Double elk kill

I have seen a few videos of multiple guys killing elk one after another out of the same herd.

How often does this really happen and have you ever been a part of a double?

My cousin and I pulled a double on cow elk last season with a suppressed rifle. The rest of the herd never acknowledged that anything had happened.

Extrapale

WKR
Yes with a rifle twice. Herd of 6 bedded bulls, my buddy shot his first. I shot mine after the others jumped up and ran a few feet.

2nd time I shot a 5x out of a bedded herd. The rest ran around the hill and right into my brother. He shot a spike.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I've been part of a triple on cow elk. 4 if you count the one killed by a 2nd group of hunters who got onto the same herd at the same time as my group.

WCB

WKR
Had clients kill a cow, bull, and then miss another bull out of the same heard opening day one year. If you can get the good ole' 1,2,3 going no reason it can't happen. If one guy shoots and the other waits I would say 50/50 chance they stick around.

I have seen herds just cluster after a shot. Also, snuck up on 5 bedded bells with a client picked out the one he wanted. He hit it bedded and it just stood up. Hit it two more time through the lungs. The other bulls literally just stood there the whole time and then took a couple minutes to leave after staring at their dead buddy. Easily could have killed them all...the smallest was a 300" 5x5

Beendare

WKR
Its easier than you think if you aren't picky on quality.

We have done it a couple times...but had many more opportunities.

A herd bull with a hot cow can attract multiple satellites creating a frenzy- the ideal situation for a bow hunter

. Once you get in that situation, its not difficult to call in multiple bulls as you have satellites investigating the ruckus. We had one second bull walk right by the first dead bull to come in.

Typically the hard part is weeding through the satellites to kill that herd bull.

______

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I did it this past January. It was with rifles, on private, a herd of over 150, and two months after any other hunting had been done--so a pretty ideal scenario. I shot first, the herd moved a little and several cows stopped to look around, then he shot. Best part was they were 20 yards on either side of a two track road.

Laramie

WKR
Never archery but several times with rifle. During archery we just stop hunting once one is down and focus on getting it broken down immediately and to the coolers. The thought of potentially lost meat dictates that in our opinion. Rifle during cooler weather is a whole different story. We have had multiple bulls down a few times and multiple cows on numerous occasions.

Our group of 6 had 5 elk down on one opening morning (with me being the only one that didn't even see an elk). That was a lot of work for my mouthy 23 year old ass.

This Jan on a late season cow hunt we tripled up, did the whole 3-2-1 boom thing. The toughest part of that was making sure each of us had a clear shot with clear background all at the same time.

Sled

WKR
The opportunity has been there but I hunt solo. Even with a second tag in the pocket I need to think about my back.

Its easier than you think if you aren't picky on quality.

We have done it a couple times...but had many more opportunities.

A herd bull with a hot cow can attract multiple satellites creating a frenzy- the ideal situation for a bow hunter

. Once you get in that situation, its not difficult to call in multiple bulls as you have satellites investigating the ruckus. We had one second bull walk right by the first dead bull to come in.

Typically the hard part is weeding through the satellites to kill that herd bull.

______

That was my last hunt to a tee.

nphunter

WKR
We've done it a lot rifle hunting with both bulls and cows. I had my youngest out last fall trying to fill my dads tag taking advantage of the mentor program here in OR. Had a herd of 8, 6 point bulls run past at 150 yards. My sons 10 and couldn't get a shot with them moving, but a friend of the family's son and nephew were just up the ridge and doubled up on a 320is and 290ish 6x6 and 6x7 bull, those are the biggest I've seen doubled up on. We've killed over a half dozen cows out of the same group over the years on several occasions, part of the reason I took up archery, kind of like shooting fish in a barrel IMO.

My two boys doubled up on deer about 10 seconds apart last fall, 10 & 13 years old, that was super fun for them. I've yet to double up archery hunting but I've shot several bulls and had another bull walk into range and just stand there several times over the years.

Cow season starts here in OR on Aug 1st and we plan on filling 3 or 4 tags open day to put meat in the freezer before archery season starts.

Sako76

WKR
I've been apart of two doubles, one with my father, he got a 6x6 bull and me a cow. Then, 6 years later, me and a buddy doubled on 5x5's in almost the same spot (Unit 12 Colorado).

My first elk was part of a double, late cow roosie season. We didn’t know until after, but it was both first archery elk for us, they were about 60yds apart dead

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, doubles are possible but much more rare than common place! Don't count on it when archery hunting!

ElkNut