Dont lose your Montana points like me

Donjuan

WKR
I misinterpreted the MT regulation on NR combo PPs. I bought a preference point in 19 and 20, assuming they were valid for the following year and that I would need to apply in 2022.
Nope, apparently you can buy a point when you apply so they are immediately valid.

I know I will probably get flamed, but my plan was to get to 2 points then hunt in 2022.

I still can, but wasted $100.

Also bonus points won't be list and can be bought yearly.

Now let's hear it

22lr

WKR
I read all these posts about points and I'm reminded how lucky I've been to live in Alaska the last 3 years. I'm 100% not looking forward to moving out of here next year... gee thanks Uncle Sam...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I read all these posts about points and I'm reminded how lucky I've been to live in Alaska the last 3 years. I'm 100% not looking forward to moving out of here next year... gee thanks Uncle Sam...

It is nice and straightforward for AK residents. Buy license, grab tags from F&G, go hunting…

So if I understand the regs... if you would have applied for the '21 season you would have been able to apply with 2 points?
The reason you lost the 2 points is because you didn't apply in the third year (2021) correct?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
You only need to buy a pref point the year before you hunt, and then one with your application (the year of your hunt).

You only need to buy a pref point the year before you hunt, and then one with your application (the year of your hunt).
Sorry if this is a stupid question:

I bought a preference point in '20, gonna buy another one this year ('21) for a hunt next year ('22). Both points will be valid for the application next year correct?

I can buy another one with the '22 application to have 3 points correct?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought one in 18, 19, and then 1 with my application in 20 (for a total of 3) but they said I only had 2. So the one in 2018 fell off.

Your 2020 point will fall off as well.

Finch

WKR
I bought one in 18, 19, and then 1 with my application in 20 (for a total of 3) but they said I only had 2. So the one in 2018 fell off.

Your 2020 point will fall off as well.
I guess I'm confused why you lost the 2018 PP. That wasn't how I interpreted their system.

Finch

WKR

I know nothing is a guarantee but would you have a very high probability of drawing a general tag this way?

I was going to buy my first Montana PP this summer and again next summer with the hopes of hunting in 2023. This is similar to what you did but you lost the 2018 point for whatever reason. Just trying to make sense of this.

bsnedeker

WKR
I guess I'm confused why you lost the 2018 PP. That wasn't how I interpreted their system.
You can only purchase a point without applying for 2 consecutive years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Donjuan

WKR
Ok so what the agent on the phone told me was my 2019 point was valid for 2019 even though I bought it 4 months after the draw. It is not good for the 2020 draw.
So by their logic
2019 year 1
2020 year 2
2021must apply or lose PP.

Therefore if you want 2 preference points going into the 2022 draw, buy one now, then one on the application.

OP
D

Donjuan

WKR
I know nothing is a guarantee but would you have a very high probability of drawing a general tag this way?

I was going to buy my first Montana PP this summer and again next summer with the hopes of hunting in 2023. This is similar to what you did but you lost the 2018 point for whatever reason. Just trying to make sense of this.
Based on their rules, you have to buy one in 22 and again when you apply in 2023.
Don't buy one now and in 2022 or you'll lose them like me

OP
D

Donjuan

WKR
So if I understand the regs... if you would have applied for the '21 season you would have been able to apply with 2 points?
The reason you lost the 2 points is because you didn't apply in the third year (2021) correct?
Yes, correct

Brillo

FNG
Montana seems to have a goofy system for points. There seem to be two kinds of points in Montana. General tag preference points and limited entry preference points. The points for the general tag are lost if you do not apply in the year after the first point is purchased. The limited entry points carry over. I spoke with a Montana F&G person and that was my take away. I though she said that losing points was a new thing for this year. Not sure how they could do that retroactively. Seems like a point purchase is a contract with the state. Not saying that they cannot change their system but I wonder how they can change it without grandfathering in the existing point holders. Call me confused. Anyway I bought a point for the general as I am planning to apply there in 2022.

Riplip

WKR
Based on their rules, you have to buy one in 22 and again when you apply in 2023.
Don't buy one now and in 2022 or you'll lose them like me

Not entirely accurate. If you are definitely going to hunt in 2023, you could and should buy a PP point this summer, one next summer and one in 2023 at time of application, giving you three points going into the application.