“Don’t shoot my dog” etc

When you’re using trail systems and encounter hikers etc, how do you guys respond when someone says “don’t shoot my dog!” Or similar?

Looking to expand my catalogue of quick responses.
Be fair, some idiots do shoot at movement and point their gun at every sound or thing they look at...As though they are Steven f-ing Segal!

- Of course not, I only aim and shoot at what I'm hunting. Enjoy your day. 👋

I might even ask them to avoid a direction or an area, if possible. Or ask them where they plan on going. So we don't cross paths again and have an accident.

Last edited:

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
I believe my first reaction would just be the question “Why in the world would you think I’d do that???” Then it would be very easy to go from there judging from their response.

Fordguy

WKR
Lead poisoning bitch. Watch out, it's contagious.
I told her that I shot them, and the look on her face was priceless as she loudly and mournfully exclaimed "WHYYY?! in an almost wailing question. My reply- "because those little buggers are delicious." (Squirrels work really well in gumbo by the way). She was from Ann Arbor- I was the barbarian hick from rural central Michigan who kills wild things and eats them. Lol. I'm all for explaining why (and how) I hunt and how I try to use (eat) everything I kill, however, it was obvious that she wasn't going to listen to an explanation even if I made the effort.

MJB

WKR
It's usually me telling the hunters not to shoot my dogs, before we go push some ditches for pheasants.
Most of my encounters in SoCal have been good they always ask what are you hunting....... And I ask if they've seen any game I'm chasing. Sometimes I get good intel

Ford guy, I have a very good hunting buddy who is married too a woman like that, but then he is from WVA. and she is from N.Y.C.

Not georgeous, but not ugly either, but ugly on the inside when it comes too hunting, Told my wife of 47 years before we got married I have a mistress her name is hunting, she said no problem, and has been very supportive of the affair, You just need too do your homework with things like that.

AZmark

WKR
When I'm out in the forest or desert hunting birds, or if I'm just walking my dog I always put a red bandanna on here just in case I run across some idiot out there. Like it or not there are a lot of idiot hunters, not just idiot hikers.

hobbes

WKR
I had a Colorado ewe tag once and hiked in on a trail well before daylight. Not having any luck, I hiked out with my rifle over my shoulder. I had no idea how popular the trail was. I had to have met 50 or more hikers on the way out. Some of them almost shit themselves when they saw me. I don't know how many times I was asked what I was hunting and then heard "You can hunt those?".

If I'd had blood to my elbows and a broken down ewe in my pack complete with a ewe head, some of them would have needed therapy. :)

I was polite to them all.

Rokbar

WKR
I find it irresponsible of hikers to not know when hunting season is! I know when it is. We have trouble with hikers stealing bear dogs, removing and discarding tracking collars, and sheltering the hounds. But as mentioned earlier just a smile and nod of the head drives them nuts.