Dont lose your Montana points like me

Finch

WKR
Not entirely accurate. If you are definitely going to hunt in 2023, you could and should buy a PP point this summer, one next summer and one in 2023 at time of application, giving you three points going into the application.
This is how I understand it too but I'm new to this as well. See below video although he really doesn't come out and say you could buy a PP on year 3 when you apply. He also says 2 PPs should get you (guaranteed??) the general tag. I realized this could change over time though.

One more time so I understand this. I could buy a PP this summer and either buy another PP AND apply in 2022 and possibly be guaranteed a tag. Or I could buy a PP this summer, buy in summer of 2022, and then I have to apply in 2023 (w/ option to buy another PP while applying) or lose my points if I don't apply. Feel like I got it. :)

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
So if you dont apply every year do you loose your points or not? I have 2 points and don't plan on hunting for atleast a year or two but not sure why I would put in for anymore points

Jt13

FNG
So if you dont apply every year do you loose your points or not? I have 2 points and don't plan on hunting for atleast a year or two but not sure why I would put in for anymore

You're going to lose those points whether you apply or not. You should read up on some of the above posts or call Montana FWP so they can explain it.

Basically, you can only buy points without applying 2 years in a row and your points reset after year 3. There is no reason to buy pref points for MT more than 2 years out from the hunt

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Yall got me so confused 😆 I bought a point last year planning to go in 22 but that's not going to work out now. Should've just lit my $ on fire apparently.

Jt13

FNG
Yall got me so confused 😆 I bought a point last year planning to go in 22 but that's not going to work out now. Should've just lit my $ on fire apparently.
2020- point
2021- point
2022- apply/hunt

You'll be fine for 22'

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
2020- point
2021- point
2022- apply/hunt

You'll be fine for 22'
Sorry, I meant life isn't going to let it work out....I had that whole point puzzle nailed tho. My wife has demanded a road trip to Maine next fall.

Riplip

WKR
2020- point
2021- point
2022- apply/hunt

You'll be fine for 22'

I will revise this.....

2020 - point
2021 - point
2022 - apply / hunt (you can also elect to purchase another point at time of application to give you 3 total.)

Now, 2 points may fully guarantee that you draw a license (as it has the last few years) but point creep is real in Montana and the extra $50 may be worth to guarantee the draw.

One thing that confuses everyone is that points purchased at time of application are used for that application year, which is different than other states.

Riplip

WKR
So if you dont apply every year do you loose your points or not? I have 2 points and don't plan on hunting for atleast a year or two but not sure why I would put in for anymore points

To clarify we are talking about Preference Points and not Bonus Points. Bonus Points do not expire.

For PP, you will lose your points if you do not apply next year (assuming you just bought the two points in the summer period and did not apply for a combo license either of the past two years).

I bought one in 18, 19, and then 1 with my application in 20 (for a total of 3) but they said I only had 2. So the one in 2018 fell off.

Your 2020 point will fall off as well.

Funny thing is I wouldn't take it to the bank that they will continue doing it this way (having 3rd point fall off). It seems like they make little tweaks to these rules constantly.

Especially now that guided hunters can buy 2 PP! That would be downright shitty of FWP to not allow folks to buy a point without app for two years and apply with another point purchased at application time on 3rd year while guided people can buy 2 points a year. Especially when 2 points no longer guarantees a general tag..

have draw results been released that prove 2 points was guaranteed this year even? MT's system is such a dumpster fire..

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Funny thing is I wouldn't take it to the bank that they will continue doing it this way (having 3rd point fall off). It seems like they make little tweaks to these rules constantly.

Especially now that guided hunters can buy 2 PP! That would be downright shitty of FWP to not allow folks to buy a point without app for two years and apply with another point purchased at application time on 3rd year while guided people can buy 2 points a year. Especially when 2 points no longer guarantees a general tag..

have draw results been released that prove 2 points was guaranteed this year even? MT's system is such a dumpster fire..
Great point. I hadn't heard about guided being able to buy 2 pts at once, but not surprising.

Riplip

WKR

Montana has been pretty consistent with the theme of not allowing people to bank preference points , which is something I completely agree with. Too many States have been ruined by the true PP system (Colorado). The biggest wildcard, as mentioned above is the Outfitters, as they have a very big seat at the table so to speak, and have significant influence with State legislators.

Yes two points in 2020 draw was 100% the last two years. This may change going forward.

Yes. July 1 - Sept 30th.

Is this fairly new? Compared to the older way of doing it (with which I am familiar), if one were wanting to draw a permit, he'd have to apply, draw the general, and then give it back less ~$200 if he didn't draw the permit, and buy the bonus point then. So a permit drawn after 5 years would have an extra $200x4=$800 tacked on in returned general tag fees.

Riplip

WKR
Point only option was implemented in 2017 for both Preference Points and Bonus Points.

One important clarification, the Point Only option is available only if you did not apply for a License in the regular draw.

Erict

WKR
Montana changed the preference point system rules earlier this year - looks like some of you didn't realize it. Click Montana HB637 if you want to read the full text. Basically, as it pertains to most, the red sections are what you should be aware of when talking about Montana NonResident Combo license PREFERENCE POINTS.

(3) An applicant may:

(a) purchase only one preference point per license year except a nonresident hunting with an outfitter licensed pursuant to Title 37, chapter 47, part 3, and providing the documentation required in subsection (8), may purchase two preference points per license year. No applicant may accumulate more than three preference points total.;

(b) purchase a preference point without applying for a Class B-10 (non-resident big game (elk+deer) combo) or Class B-11 (non-resident deer combo) license. An applicant not applying for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license may purchase a preference point only between July 1 and December 31 of that license year.

(4)(a) The department shall delete the an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant:

(i) obtains a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license; or

(ii) does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years.

(b) If an applicant is unsuccessful in drawing a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license, the department shall allow the applicant to keep and apply preference points to subsequent drawings if done in consecutive years.

Last edited:
FYI, I just spoke with a FWP agent & they confirmed that you can buy one point for two years in a row then buy another one at the time of your application in the third year. There is a maximum of 3 points allowed with an application

Erict

WKR
FYI, I just spoke with a FWP agent & they confirmed that you can buy one point for two years in a row then buy another one at the time of your application in the third year. There is a maximum of 3 points allowed with an application

That appears to be contrary to the current law, quoted above, that states "The department shall delete the an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant...does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years." In other words, if you fail to apply for a license more than 1 year in a row they will delete your preference points. If I were you I'd call them and ask again, mentioning House Bill 637.