Door Gunner- real world capacity

Did a search and a little reading. Seemed like many are trying to make the DG into something it's not- with most running a belt and some kat asking to haul Qtrs with it.

I already have a DT 2 and DT 3, and a 14'r. Love the 14'r. But I spend a lot of time hiking w Mrs and 3 dogs. Usually Day Hikes but remote in Big Bear country.

Wanting just enough gear for In Case. Particularly I want to throw my SuperTarp in there for unexpected weather and let us all get some cover from hail or summer heavy rains. Folding Gomboy saw for NoShitter fire prep. And a puffy of some flavor. Small stuff like headlamp, Point-n-Shoot, iPhone, TQ and small medical.

Supertarp and handful of 6 groundhawgs are about football sized. Puffy will probably be a Kelvin Lt.....so another football. Saw will flod and become a 3rd Stay so to speak.

Asking too much for 1000ci?

I really don't want to get some much crap I need the waist belt.

I have the HPG Tarahumara. Just can't warm up to the Yoke, which most rave over. Simply don't like it. Pack hangs way low on me and my shoulders and back are movie screen wide. Standard Kifaru straps/yokes are just fine.

Lastly....Kifaru mentions an EDC belt. IF I did want to add a belt, are these the same belts as on my Duplex frame? Is my 14'r belt the same? Only saw one belt on the website for sale, so inquiring if Kifaru only makes one belt, or 2-3 different styles/padding options?

Sounds perfect for what you’re describing. I hauled my DG around on a family vacation with a possibles kit in a medium UL pullout, spare batt, couple of headlamps, 2 or 3 rain jackets depending on the weather and who was wearing theres, 2 Nalgene bottles, 2 liter bottles, and some small odds and ends we picked up walking around town. No belt and probably weighed 15# or so. Worked perfect. Having an Antero, Spike Camp, and Tarryall in the cache I preferred the DG for the slim profile getting on and off tour buses and in and out of exhibits. The stays keep a nice form to the pack and carryied the weight well even without the belt. The belt is a padded style Omni belt with only a single stabilizer strap vs the older I’m I belt with upper and lower delta straps. It uses Velcro to secure to the pack instead of stay pockets or the sleeve of the duplex belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can fit a reasonable amount of gear in there if you're smart but I'd never consider hauling a decent load. I use mine for hot weather scouting and carry a few things. I take too much camera gear with me so that's a problem I've created for myself, but still, I've had the DG with a tripod down a side pocket, a 3L water bladder, bottle of sunscreen, medium gorilla pod and gopro, a couple of knives, wireless microphone kit, mirrorless camera with 12-40mm lens, etc. Your shoulders definitely get a little sore if you put too much in there but I don't intend on doing that very often.

The weather is warming up big time down here in Australia so I'll just camera a camera and water for lots of scouts/stalks over the next few months.

OP
J
Is there any way to attach a belt pouch or pocket to a Door Gunner? It really seems perfect but just not sure it has quite the capacity. Love the idea of stays and more rigid design. Just hoping for a couple more cubes...

Not seeing how it’s possible but asking

You can add a Sherman to the Door Gunner. I have a custom grab it like beaver tail item I run on my DG and it's worked great so far.

6b6e20ddc5dd06a33b533d68b4783d4e.png
ceed4d0a095211d641ba7ce627bf9e34.png
40a8738191d73c95207f8d206d238c3d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk