Down bags vs quilts

Needing opinions here. I'm about to make a major upgrade to my sleep system. I have already picked up a heavier 20" pad, with the intention on getting a down sleeping bag, but the more I think and the more I look I like the idea of a quilt. Pros vs cons? I'm a bigger guy 6'2" 230 and sleep hot sometimes, cold others, and absolutely hate mummy bags. Specifically been looking at the NEMO spoon bags but the 650 down and weight have me concerned. I have no idea on where to start with quilts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
underground quilts has a good price on their new bandit but not sure they have one wide enough to suit your needs

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
I would take a look a Enlightened Equipment or Hammock Gear or VI AM Out doors for quilts. I am like you only I sleep hot, I went with long wide for my quilt.

Definitely give the quilt a try. We're about the same size, and I use an Enlightened Equipment Revelation in Long/Wide. I opted for the 10 degree quilt to avoid having to purchase multiple quilts for different seasons. In warmer temps, I just leave the foot box open and don't tuck the sides under.

ljalberta

WKR
Recently picked up a EE 20* and my wife got a 10*. Took it out a few weekends in April and May and sent it off for a 10* as well in the same quilt. I must say though, I won't be going back to a bag at least for 3 season use. The comfort level versus a mummy bag is game changing for both of us.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Well, then don't read it if you are completely up to speed on the topic.....

I second the Enlightened Equipment vote. I have a Long/Wide 30 degree bag, and works great for three season use. I pair it up with a down jacket if the temps dip into the high teens, which happened last fall in late October here in MT. Comfy, light (19 oz.) and easy to pack.

Ronb

WKR
Get an 20 degree long and extra wide EE Revelation. You can thank me later. Check the garage on there site, you might get a deal. I'm 5-10 175 and use a reg/wide and its perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thanks guys, seems like everyone is on the quilt side of things

Ronb

WKR
Just bought my wife a synthetic Apex Revelation. Comes in the mail tomorrow. We'll see??? It was about a hundred bucks cheaper. Might b a great bag. Only issue i have with down is the slight clammy feeling u get sometimes. Its about 10oz heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, seems like everyone is on the quilt side of things

If you ask Aron Snyder he would tell you that quilts are a terrible idea, and I agree that they probably are if you're going to do the stuff he does. If you are the type the never really goes out between the end of September and mid May, then I would say that a quilt is perfect for you. Due to my size (6'5" 250lb) I plan on switching to a quilt during these times of year to save some weight, but I have been in situations where the temps drop into the low 20s overnight in the middle of July at 11,500ft so I will still be getting a 10 degree quilt. If I were to go out after archery season or go to a wet environment however I will be bringing a synthetic bag.

Boreal

WKR
Massdrop still has the EE 20 (or 30) deg quilt at serious savings, Massdrop: A Community For Your Interests. But only for the next three days.

I picked up a 20 deg quilt and really like it. I haven't had it in the real cold yet, but I have no doubt that it is going to be just the ticket for an Alaskan summer and fall hunt season. I am 5'10, 210#, all of it in the shoulders. Mummy bags are way too snug for me, the quilt is perfect, I can open it up when it's warmer, and cinch it down around my shoulders when necessary.

Tsnider

WKR
i got a 10 degree EE this year and i like it, but ill like it better during the warmer months. ive camped in the 20s with it several times and had a hard time staying warm for long. it does take some getting used to. going out again this weekend into the upper 20s and will see how i do. i think its just a matter of adjustment to get it right.

Felix40

WKR
Its just a matter of using it right for the temperature. Ive used my 20 degree down to 19 without being cold. I toss and turn a lot. If you are getting drafts tuck the quilt under your pad and you wont have any issue.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Its just a matter of using it right for the temperature. Ive used my 20 degree down to 19 without being cold. I toss and turn a lot. If you are getting drafts tuck the quilt under your pad and you wont have any issue.

I tucked and used the bands and always seemed to wake up with a draft.

I didn't use this once and say it didn't work I used it for weeks from mid 30 to 5 degrees.

The best advice I can give is to use it in mild weather first to make sure its good before jumping into a 5+ day backpack hunt with it.

Clarktar

WKR
I have found quilts work great for me. I sleep hot and tend to move around a good deal. But I do have a bag for really nasty weather hunts... More of a CYA deal rather then a quilt doesn't work deal...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Hey Ryan I dont want to derail the thread so delete if needed but did you run the quilt something like this? Thats looking at the bottom. With the straps in place when you lay on the pad it literally makes an air tight seal where the pad is on top of the quilt. I dont know if thats how its suppossed to be used but thats what a buddy and I have been doing and neither of us has ever been cold.

Btw the podcast is awesome so far. More substance than others out there even if you and Aron rag on quilts when Ive never had a problem with one. :D

mavmskyb8

FNG
A lot of great info here! I bought 2 10* degree quilts from Viam Outdoors. Tristan is a great guy! I bought one for my 25 year old son who is a body builder. I told Tristan that, because my son's shoulder are huge. Tristan asked me to measure the width of his shoulders, and he would make the quilt to fit. I couldn't have been happier with the "custom" quilt! It fit my son perfectly! I think Tristan does a great job!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hey Ryan I dont want to derail the thread so delete if needed but did you run the quilt something like this? Thats looking at the bottom. With the straps in place when you lay on the pad it literally makes an air tight seal where the pad is on top of the quilt. I dont know if thats how its suppossed to be used but thats what a buddy and I have been doing and neither of us has ever been cold.

Btw the podcast is awesome so far. More substance than others out there even if you and Aron rag on quilts when Ive never had a problem with one. :D

Yes that's the way I have it set up. But imagine if you will a Tasmanian devil, that's how I sleep:)

Thanks on the podcast.