Don't put stuff on the ground next to the truck

willy

FNG
Thanks for the reminder and a some laughs on a couple of the stories but I feel the pain too.

After getting several dozen carp ready to smoke I place the shrade old timer deer slayer 6" knife my Grandpa gave me when I was 16 on my buddies pickup bumper. He went to town to get some ice and later when I went to clean up knife and such I realized what I had done. I walked 2 miles of road and ditches looking for that knife. Never found it. I can buy a new one but not one my Grandpa gave me. That sucked.

I took a fella pheasant hunting once and he was using a model 12 winchester in great condition. He left the gun leaning against the pickup and when we got to the next field he realized it was missing. We went back and I had driven over it but nothing was damaged. Lucky.

tater

WKR
Cut and split 2 truckloads of firewood with 2 buddies. Walked back to the trucks, I put my saw, gas, and oil into my truck, grabbed a frosty beverage and a left handed cigarette and we reviewed the day.
Other guy had borrowed a saw, and was using my axe to split. He didn't put them in the truck right away and left em on the side of the road. Hotrodded ms200t, fuel, oil, files, saw tool, and a good axe. That was an expensive load of wood.

I wish i had the excuse of leftys and suds for running over my Husky 562XP with less than four cords of wood to its credit a few years back. Being stone cold sober just underlines the fact i may be the slowest elk in the herd.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So $1200, a day of hunting, effective range goes from 60+ to 20-30, and I am headed back up.

At least you have a backup. I had a buddy call me from camp this year to tell me that the string on his bow snapped at full draw. He needed a new string in a hurry, but in the meantime I gave him one of my backup bows to use. The kicker.......what are the odds that a LH guy that shoots at 32.5" draw could even find, let alone even knows another LH shooter that shoots at 32.5" draw? All I had to do was move the peep and he was hitting the bullseye from 20-40+ with BH's.

Bulldawg

WKR
I had to flag a cop down one time because there was a rifle case on the trunk of his car as he was driving through town. it looked like a strap was hung up on his antenna or something.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Well @KickinNDishin had me shoot some arrows this morning in camp with me recurve, and then told me I wasn't hunting with it. So she stalked some pronghorn (does) for a bit, stopped by a friend's place to try his backup bow, and then headed back to RMSGear and got a new bow. I should be back out Wednesday night through the end.

Two different bucks.
IMG_20200919_102233.jpgIMG_20200919_103147.jpgIMG_20200913_105957.jpgIMG_20200913_110326.jpg

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Drove off with my trekking poles still leaning against my truck. Only a $100 lesson but enough to make me a fanatic that things go straight into the truck or are layed in the bed. Fishing poles get layed on the hood so the don't get left leaning on the truck or shut in the tailgate. They are right there in front of you if you forget and jump in to drive away.

Finch

WKR
An older friend of mine (Frank) had a habit of putting his bow on the top of his old jeep while packing up from a hunt. He left the property and remembered the bow on top but it was too late. He retraced his steps but no bow was found. He called Mathews to tell them it was lost in case someone decided to be a good Samaritan and call in the serial #. Well, someone did pick it up but took it to an archery shop in North Carolina to send off for a new cam which was damaged from the fall to the road. Mathews called Frank but his son took the call instead. The son was told someone had the bow wanting a new cam for it and they'd ship it back to him since it was his bow. The son decided to surprise Frank with his lost bow for Christmas. Kind of a cool story.

The next season as I was driving to the same property to hunt, I saw a sign on the side of the road stating "Lost Bow" and it had a phone number on it. I decided to call the number to tell them the story of Frank's lost bow and that they should report it missing to the manufacturer and maybe they'd get lucky like Frank. As I'm dialing the number, Frank's contact info comes up. Ole Frank lost his bow a second time as I found out on that call. He still hasn't seen that bow since. :D

gbflyer

WKR
Backed over a Honda generator once. One of the old ones surrounded by steel tubing. Didn’t go clear under. Bent up a little but it still works.

My buddy did the same thing on Thanksgiving last year with his deer rifle. Had to drive back to our morning spot and thank God it was a camo gun laying in the grass cuz no one seen it and scooped it that day. Crazy. Sorry to see this at this point in the season. Id go for broke and try to salvage that over the winter if possible.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Schaaf

WKR
When I was young, my dad drove over his binos but luckily we were in some real soft shale and they just sunk down into the dirt.

Had a buddy drive over his Inreach last week, it didn't fare as well.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I do (A LOT) of duck hunting, I will usually lean my shotgun on my tire. When I do this, I also open the gas filler door. It gives me a visual indicator if I have left anything (I havent, but not for a lack of trying). ;)

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
some nice oakley's and a wallet full of CD's on another occasion, costly lesson but not in comparison to some other people stories.

Still sucks tho...

I do (A LOT) of duck hunting, I will usually lean my shotgun on my tire. When I do this, I also open the gas filler door. It gives me a visual indicator if I have left anything (I havent, but not for a lack of trying). ;)

I see so many open fuel doors. Maybe I should back track them to the find.

My kids laugh at me but every time we are back at the truck and packed, I always walk around the truck one last time, mostly making sure I didn't leave something on the ground.

PNWGATOR

WKR
This thread makes me feel human...lol.

My wife parked on my Glock with an F350 while fencing one summer day when it was freakin’ hot and I took it off and set it down next to me while working. Literally parked with the tire centered on it! Functioned perfectly afterwards fwiw.