Don’t really care about antlers

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
'A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be"

Fred Bear

Just like ethics, goals are specific to each individual. That's why some come home saying they had a very successful hunt but didn't kill anything. They just had different goals. One can have multiple goals in a season, but I don't think everyone has or even "needs" to have the same ultimate goal.

One of my main goals every year is to have the place to myself. Sometimes that goal gets met, and sometimes it doesn't. Last year was really close, but I still had one guy that was camped within a mile of me (truck camp).

I don't feel that way now but I did. when I first started I wouldn't pass anything unless it had spots. through time i've find myself letting more deer walk for various reasons. she's with a fawn, not big enough, it's the first weekend, the left side is busted up, etc. etc. I think its more or less excuses to have more time in the woods for me. there's no better practice than shooting live game, if you have the tags, fill em. you'll learn more from that than any target. targets don't move or bleed. shot placement and blood trailing are the 2 most important things you should learn after learning to shoot.

no, mature or old age class doesn't necessarily mean big rack but a lot of times go hand in hand. people target older deer for the fact there old for a reason. (smart) to out wit an old buck is an accomplishment a lot of hunters seek regardless of antler size.

after a few animals under your belt, you will get selective, it's the nature of the beast. I feel us as hunters evolve or grow so to speak, with more time in the woods. put meat in the freezer now while learning the fundamentals, the big bucks will come.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

With deer and elk I always try for mature: minimum of 5x5 on elk and 4x4 on mule deer. If I'm way back in mountains on foot I will not shoot a dink due to the work load on a older body. These are my personal restrictions after 30+ years. If freezer is low or family and work restrictions prevent ample time afield, I purchase wt doe\cow tags and fill the freezers as fast as I can

Mature to me means at least 4 years old, isn’t based on antler size. Mature critters act a lot differently generally speaking so it’s a different ballgame hunting them. Some places you can hold out for a certain antler size but try doing that in some areas and you’re really asking for tag soup.

It’s not that cut and dried for me - antlers vs not. Like others have said, I enjoy the challenge and experience associated with hunting a specific mature animal or type of animal. With few exceptions those animals happen to have large antlers and those antlers are the primary way by which most people identify and judge them. So, by default, that makes me and many others on this thread “antler guys” even though it is not just the specific antlers we seek out.

That being said, when I am successful the antlers go upstairs in my garage attic beside the Christmas decorations, never see a tape measure, and are definitely not all over social media... so I suppose by that definition I am not an “antler guy”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davem6869

FNG
Success is defined by you and no one else. The longer you hunt and the more success you have, the more you will enjoy shooting larger deer. elk or whatever else you are hunting. The main thing is understand what makes you happy. I hunt with guys that would be just as happy to shoot a little scrub buck as they would be to shoot a doe or a 130+ class deer. Dont judge your success by the hunting shows. people dont pay to watch some guy stalk a 2 year old Doe......

stonewall

WKR
for me, when it comes to hunting
whitetails around here, I'm at the point that I only want to shoot mature bucks (at least 4, 5+ preferred - depends on the pressure in the area...neighbors)
elk - brown it's down
haven't hunted mule deer yet, we'll see when i get there
pronghorn - at first just wanted to fill tag, now days I'll look for the best I can find within reason...and fill doe tags in the mean time

I like to talk scores with people to visualize what we're talking about...it's a point of reference. for example, my hunting buddy got a look at a bull this past season that I didn't. a score estimate gives me an idea of what he saw.

OXN939

WKR
I don't feel that way now but I did. when I first started I wouldn't pass anything unless it had spots. through time i've find myself letting more deer walk for various reasons. she's with a fawn, not big enough, it's the first weekend, the left side is busted up, etc. etc. I think its more or less excuses to have more time in the woods for me. there's no better practice than shooting live game, if you have the tags, fill em. you'll learn more from that than any target. targets don't move or bleed. shot placement and blood trailing are the 2 most important things you should learn after learning to shoot.

no, mature or old age class doesn't necessarily mean big rack but a lot of times go hand in hand. people target older deer for the fact there old for a reason. (smart) to out wit an old buck is an accomplishment a lot of hunters seek regardless of antler size.

after a few animals under your belt, you will get selective, it's the nature of the beast. I feel us as hunters evolve or grow so to speak, with more time in the woods. put meat in the freezer now while learning the fundamentals, the big bucks will come.

This. The more seasons you get under your belt, the more the emphasis shifts from the act of pulling the trigger to the experience of being outdoors and experiencing nature.

Great advice.

I just love shooting stuff and eating it, but I also love looking at a big rack hanging on my wall. I dont give two shits about what it scores or if anyone else ever sees it. They are all MY trophies and they bring back memories. But usually deer or elk with bigger racks are an older age class of animal, the older ones are typically fewer and harder to hunt. The extra challenge of finding and killing an educated mountain buck gives me more satisfaction than a small young buck. Plenty of hunters out there would be content shooting deer or elk from the road and comfort of their truck but generally, the group that rokslide attracts dont hunt the way we hunt because it's easy. Whether it be backpacking in and sticking it out in the elements, having the staying power when it seems like no animals are on the mountain, or just pushing yourself to be a better hunter by finding the most mature critters, challenging yourself will promote self growth.
Like I said, what an animal measures means nothing to me, I dont care about high fence or farm raised bucks no matter how big. But there is something special about a truly wild mature elk, and being able to harvest one gets my blood pumping. Especially when it has lots of bone hanging off its head.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The more seasons you get under your belt, the more the emphasis shifts from the act of pulling the trigger to the experience of being outdoors and experiencing nature.

Like I've said before, we have 11 months out of the year to experience nature. I can experience nature as well during hunting season, but the emphasis HAS to be the hunt that one month out of the year.

I shoot whatever gives me an adrenaline rush. Most of the time that occurs when a set of large antlers appears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enel

FNG
I have got to many of them to care anymore, when i started trophy hunting, it was such a big deal for me.