Double Bow Case?

PA Archer

FNG
Just wondering if anyone has a double bow case that they use to fly with and just what the space is like in it? Can it actually be used to hold 2 bows and some gear or if thats pushing it. Ive looked at the SKB line of them and they look decent but is there any other brands that work well or not. Thanks

I have found myself looking around for the same thing. Been using an skb single but looking for something a little bigger. Probably something that I would still only carry a single bow in, but that would have room for a good bit of gear.

Right now the skb ultimate is looking good but it's pricey. Curious what might be out there that I'm over looking.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the skb double. Your not going to have much extra room in there with 2 bows. Plenty of room if limit it to a single bow the divider takes up a bunch of room. If you need any pictures let me know

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Same here with the skb double. It can hold my bow in the top and rifle assembled and shotgun broken down with some other stuff in the bottom. Its over 50 lbs when I load it that way. Will hold 2 bows and not much else and be under 50 lbs. Its a huge case though. Bought it specically for an africa trip that got pushed to 2021. Was going to do wing shooting and then kudu rifle and other plains game with a bow. Other then specific trips like that its almost too much case.

Either of y'all know exactly which case you have? Looks like they have several options on the double bow case now. I-series which is what I was looking at, then a pro series that will also hold an arrow box, then the ATA series which seems like what I currently have in a single bow case.

Looking for something to fly with, that will have room to put optics and pistol in. Possibly shelter, pad, that kind of stuff too. Maybe I should put optics in my carry on, but looking at if I'm going to have an oversized checked bag I'd like to have as much in it as possible, without going over weight.

Might just ship the thing also.

Stalker69

WKR
I use skb double bow cases for all my bows. I don’t carry two bows, but leave my quiver on and often full of arrows. They work great, best I’ve found.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Either of y'all know exactly which case you have? Looks like they have several options on the double bow case now. I-series which is what I was looking at, then a pro series that will also hold an arrow box, then the ATA series which seems like what I currently have in a single bow case.

Looking for something to fly with, that will have room to put optics and pistol in. Possibly shelter, pad, that kind of stuff too. Maybe I should put optics in my carry on, but looking at if I'm going to have an oversized checked bag I'd like to have as much in it as possible, without going over weight.

Might just ship the thing also.

I have this one. Fly with a gun if able so your bow doesn't get jacked with. Will easily fit all that.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
That's the I-series ultimate I was looking at. Really like the looks of it, just purchase price is going to hurt.

Good things usually do :p . I bought mine for 399 so just a touch cheaper with free shipping.

SO most airlines have a 50 lb maximum and a 62" combined measurement limit Maximum (width+length+height) before over sized and over weight bags apply. That case will trigger on oversized charge regardless of the weight.

Last edited:
Good things usually do :p . I bought mine for 399 so just a touch cheaper with free shipping.

SO most airlines have a 50 lb minimum and a 62" combined measurement limit (width+length+height) before over sized and over weight bags apply. That case will trigger on oversized charge regardless of the weight.

Right. The 62" combined I think most any bow case will be that big. I think you can go 70-75# once paying for oversized.

And I think it's 50# max, not min.

New to flying with a bow, trying to get it figured out. Been driving, makes it easier.

Thanks for the info and help.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Right. The 62" combined I think most any bow case will be that big. I think you can go 70-75# once paying for oversized.

And I think it's 50# max, not min.

New to flying with a bow, trying to get it figured out. Been driving, makes it easier.

Thanks for the info and help.

Minimum 🤦‍♂️ Yea I meant max. Sorry. Post edited.

Either one of these may scoot through at 63-62.5" for a double case and if you could keep them under 50 lbs you maybe able to avoid baggage fees.

Multiple single bow cases work.

I went with the 46" long case specifically to be able to fit a gun as well. Or to be able to put 3 or 4 guns in a case as we normally travel in groups.

No problem on the help happy to sir.

Last edited:
Minimum 🤦‍♂️ Yea I meant max. Sorry. Post edited.

Either one of these may scoot through at 63-62.5" for a double case and if you could keep them under 50 lbs you maybe able to avoid baggage fees.

Multiple single bow cases work.

I went with the 46" long case specifically to be able to fit a gun as well. Or to be able to put 3 or 4 guns in a case as we normally travel in groups.

No problem on the help happy to sir.

Both of those are giving interior dimensions. The exterior are still a bit more. Not going to cut it for the 62".

I think I have 2 free checked bags, so a small single and something else might do it.

This is the closest I can find to 62". It comes in at 62.75.
Screenshot_20200701-225008.png

This is the next closest,
Screenshot_20200701-225250.png

Might be they wouldn't include handles or wheels when they measure and you would be alright.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yea sorry man my reading comprehension must have been in the toilet yesterday. (long day at work)

With all that being said I have never actually had an airline counter put a tape measure to a bag or case. I’ve also had them routinely let overweight bags by a couple pounds slide. I wouldn't be worried over 3/4 of an inch. I also would spend the money on the case you will get the most use out of. My double gun and my double bow cases sit for a long time. When I do use them its to go somewhere cool but they never get used day to day.

fatlander

WKR
I’ve got the I series double case. If you pull the padding out, you’ll have much more room. My hunting partner and I stuff our clothes, sleeping bags, and extra gear that you can’t carry on in there. More or less using our gear as padding. It’s always over the weight but it’s oversized anyway w/o the weight penalty. May as well get your moneys worth and fill that bad boy to the hilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got the I series double case. If you pull the padding out, you’ll have much more room. My hunting partner and I stuff our clothes, sleeping bags, and extra gear that you can’t carry on in there. More or less using our gear as padding. It’s always over the weight but it’s oversized anyway w/o the weight penalty. May as well get your moneys worth and fill that bad boy to the hilt.

That's what I was thinking. Stuff it as full as possible. I checked on shipping and with a commercial account I can send it ups ground cheaper than oversized checked bag. Thinking I might do that. Just print a return slip as well. Assuming I can find a location to drop it off to ship it back.

fatlander

WKR
That's what I was thinking. Stuff it as full as possible. I checked on shipping and with a commercial account I can send it ups ground cheaper than oversized checked bag. Thinking I might do that. Just print a return slip as well. Assuming I can find a location to drop it off to ship it back.

Shipping it is definitely the way to go if you’re not bringing a gun. My hunting partner has to have his .44 with him, so he checks the bow case when he declares his gun at the counter. Plus side to that is it keeps TSA from monkeying with anything when you’re not there.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the same one as Flatlander I believe (SKB Iseries 4719 I think) I cram as much clothing as such in there as I can. It's a surprising amount.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I own 2 SKB double bow cases. Why mess with anything else ?

One case I can substitute a bow for a gun and it has wheels to boot.

Yea sorry man my reading comprehension must have been in the toilet yesterday. (long day at work)

With all that being said I have never actually had an airline counter put a tape measure to a bag or case. I’ve also had them routinely let overweight bags by a couple pounds slide. I wouldn't be worried over 3/4 of an inch. I also would spend the money on the case you will get the most use out of. My double gun and my double bow cases sit for a long time. When I do use them its to go somewhere cool but they never get used day to day.
Archery equipment is exempt from the 62” rule on some airlines. It’s special sport equipment, which is allowed up to 126” on American (could vary from airline to airline) and still the 50lbs max. That being said, I have had a gate agent at Albuquerque take a tape measure to my bow case and tell me it was oversized at 66” in total. I argued, but it was either pay the fee or miss my flight, so you never know who you will get. I now usually print the section from the airlines website about archery equipment and keep it in the case.