Down bag storage question.

I am new to down bags, but now have 2. Time to store them for a bit. I use the bins below to store things. My 0 degree bag takes up the whole thing if completely uncompressed. If I add my 20 degree bag both are obviously compressed a bit.

Is that ok for longevity of the bags or significantly better to store them 100% uncompressed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
51d6181974a8c48617d8812f1dfcce47.jpg

Apollo117

WKR
I've read a few articles suggesting that uncompressed is the best way to ensure the down continues to loft properly.

Mudd Foot

WKR
As uncompressed as possible. My solution is to use $9, 6’ garment bags made for bridal gowns. My wife found them on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xOttox

FNG
Uncompressed is recommended. I found an XL mess laundry back that fit my bag and hung it up in a closet.

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I hag mine on a hanger in a closet I keep some of my hunting gear.

OP
silverbullet555
Sounds like splitting them up into separate bins is the way to go.

During the season. They hang in a closet with hunting hear, but once we are done, I need the room back.

2ski

WKR
So here is my question: Are they ever truly uncompressed? If you have them in a storage bin, the weight of the down on the top of the bag theoretically compresses the down at the bottom of the bag that's laying along the bottom of the bin. If they are hanging, gravity works against you to compress some of your down so the down at the top of the bag, again, works to compress the down at the bottom of the bag, or the bottom of the segment the down is in. Overthinking or do I have a point?

sneaky

"DADDY"
So here is my question: Are they ever truly uncompressed? If you have them in a storage bin, the weight of the down on the top of the bag theoretically compresses the down at the bottom of the bag that's laying along the bottom of the bin. If they are hanging, gravity works against you to compress some of your down so the down at the top of the bag, again, works to compress the down at the bottom of the bag, or the bottom of the segment the down is in. Overthinking or do I have a point?
Overthinking

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think the bins are fine, as long as they(the sleeping bags) are not in the compression sack and cinched down. My bag came with a storage bag for when not using it.

High quality down actually gets and undeserved bad rap on compression. I store my down bags in the manufacturer‘s supplied storage bag or in a bin - not at all worried about very light compression. For short term compression like on a hunting trip including multiple day travel there and back I‘m not at all concerned about fully compressing my down bag and leaving it that way until needed. Wouldn’t recommend doing that with a synthetic bag. In my experience high-quality down usually recovers from compression more completely than synthetics.

Jimss

WKR
I don't worry about bags stored in bins. If worried you can always take them out every few weeks and puff them back up. Just make sure they are totally dried out before storing them in bins.

OP
silverbullet555
Seriously. This isn't about bags vs bins. They're going in bins so they can be stacked on a shelf in the garage. They'll even go in their storage (not stuff) bags in bins.

My question was about slight compression for storage. Ultimately, an extra bin is more than worth it to keep them lofted in the off season.

rob86jeep

WKR
Some compression won't hurt them at all. Down is less important to keep uncompressed then synthetic, and a lot of manufactures still ship/store synthetic bags compressed to take up less space. Just stuff them in there and don't worry about them.

OP
silverbullet555
Some compression won't hurt them at all. Down is less important to keep uncompressed then synthetic, and a lot of manufactures still ship/store synthetic bags compressed to take up less space. Just stuff them in there and don't worry about them.
My nemo sonic came uncompressed while my kelty cosmic came compressed.