Door screens effective on tipi?

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about a SO 4 man and wondering if the door screens are effective at keeping out mosquitoes - in the mountains in summer. I have an LBO nest if needed. I wouldn't think they would work all that great but obviously they're sold and people buy them. Would be nice to not bring a nest if didn't have too. Hot tent season they wouldn't be needed for obvious reasons 😁

WoodBow

WKR
Should work great if you can seal off your gaps around the bottom of shelter.

svivian

WKR
Yes it works well on my cimarron, i would say its not 100% though unless you really seal up the bottom.

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it works well on my cimarron, i would say its not 100% though unless you really seal up the bottom.
So if your camped by a swamp it's not going to cut it but for a general spot in the trees it works pretty well?

svivian

WKR
I camp on the Grand Mesa through out the summer and it is mosquito infested and I am just fine with the screen doors. You may have a few that get in but nothing I would worry about. I am not sure where you are planning to use it but the mosquitos up there can compete with the ones I encountered in areas of Alaska I have been to for reference.

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Good feedback thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for - I can handle some mosquitoes but I've been eaten up in my LBO - I imagine securing the ground flaps and using the screen door for nice ventilation would work well

svivian

WKR
I laid long sticks or small logs along the sod skirt to seal the bottom. You could also use dirt i suppose or anything that wont tear your tent. The only area you cannot seal is the actual screen door at the bottom but again had no issues with a few that managed to find a way in.

Phaseolus

WKR
I camp on the Grand Mesa through out the summer and it is mosquito infested and I am just fine with the screen doors. You may have a few that get in but nothing I would worry about. I am not sure where you are planning to use it but the mosquitos up there can compete with the ones I encountered in areas of Alaska I have been to for reference.
If it is good enough for Grand Mesa it is good enough for anywhere.