Don't Shoot An Elk Here! - YouTube clip

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Some small excerpts that are part of our daily life producing the Fresh Tracks TV show and the Randy Newberg, Hunter YouTube channel. Kind of funny now, but it sure wasn't funny for the two days of work invested to extract him. These clips never make TV, due to time constraints, but I put this one out there to show what many of you know very well; that public land elk hunting is not always easy.

I've never been known for intelligence and this YouTube segment is convicting evidence. But, I have found that determination, combined with the mindset of "This is going to be a pain in the ...," are pretty good equalizers for my below average talent and IQ. I often say that consistent success on public land elk goes to those who have the mental expectation that there are times it will not be "fun."

Over the two days of packing this bull out we had some groups come by as we were dropping loads at the trail head. When they asked if we had seen any elk, I pointed out plenty of elk, mostly in canyons similar to this. They demonstrated their superior intelligence by declining the opportunity to fill their tags in similar areas.

Thanks for watching.

[video=youtube_share;Z2_QOG2LCrU]https://youtu.be/Z2_QOG2LCrU[/video]

Beendare

WKR
Awe, by next year you will shoot one in the same spot....just like you did the year before....and the year before that...and the year before that.......grin

HOT ROD

WKR
Thanks for sharing the experience Randy... That's is a nice bull... Now the ultimate question... Would U shoot a bull in there again?

elkguide

WKR
I hunted a place called "bitch creek," that was named to help people think twice before shooting an elk in there!

Dinger

WKR
Respect, a lot of respect......I appreciate the truth and honesty you bring to your content.

elkduds

WKR
I've looked down that canyon, and the ones on either side. Better you than me, Randy. That fine bull is well-deserved!

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
I could of shot that video in the breaks of the Salmon river last year. I've had some pretty miserable packs but that bull was right up there at the top. We never seems to learn our lesson though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And here I opened the thread expecting to see a "shot placement" thread. One rule I stick to pretty well is to not think about the packout until AFTER I have one down. Yep, there's work involved in hunting elk. I've said it many times in the past, there's not a single elk hunt that I don't come home from without blood on me. And sometimes it's even elk blood.

Oak brush is of the Devil, especially carrying an elk rack on your back. Great bull, Randy.

I always look at it this way.......a couple days after the hunt is over and I'm home, I look back at the hunt and the packout and it's always worth it IMO. I haven't had a single time where I looked back and said "gosh, sure wish I'd never done that". Even this past year, where I got another herniated disc in my neck and numbness in my hand from carrying out the head and rack.......I would still do it again.

Last edited:

Stwrt9

WKR
Awesome Randy! it's places like that that memories are truly made, one i'm sure you'll never forget!!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice video and nice bull. You'll do it again.......thank god for short memories.
As the saying goes, "if it were easy, everyone would be doing it."

Randy

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great video and bull👍 Captures what elk hunting is all about a trophy well deserved and every step remembered.

No pain, no elk is what I try to keep in mind. That oak brush has got to be the worst! Friend shot one in NM last year and similarly took 3 guys 2 full days. Only thing worse I can think of is doing it solo as there's nobody you can complain with!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
If this doesn't give one motivation to workout nothing will :). I bet you shoot another bull there ;)

svivian

WKR
You weren't kidding Randy when you say you like to hunt edges of the unit where people don't go! I know a lot of places that would have been easier pack out in that unit. Great bull thanks for sharing.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran across this earlier on youtube and got a good laugh! Such a bad feeling when you realize what lies ahead in that situation. Thanks for sharing Randy!

njdoxie

WKR
I always hunt up...and that's tough enough, and I know my limits and heed them. I've passed up bulls because the packout would've been to bad for me......that bull would've lived another day if I saw him lol

Last edited:
Looks like the stuff I hunt in. Anyone else do this?

"Ok, I will go to that tree (20 yds way) one step, two step, uh.... stop, sit down"

Saving grace in Randy's hunt, it's a rifle hunt, later in the year. Meat isn't much of a concern due to cooler weather. Shoot one in country like that during archery, it's the definition of stupid.