Double puffy

Lowg08

WKR
I’m already well equipped for weather. I have this idea maybe for extreme cold backpack set up.
I’m thinking I could wear with appropriate sizing synthetic down pants and jacket under down pants and jacket. It would allow cold weather and cut weight. Is this something anyone else does?

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I wear 2 puffy (synthetic, one hooded, one w/o hood)) jackets while glassing on cooler weather and sometimes the Kuiu guide jacket on top of that. I find that layering 2 puffy jackets works well for colder temps. Layering is always a good thing.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I have two jackets and looking at adding a second pair of pants. Just making sure I’m not crazy or over doing it. I could really save room and weight by having two puffy and zip off bases. So I am not packing a second set of clothes

I have never tried a second pair of puffy pants, but a set of baselayers, light hikin pants and puffy pants seem to work well.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I have never tried a second pair of puffy pants, but a set of baselayers, light hikin pants and puffy pants seem to work well.
I have never tried it either. I’ve got a spot that’s around 4 miles that I would love to be able to hunt but hike in, in a pair of light pants and just have the least amount of weight. The thing is. When I want to hunt it ( Appalachian mountains) it’s about 5400’ in middle of December so it’s very possible it could be single digits and I don’t want to freeze out. Plus I’d rather go in light up hill and come out heavy down hill.

I do the light pants and puffy pants between 11,500’-12k in November here in Colorado and its been well worth it. I have two sets of puffy pants but they wont fit over each other.

NoWiser

WKR
I used to layer 2 puffy jackets until I got a good one, now there's no need. Stepping away from the hunting brands was a good choice.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I do the light pants and puffy pants between 11,500’-12k in November here in Colorado and its been well worth it. I have two sets of puffy pants but they wont fit over each other.
I got ya. Im sure of if there is any real difference in our cold and y’all. It’s a really wet cold here. Never been to Colorado so I can’t compare. We had a day last year that it was 9* at 2800’ and a skiff of snow and -6 at 5400 with 18” of snow.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I used to layer 2 puffy jackets until I got a good one, now there's no need. Stepping away from the hunting brands was a good choice.
I’ve never done it. I was just really wondering if it would work worst case scenario for weight savings.

ybeaudoin

FNG
Yup, I layer my puffies as well. A hooded synthetic for the first layer and 80% of the day, Patagonia Micro puff and a down puffy jacket, Patagonia down sweater that I put over during colder spotting sessions. Work great and no bulk in the backpack because of the compression , both stuff inside the side pocket

Bottom
* Quality pair of down puffy pants with a higher fill.
* Outer layer of your choosing to block the wind.
* Sit on a pad with a decent R value. Never understood why more folks don’t sit on a pad in the field when it’s cold. They do it for their sleeping bags.

* Heavier mid-layer fleece.
* Quality down puffy with a higher fill.

I got ya. Im sure of if there is any real difference in our cold and y’all. It’s a really wet cold here. Never been to Colorado so I can’t compare. We had a day last year that it was 9* at 2800’ and a skiff of snow and -6 at 5400 with 18” of snow.
I am willing to bet it’s colder in your neck of the woods, due to the ample humidity. I have several different brands of puffy jackets and layering was always better than a bigger single jacket. I even do it with my sleep system now.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Bottom
* Quality pair of down puffy pants with a higher fill.
* Sit on a pad with a decent R value. Never understood why more folks don’t sit on a pad in the field when it’s cold. They do it for their sleeping bags.

* Heavier mid-layer fleece.
* Quality down puffy with a higher fill.
I normally go with
Bottoms
Wick/kiln
Helio ( if need a mid)
Corrugate pants
Down pants
Sitka rain shell

Fuse or kiln
Klamath or 260 strong fleece corrugate jacket
Brooks/down
Sitka shell

For a long walk in or for real cold sit

bottom zip off kuiu base
Obsidian pant
Uncompahgre puffy
UA down pant
Sitka rain shell

Kiln
Corrugate jacket
Brooks down
Chamberlain
Sitka shell.

very little weight

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I am willing to bet it’s colder in your neck of the woods, due to the ample humidity. I have several different brands of puffy jackets and layering was always better than a bigger single jacket. I even do it with my sleep system now.
I’m not sure. Never been further than. Dallas/Oklahoma City. I know it feels like it soaks in to your bones

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m already well equipped for weather. I have this idea maybe for extreme cold backpack set up.
I’m thinking I could wear with appropriate sizing synthetic down pants and jacket under down pants and jacket. It would allow cold weather and cut weight. Is this something anyone else does?

Yes it works, but they have to be sized to allow it. Insulation works in trapped air, putting puff pants over puff pants compresses them unless the top pair is way over sized- as in sloppy loose. Jackets are the same.