“Don’t shoot my dog” etc

Opah

WKR
"My response would be “I always make very sure of my target, and look carefully at what’s behind my target before I pull the trigger. I don’t want to hurt anybody, I just want to fill a deer tag.”
You really think they are even going to listen to a response ?
this is their imagination at work

They dream this would be the result of a wussy hunters response, we would just slap the shit out of them and send them Packing! Bunch of wanta be's, parading around with their guns.

Last edited:

CoStick

WKR
As hunters it can be very difficult to believe that people can actually be afraid of guns, and afraid of hunters. But many are. As others have said, being reasonable and reassuring can be good for both communities.
In Wisconsin they need to label livestock to keep it from getting shot. First time I saw cow written in blaze orange on a cow I thought it was a one off, but seems it is needed for speaking with the farmers.

Another time I saw a guy in orange walking the railroad tracks with a rifle and 6 pack of beer on his belt with 2 beers left.

I don’t find it shocking people are “afraid” of hunters.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In Wisconsin they need to label livestock to keep it from getting shot. First time I saw cow written in blaze orange on a cow I thought it was a one off, but seems it is needed for speaking with the farmers.

Another time I saw a guy in orange walking the railroad tracks with a rifle and 6 pack of beer on his belt with 2 beers left.

I don’t find it shocking people are “afraid” of hunters.
If there is a god, that guy, I won't call him a hunter, has had his hunting privileges taken away. They are the exception to the rule but, it's the exceptions which make the rules.

"My response would be “I always make very sure of my target, and look carefully at what’s behind my target before I pull the trigger. I don’t want to hurt anybody, I just want to fill a deer tag.”
You really think they are even going to listen to a response ?
this is their imagination at work

They dream this would be the result of a wussy hunters response, we would just slap the shit out of them and send them Packing! Bunch of wanta be's, parading around with their guns.
As I said … it might be waste of ten seconds. I’m still gonna take the high ground and act like a decent human being, instead of immediately copping an attitude, or carrying one with me into the encounter. Even if they act like a jerk that’s an amazing opportunity to be even more reasonable and put them to shame.

Opah

WKR
As I said … it might be waste of ten seconds. I’m still gonna take the high ground and act like a decent human being, instead of immediately copping an attitude, or carrying one with me into the encounter. Even if they act like a jerk that’s an amazing opportunity to be even more reasonable and put them to shame.
They Have to Have honor to be able to have shame, since it is a one time thing, most likely not to be repeated yes I would take the high road or just ignore them.
Every time they get away with it they will get louder and bolder, Sooner or later they will mouth off to the wrong person and a lesson will be learned.

Last edited:

Opah

WKR
Why do we make excuses for rudeness, for any body. people should be held accountable. I don't know them they don't know me, we both should keep our mouths shut and just be trekking. They want to be a dick, I think they should be curcomsized !

Last edited:
Apparently from watching that clip Opah, you take your lessons on human interaction and interpersonal diplomacy from Westerns? Probably not the best source for real life scenarios.

AZ8

WKR
A little bit of a slide……but there was a big case here in Arizona almost 20 years ago involving 2 guys meeting on a trail with loose dogs. Tempers flared, dogs charged, hiker fired warning shot, man with dogs charged, hiker fired in self defense…… In the end, guy with dogs was killed, the other spent 3 years in prison before his conviction was overturned.

99% of the time, our encounters will be benign. But we don’t know when that one time, things get out of hand and the story above happens.

Internet tough guy bravado isn't sound advice.

Just ignore them/be cordial and just keep walking.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I can see a situation where you maintain your cool and try to let it go but you have come upon an anti hunter who is looking for a confrontation and possibly wanting you to react to his or her hostility. That could go south in a hurry. Now what??????

Wapiti1

WKR
I never have these wacky experiences while hunting. Almost makes me want to hunt in Libland or wherever the Oompa Loompah’s are that say this kind of stuff.

The bulk of my stories are self induced stupidity that ended well and I lived.

you guys have all the fun.

Jeremy

FLATHEAD

WKR
Yeah, I dont think I've ever had an encounter with an anti here in Alabama.
Or any other state for that matter.
Course I'm a good people avoider most of the time.

elkyinzer

WKR
Big old smile, head nod, and "hope you're enjoying your day" usually takes care of things if not move on and go about business as usual with some caution.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The only problem was years ago on dove opener. Lost of trucks had flat tires in the area we were hunting. That was the bad part. The good part was they got arrested by AZ. F & G. Not that they really cared. Bottom line, they didn't save one dove.

Fordguy

WKR
Not a "don't shoot my dog" story, but a few decades ago I had an ex-girlfriend who remained good friends with my mother (Not a fan of that situation to this day, but whatever). The ex got engaged and invited her future mother-in-law over to my parent's house, where I happened to be getting ready to clean a limit of squirrels from a morning hunt. This woman (whom I had not previously met) walks up to me and stares at the 5 squirrels that I've laid out on the porch step and with great concern exclaims "oh my gosh, how did they die?!"

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Not a "don't shoot my dog" story, but a few decades ago I had an ex-girlfriend who remained good friends with my mother (Not a fan of that situation to this day, but whatever). The ex got engaged and invited her future mother-in-law over to my parent's house, where I happened to be getting ready to clean a limit of squirrels from a morning hunt. This woman (whom I had not previously met) walks up to me and stares at the 5 squirrels that I've laid out on the porch step and with great concern exclaims "oh my gosh, how did they die?!"
Lead poisoning bitch. Watch out, it's contagious.