Down bag

Wagon77

FNG
I’m in the market for a good 0 degree down bag. Cant find anything on kuius site, and stone glacier states coming soon. Any recommendations? I would prefer treated down. I do have a Kifaru slick bag, but find it rather cold! I’m thinking down would be better! Thanks.

reaper

WKR
I’m in the market for a good 0 degree down bag. Cant find anything on kuius site, and stone glacier states coming soon. Any recommendations? I would prefer treated down. I do have a Kifaru slick bag, but find it rather cold! I’m thinking down would be better! Thanks.
I just bought a 0F down bag from outdoor vitals,suppose to arrive next week, can't wait to try this bag...first down bag ever,always been with synthetic but always been cold so it's a big step for me...I'll keep updating.

Go take a look on their website and youtube

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

Legend

WKR
If you want the best go with a Western Mountaineering bag. The Kodiak will fit your needs. I have a Badger and it’s great. It’s a 15 degree though.
This. Took my alpinlite 20 degree bag to -9 f with my coat. Slept great!

archp625

WKR
This. Took my alpinlite 20 degree bag to -9 f with my coat. Slept great!
My brother was the one that recommended Western Mountaineering to me. He has a Antelope and another one that’s a 30-35 bag. I can’t remember the name. I am so glad I took his advice. We slept in zero degree weather this past year. I won’t lie and say I was toasty but I exceeded the rating by 15 degrees and was good enough.

Foreman05

FNG
If you want a great bag I would recommend the slumberjack downwind 0. Quality well beyond the price tag. I have the 20 degree bag and was comfortable at 27 degrees with Sitka core lightweight bases on. I don’t think it was capable any lower but I’m very happy with that. It packs down in its own stuff sack smaller than a volleyball, I would guess the 0 bag would be volleyball sized.

*zap*

WKR
Neither down or synthetic is warmer, the temp rating and dimensions determine how warm a bag is as long as the rating is not overinflated. I doubt Kifaru overinflates their temp ratings.

The other variable for warmth is how good the hood fits you and how knowledgeable you are at using the hood. If I use the hood correctly the bag will keep me as warm @ 10°-15° colder temps than if I do not use it or do not cinch it up correctly. The draft collar when used correctly keeps the moisture from your breath from going down into the bag and will keep some drafts out also.

Correct and honest temp rating.
Good hood that is used correctly.
Tighter fitting bag.
Good draft collar.
Heat a nalgene bottle of water and put it in bag before you get in.
Do some jumping jacks before you get in.
Eat some good fats before you go to bed.

^ this is what makes a bag warmer or colder not down or synthetic.

Blackbird

FNG
I have had many bags the SG is the best that I have ever had by far. It would be worth the money in my opinion assuming they have in a reasonable amount of time.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For the best, Western Mountaineering. RAB has good down and I have been happy with the -5 down bag I have from them.

Decker9

WKR
Decker9, are you talking about warmth, the WM being much warmer?

The antelope wins in all aspects imo. It feels warmer to me, far more comfortable with its loft, and still packs smaller, and is lighter.
Tho I haven’t put either of these through any hard paces yet, I was kinda disappointed in the slick bag. there’s no comfort to it, so relying on a sleeping mat for that. I personally can’t warm up to the center zip either, but lots of folks do like it. It didn’t seem to strike me as any better/nicer then the average $200 bag. Jmo

Voyageur

WKR
I own/have owned two down bags, a down quilt and a bunch of synthetic bags over the years...too many to take the time to count. In my opinion the best bag of all of them based on quality, and features is my WM Kodiak. I considered getting a WM bag for several years before taking the plunge and have been completely satisfied.
Hope this helps.
Edit:
One of the things I like best about my WM bag is its "roominess."