Dont mean to start a war "Match" style bullet for hunting

VernAK

WKR
Shooting deer with match bullets, especially lung shots, is done by quite a lot of hunters but I wouldn't
consider them for moose nor grizzly. A 215 Berger in 300WM is a heavy for caliber bullet and should
work for most applications.

I've seen a 7mm Berger used on a grizzly and it's not the thing to do.

I've shot many coyotes with 52 gr SMK in a 22-250 and they make a heck of a mess but the 108gr Hornady ELD Match
from a 6CM does a heck of a job on wolves with minimal pelt damage.

pnw

Lil-Rokslider
VernAK curious if you know what 7mm Berger was used on the grizzly was it also heavy for caliber or not ? , thanks

Wrench

WKR
I took another elk with a 140rdf this year for a total of 3so far. This one was the closest and I had to blood trail it about 30 feet. I've killed over 20 with bang flops 99% of the time using rdf, match burners and smks.

Lung shots at ranges from 250 to 850 with my 260ai have been amazing.

VernAK

WKR
VernAK curious if you know what 7mm Berger was used on the grizzly was it also heavy for caliber or not ? , thanks

Not sure of weight but it was so completely shredded that I wouldn't consider any of em for this purpose.
The shot was a steep downhill at 150 yards. Bullet ended up against a vertabrae and the copper
jacket had split down the rifling scar and was flattened. The lead was a disk about the size of a quarter.
The bear was an average sow of 300-400 pounds.

Not sure of weight but it was so completely shredded that I wouldn't consider any of em for this purpose.
The shot was a steep downhill at 150 yards. Bullet ended up against a vertabrae and the copper
jacket had split down the rifling scar and was flattened. The lead was a disk about the size of a quarter.
The bear was an average sow of 300-400 pounds.

Did the bear die? Run a ways?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I pulled this frame from the OP video:

F3v0rdg.jpg

I love these threads this time of year.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
140 grain vld in a 6.5 are deadly. I don't think a lot of people understand sectional density and the relationship to penetration. Don't expect terminal performance of a 7mm to be the same between a 140 grain and a 180 or 195. As sectional density goes down or impact velocity goes up penetration will suffer. Often people use the lighter bullets so they can shoot them faster then complain when they don't penetrate.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I don't have anything against any of the bullets. I agree that if you put them in the right place they mostly all work.

I tend to lean toward the Berger or similar bullets for deer or antelope at longer range and tougher bullets for a lot of other things. I know I make more hits practicing at 600 yards with Bergers in my 264 win mag than I did with the Accubonds I used to shoot through that rifle. The wind seems to always be blowing when I shoot.

In my 300 win mag I use primarily for animals bigger than deer I like the Accubond or E tip. The rifle shoots both well and they have done the job for me. A whitetail will run further after being hit with an E tip than a Berger, but still dies quick if it lands in the right spot. I haven't had a deer go over 30 yards after being hit with a Berger that I can recall. Not having an exit wound with them used to worry me, but I've used them on enough animals that fell so close to where they were hit it no longer does.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Awe yes, the "Real" gunsmith. I've watched a couple of his videos. Do you think he may be a little opinionated? He fits into a category of people I see here and there. He's reached an age where he feels like he's seen it all and nothing new or improved could possibly be coming down the pike. He has no interest in learning new things or admitting that there's better products or technology out there in the gun world. He contradicts himself often. He's stuck in a mental rut.

For me, I've used the 215's and 230's for years now. We have never lost an animal with Berger Bullets. IMO they kill far better than the "premium hunting bullets." There's been a time or two where shot placement was not ideal...such as this year. We took my son's girlfriend elk hunting and she had never killed a big game animal before. She had tons of insecurities and fears of the rifle from her family's hunting party and their behaviors. I managed to get here past most of that when she shot my rifle (30 Nosler 215 Bergers) before we went hunting. We got her on a nice 5 point bull at 280 yards. She was scared to death. I took lots of time talking her through and trying to keep her calm. The moment came and she shot the bull hitting him high and back more to the mid body with a 215 Berger. It got part of the liver and top of the guts. He stood for 3-4 seconds and then rolled down the hill stone dead. I firmly believe if we were using anything other than a fragmenting bullet we would have had to make a follow up shot or worse lose him in the timber.

Jesse

Last edited:

T_holli22

FNG
I love Berger bullets for hunting I use 130 OTM in the creed and the 215 is my go to for the 300WM. never had a critter take more than 2 steps with either of those. But he can keep telling everyone that make it easier for me to find when I need them.

WKR
My favorite the last 8-10 years has been the 140 Berger vld. Works great on a lot of critters with very little meat damage. I only shoot them at about 2700-2900 fps and they perform perfectly. Its always nice to see fellow shooters/hunters who use the bullets in question and what their results are vs some video of a guy with 0 experience. Certainly not starting a war with me. Use whatever the heck you like, makes me no difference.

Ironman8

WKR
Most of my terminal ballistics knowledge is in the realm of human anatomy where common knowledge is that bonded expanding rounds are a more reliable man-stopper (due to penetration) than a fragmenting designed bullet. If fragmenting designs are used, then you do want to go heavier for caliber so that the fragments are larger and penetrate further, plus better SD and momentum (ie. 77gr OTM vs 55gr out of an AR). So it does make sense to me when y’all say that you have good experience with things like 215gr Bergers from the 300WM.

However, I’ve always used bonded/expanding rounds for large game, deer or bigger, especially when broadside shots are being taken. I’m definitely open to changing my mind, so that’s why I’m posting this. There’s no question match bullets are more accurate than what’s on the market now in the bonded rounds, and there’s something to be said about being able to practice (a lot) with the same bullet you’ll be using in the field.

I just switched over to a 6.5CM and zeroed with 140gr ELD-M. Would y’all that have experience say that this would do the trick on large game like elk on a broadside shot? I’ve got a public land hunt next week in Texas where there are nilgai, and the plan was to take only neck/head shots after hearing how tough they are. Would y’all be comfortable with a broadside/shoulder shot with the 140gr from a 6.5CM?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't hesitate to take a broadside shot with that bullet. I used the 147 eldm this year and had great success.
longest shot was 567 yards.

Randy

prm

WKR
Having tested a few bullets I can say the 6.5 139 Lapua Scenar outperforms, or at least is comparable to, many 'hunting' bullets. In fact it out penetrated the 140 partition in a simple test in damp media (as well as the 147 ELD, 143 ELD, 140 ELD, 127 LRX and 140 Berger). Left a great channel too. Only one mule deer shot with it so far but it went in one side and out the other and destroyed the offside lung. Basically perfect performance. It's worth a try.

Sodbuster

WKR
"prm
Having tested a few bullets I can say the 6.5 139 Lapua Scenar outperforms, or at least is comparable to, many 'hunting' bullets. In fact it out penetrated the 140 partition in a simple test in damp media (as well as the 147 ELD, 143 ELD, 140 ELD, 127 LRX and 140 Berger). Left a great channel too. Only one mule deer shot with it so far but it went in one side and out the other and destroyed the offside lung. Basically perfect performance. It's worth a try."

I have read good things about this bullet but never tried one.If it went deep on a Barnes LRX I will probably find some.
Was this with a Creedmoor?

Last edited:

prm

WKR
Yes, 6.5 Creedmoor. Running ~2775 with RL16. I’ve also got good loads with the 127 LRX and 147 ELD-M, and wouldn’t hesitate to use them. There’s something different about the construction of the Scenar. It works.