Dont lose your Montana points like me

OP
D

Donjuan

WKR
I'll ask another dumb question....can you also buy a bonus point at the time of application?

Finch

WKR
@Erict @Crowmangler

So what is the final ruling on this, anyone figure it out? I was good until posts 39 & 40. I'll probably end up calling FWP but thought I'd ask.

Erict

WKR
(This post edited/recomposed after speaking to Montana FWP Licensing on 9/10/21, who confirmed the basics of these scenarios. I have to hand it to Representative Berglee for the creative writing of this bill that all but ensures many more $$$ for the state due to deletion of accumulated preference points.)

For reference, House Bill 637 states: "The department shall delete the an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant...does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years."

Sorry if this is confusing, but this is as simple as I could explain it:

NR DIY Scenario 1
2022- apply for license and pref point (but don't get drawn for license, so pref point carrys over to 2023)
2023- apply for pref point only (you didn't apply for a license in consecutive years, so you lose the 2022 pt)
2024- apply for license and pref point (you have 2 points - 2023/2024)

NR DIY Scenario 2
2022 - apply for
pref point only (this can only be done during July 1 - December 31* (their website incorrectly shows the old date of Sept 30.)
2023 - apply for pref point only (you didn't apply for a license in consecutive years, so you lose the 2022 pt)
2024 - apply for license and pref point (you have 2 points - 2023/2024)

NR DIY Scenario 3
2022- apply for license and pref point (but don't get drawn for license, so pref point carrys over to 2023)
2023- apply for license and pref point (but don't get drawn for license, so pref points carry over to 2024)
2024- apply for license and pref point (you have 3 points, the maximum allowed - 2022/2023/2024)

NR Outfitter Scenarios
2022 - apply for outfitter sponsored license and pref point and additional pref point (but don't get drawn)
2023 - apply for outfitter sponsored license and pref point (you have 3 points - 2022/2022/2023 and the maximum is 3 points, so spending an extra $100 in 2023 on that "4th" preference point" is a donation to the state)
Outfitter-sponsored applications allow purchase of an additional preference point per year. The bill included a "one time allowance" that basically guaranteed every outfitter-sponsored applicant got a license in 2021, regardless of preference points. Those who did so this year will, therefore, go in to next year's draw with a maximum of 2 preference points and compete with all other applicants with 2 points.

Last edited:

Finch

WKR
Yes, big dumpster fire. See post #43 which has been updated/edited since I spoke to Montana FWP today.
Thank you for updating and digging into this. When you say "apply for pref point" are you meaning during the application process I assume?

I'm interested in buying a pref point before Sept 30 2021. Then during the application process next year, if I don't apply for a license, I'll lose my PP that I had just purchased during the PP only purchase period in 2021? That doesn't seem right.

Erict

WKR
Finch. You cannot apply for a preference point only during the open license application period. If you want a preference point during that time you must apply for a license. If you simply want a preference point then the dates are July 1 - DECEMBER 31 (it is no longer Sept 30, but as of today their website has not been updated to reflect all of the new changes). Also, if you apply for a license without also applying for a preference point then you CANNOT later apply for a preference point that license year.

Anyways, if you go to post #43 above and read Scenario 2 that is what you are asking. Yes, you lose 1 PP that way.

If you or anyone else disagrees then call Montana FWP Licensing and ask them yourselves. They have always answered in just a few rings and are always friendly and know their stuff.

I suspect that with demand increasing there will soon be a time where most applicants have 3 $100 preference points (the maximum allowed) or 0 preference points. This will lead to a change in draw odds because 75% of NR licenses go to those with preference points and 25% of NR license go to those with NO preference points. Those with 1 or 2 points will be in "no mans land" with no chance of being drawn.

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
Man, this thread is exactly what I was looking for. I purchased my second BP today (one from 2020), I think I donated my PP because I bought it during the regular application period earlier this year but didn't apply for anything since my plan was to put in for a premium hunt unit in 2022. So I think I made a donation(?) on buying the pref point this year, and will need to buy one next year as I apply. I'm also pretty sure I HAVE to apply for a hunt next year or lose my BPs? Maybe I should just call FWP :)

Erict

WKR
BONUS POINTS are not automatically "deleted" if you fail to purchase a license in consecutive years.
PREFERENCE POINTS are, but if you only applied for a PP this year you will carry it into next year.

HERE is the text of the actual regulation for BONUS POINTS.

PM me if I can clarify further. Good luck.

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
BONUS POINTS are not automatically "deleted" if you fail to purchase a license in consecutive years.
PREFERENCE POINTS are, but if you only applied for a PP this year you will carry it into next year.

HERE is the text of the actual regulation for BONUS POINTS.

PM me if I can clarify further. Good luck.
Thank you! I hunt in NM and CO and have been gathering points in WY for the past 7 years...MT remains elusive. I think I just need to read the regs a few more times and call them when I have questions instead of reading articles and posts. I really appreciate your offer.