawed the arrow and what is sticking out i use as a hook to hang my keys.

the hole through the garage door and the hole in my wifes bumper... that im still catching shit for two years later.

im a lot more careful now haha

Had accidental discharge, string loop failure at full draw, exploding carbon arrow, and a bow unexpectedly fire when creeping forward in the valley. None of it made me particularly reassured. So, ya - I can relate.

Jimbob

WKR
I ALWAYS watch my rest pick up my arrow as I draw, its part of my sequence to ensure the arrow is there and on the rest.

EXCEPT for the one time I didn't. I was in a rush trying to tune a bow and yup no arrow knocked. The string snapped but everything else was just fine.

Wapack

FNG
Once upon a time I was checking my d loop length with no arrow nocked and using my hinge inside my house... Haha I punched my self so hard in the face i got a loose tooth and a monster fat lip along with a dry fire. So yeah I feel ya, I had to either lie or tell the whole story. I did a little of both.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I did the exact same thing. I released, thought it sounded off and looked at the target but didn’t see an arrow. Then there was the oh sh!! Moment. I didn’t nock an arrow. Collapsed both cams on my bow, cracked a limb and bent an axle. By the time I finished walking the course in shame, I had all the new pieces bought or ordered from various sources. Got everything in, started to put the bow back together and the damn thing popped out of the press. Collapsed both cams and cracked 2 limbs. Got rid of the cursed bow and haven’t been able to shoot the same since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR

WKR
I had a buddy do the same thing. I still give him a hard time about it every time we shoot together.

I did this a few years back when I was just getting into archery. I had a deer walk right in front of me at about twenty yards. Out of instinct I drew back settled my pin perfectly hit my release and my bow blew up. The worst part is walking into the archery shop with the pieces of bow in my hand.

I am sorry man, that is a really unfortunate start to the morning. I have not dry fired a bow (yet) but I did put four chips in the cement wall of our basement while trying to learn a thumb release. After the fourth arrow getting smashed to pieces I decided I am just not smart enough to be trusted with one and went back to a wrist release.