Double up

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
At what temps do you consider doubling up on puffy jackets, living in GA don’t really get a chance on testing due to the warmer winters . While in Alaska couple years back the LLP did extremely well but will be doing a lot more qlassing in the next week are so with temps barely getting to 32 degrees. Thanks Billy

kiddogy

WKR
anything down to 32, I've found ,I only need a light water resistant jacket on most hunts . anything from there down to zero, I add layers as needed. anything below zero , I let the wife keep me warm in bed.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Can you give me a example of your layers that you would use below 32. If it gets below zero I’ll head to the truck 😁

mlgc20

WKR
I don’t think I would ever double up on puffys. One or both would probably get compressed, defeating the purpose. Last year during New Mexico elk season it was negative 11. I wore a t shirt, Sitka core lightweight hoody, Sitka Stratus vest, Sierra Designs puffy and a Kuiu Shell. I was reasonably comfortable When we were moving. Another puffy would have been counter productive, I think.

cmahoney

WKR
For glassing below freezing, a base layer, medium weight mid layer hoodie and puffy jacket. If you throw a little wind in its a lot colder. After the puffy, I add a rain jacket or soft shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I’ll be good with what I’ve got planned areo wool tee,chama hoodie ,core light weight and LPP with a kudu super down vest if needed I’ve checked fit and there’s enough room without compressing the vest. Thanks for the info Billy

tlkaetz

WKR
I absolutely will double up on puffys if temps drop below freezing. I mainly use the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody and Kevin WS Hoody. The WS is sized large to layer over everything so the insulation on the lightweight puffy doesn't get compressed.

Jbehredt

WKR
Merino base, halstead grid fleece, cirrus puffy, uncompahgre puffy, shell. That’s worked for me down to single digits.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, works great if they don’t compress losing loft. Puffy pants help too.

kiddogy

WKR
Can you give me a example of your layers that you would use below 32. If it gets below zero I’ll head to the truck 😁
short sleeved t- shirt or wife beater, long sleeve shirt ,wool sweater, light jacket .

I personally prefer layers to puffy for versatility when temps change or when you sit and glass you can layer up but when hiking you can dump heat