Don't Shoot An Elk Here! - YouTube clip

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
That looked brutal! Such a memorable memory though - I bet you won't ever forget that one!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, but it has to suck even worse carrying a load out and then looking back at your cameraman the entire time carrying nothing but the camera. I could never be a TV hunter. "Put the camera down and load up your pack, or get the heck on out of here".
I was thinking the same thing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Its obvious some dont realize the equipment its takes to film in elk country.
These guys arent using a little 'point & shoot' camera.
They probably put more miles on than the hunter, getting into position, lugging all the necessary film gear, plus their own gear, getting the right angle & lighting, just so some keyboard cowboys can minimize their duties.

I say 'Hats Off' to them.

I personally know an outdoor cameraman thats been on Alaska television shows, South America episodes and many lower 48 expeditions, and the stories he tells arent for the faint of heart, or muscle.

Ya, but it has to suck even worse carrying a load out and then looking back at your cameraman the entire time carrying nothing but the camera. I could never be a TV hunter. "Put the camera down and load up your pack, or get the heck on out of here".

From what I recall per the podcast on his same hunt the camera guy carried meat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Its obvious some dont realize the equipment its takes to film in elk country.
These guys arent using a little 'point & shoot' camera.
They probably put more miles on than the hunter, getting into position, lugging all the necessary film gear, plus their own gear, getting the right angle & lighting, just so some keyboard cowboys can minimize their duties.

I wouldn't care if he's carrying his entire house and mine as well. Bull down......time to turn the camera off and pack it out. I'd make a much better elk packer than a camera man......that's for sure.

From what I recall per the podcast on his same hunt the camera guy carried meat too.

Good on him. If that's the case.......I'd have to take the camera from him and make sure he got on film as well.

I think Randy is well known for dragging cameramen through the ringer. Remember the episode where they stayed overnight, not in their tent and not at camp, to put the jump on a bull early in the morning. The camerman was covered in saplings and inside a game bag to stay warm.

This pack out has to be the worst I've seen and I've watched a lot of shows. Hopefully this will be my year to feel some misery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I think Randy is well known for dragging cameramen through the ringer. Remember the episode where they stayed overnight, not in their tent and not at camp, to put the jump on a bull early in the morning. The camerman was covered in saplings and inside a game bag to stay warm.

This pack out has to be the worst I've seen and I've watched a lot of shows. Hopefully this will be my year to feel some misery.

Correct. Our camera guys haul loads of meat, also. Marcus, Tyler, and a few fill-in guys I use are some serious mountain badasses. I've had a few who would shut it down once we had an animal on the ground, light up a smoke and say, "I don't pack, man. I only film." They lasted one trip.

Marcus who was on this Colorado trip is an amazing guy. He grew up in Montana, chasing elk since he was very young. He's almost done with his Masters in film, and he is always wanting to do more than the next guy. A constant fountain of optimism and encouragement.

When this Colorado bull you see in the video hit the ground, we dumped all but the essentials at the ledge from where I shot. I carried the carving tools down to the bulls and Marcus carried a camera. He helped with the quartering. We each hauled a load out that night. The next morning we went back down with the same bare carving essentials and video camera, boning out what we had left hanging down in that hole. Marcus carried another load to our shuttle location, while filming some of it. With the last load of the head/antlers and a bag of trim to be extracted, I carried the cumbersome load of the head, while he filmed and carried a load of trim.

When we are out for a day hunt, each camera guy has two tripods, binos, big camera, a DSLR, extra batteries, lenses, spare clothing layers, and what he needs for food and water. I have a POV camera, a mirrorless camera, game bags, spotter and tripod, smaller tripod, rifle and ammo, carving tools, game bags, spare clothing layers, and what I need for food and water. My day pack is over 35# with all this stuff. The camera guys' packs are even more weight. Our average day elk hunting is 8-12 miles, depending on terrain and/or season.

These loads are what we carry all day, every day, every mile. It is what is required to film the places we go and the animals we chase. These camera guys are serious hunters. I can't give them enough credit. Guest hunters usually comment that they are glad they only have to do it for a week, rather than the four months we do it.

The image belowe is Marcus loaded down for a day of archery hunting. This is his daily rig, a bit lighter as in warm weather in archery season we don't have to haul as much extra clothing. Suffice to say, we don't compromise on packs and boots, given the weight and miles we put on them.

View attachment 51094

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
yeah, this situation concerns me, especially since I'm solo this season, will be 69 years old then, and recovering from a knee replacement on 06 March!! Having the discipline to NOT release my arrow might be interesting, especially since I'm getting low on meat in the freezer. You think at my age I should have more sense (probably not!)..............

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Correct. Our camera guys haul loads of meat, also. Marcus, Tyler, and a few fill-in guys I use are some serious mountain badasses. I've had a few who would shut it down once we had an animal on the ground, light up a smoke and say, "I don't pack, man. I only film." They lasted one trip.

Marcus who was on this Colorado trip is an amazing guy. He grew up in Montana, chasing elk since he was very young. He's almost done with his Masters in film, and he is always wanting to do more than the next guy. A constant fountain of optimism and encouragement.

When this Colorado bull you see in the video hit the ground, we dumped all but the essentials at the ledge from where I shot. I carried the carving tools down to the bulls and Marcus carried a camera. He helped with the quartering. We each hauled a load out that night. The next morning we went back down with the same bare carving essentials and video camera, boning out what we had left hanging down in that hole. Marcus carried another load to our shuttle location, while filming some of it. With the last load of the head/antlers and a bag of trim to be extracted, I carried the cumbersome load of the head, while he filmed and carried a load of trim.

When we are out for a day hunt, each camera guy has two tripods, binos, big camera, a DSLR, extra batteries, lenses, spare clothing layers, and what he needs for food and water. I have a POV camera, a mirrorless camera, game bags, spotter and tripod, smaller tripod, rifle and ammo, carving tools, game bags, spare clothing layers, and what I need for food and water. My day pack is over 35# with all this stuff. The camera guys' packs are even more weight. Our average day elk hunting is 8-12 miles, depending on terrain and/or season.

These loads are what we carry all day, every day, every mile. It is what is required to film the places we go and the animals we chase. These camera guys are serious hunters. I can't give them enough credit. Guest hunters usually comment that they are glad they only have to do it for a week, rather than the four months we do it.

The image belowe is Marcus loaded down for a day of archery hunting. This is his daily rig, a bit lighter as in warm weather in archery season we don't have to haul as much extra clothing. Suffice to say, we don't compromise on packs and boots, given the weight and miles we put on them.

View attachment 51094

That's awesome, Randy. Sounds like you have some great guys on the "team".

rodney482

WKR
Im stealing that stick idea.
Great bull!
Pack off at the truck is an amazing feeling