Dope chart

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
Ok
I now know my actual moa at 200, 300, 400 and 500 for my rifle ammo combo. I don’t have capability to shoot out to 600 and beyond... is there a calculator where I can extrapolate out to 1000 yards using my 4 data points?
Kris

Depends on what you’re shooting, but I know Hornady has a calculator on their site based on your loads/rifle combo that has been accurate for me.

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t find the place to input my own dope moa for my rifle/ammo combo?

kris

Wapiti1

WKR
So, to do what you want, enter your info into JBM for muzzle velocity, bullet info, and sight in.

Compare the output of the program to your DOPE. Adjust either the velocity, or the B.C. until your DOPE matches the calculation output. If you are confident of your muzzle velocity, then adjust the B.C.

Jeremy

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
So, to do what you want, enter your info into JBM for muzzle velocity, bullet info, and sight in.

Compare the output of the program to your DOPE. Adjust either the velocity, or the B.C. until your DOPE matches the calculation output. If you are confident of your muzzle velocity, then adjust the B.C.

Jeremy
Finally I got the answer. Thank you Wapiti1

Wapiti1

WKR
It is best if you have an accurate muzzle velocity and adjust the BC. Remember that you are going to still be a little off at longer ranges. As the bullet slows, the BC changes. It may not change enough to matter, but understand that you might be off a little.

Just a clarification, and caveat.

Jeremy

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
It is best if you have an accurate muzzle velocity and adjust the BC. Remember that you are going to still be a little off at longer ranges. As the bullet slows, the BC changes. It may not change enough to matter, but understand that you might be off a little.

Just a clarification, and caveat.

Jeremy
Jeremy your awesome thank you for taking the time to teach!
Rock on

kris

davsco

WKR
lots of options, i use and like Shooter app on my phone, $10.

even with ballistic app info, i would really try to shoot those longer distances in real life before trying them out on elk etc. should be able to find a range somewhere near you, or look for a PRS match.

WCB

WKR
Anybody else use the G7 calculator on Gunwerks site? I use it and you do initial calculations then confirm at the longest distance you can. It has you put in the actual DOPE vs the original calculation and it adjusts the chart. Its worked for me out to 900 yards after I confirmed/updated with my actual corrections at 600.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else use the G7 calculator on Gunwerks site? I use it and you do initial calculations then confirm at the longest distance you can. It has you put in the actual DOPE vs the original calculation and it adjusts the chart. Its worked for me out to 900 yards after I confirmed/updated with my actual corrections at 600.
I use the applied ballistics app. Its like $30 bucks buts its pretty awesome. It's the only app I've ever spent a dollar on but I like it for a few reason.
1) It's got most rifle bullet profiles already loaded and I find them to be more accurate that the manufacturer data (they do all their own BC testing)
2) If you have data to your phone it can pull your gps location and update your atmospherics
3) You can save rifle profiles and set different loads for each rifle. I use it to store reload data
4) As long as you learn how to use it its always super accurate. I'm not smart enough to understand why but my friends that are claim the way their calculator works is the most accurate. The nicer Kestrels and I believe the gunwerks rangefinder use there calculator.

It was tough for me to spend the money but once I learned how to use it I have never regretted the one time purchase. It has several features that are currently above my head but I continue to figure out how to better use the app.

If you have trouble sleeping at night they also sell a great book set. It's pretty dry but considered to be the bible of long range ballistics. Several sections are much to dense for me but I try to chip away at it.

I have the Applied Ballistics app, their data seems to be more accurate in my rifles than the Hornady calculator and a few others. i have used the data out to 1100 yards on steel targets with only minor corrections for wind.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Like it's been said, defintely want to actually shoot those distances, get the dope on your chosen round in that rifle, before shooting an elk. Your round will not behave exactly as the ballistic calculator says, simply because of differences in atmospherics, your particular bore/ barrel, etc.
Especially at those longer distances, it could change a lot, and really throw your shot off.
Just my .2

gumbl3

WKR
G7 ballistics app will do this.. Click on Trajectory Validation and you can input your known yardage and drop in either mil/moa or inches to run your ballistics table

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
lots of options, i use and like Shooter app on my phone, $10.

even with ballistic app info, i would really try to shoot those longer distances in real life before trying them out on elk etc. should be able to find a range somewhere near you, or look for a PRS match.
Davsco
Totally agree with you on Shooter App and also taking the time to actually verify those data points for your individual set up. It’s an algorithm that will get you close but by no means perfect. Thanks for your insight!