Down Jacket <$200

Hi, I'm looking for a jacket I can use on late season high elevation hunts and winter hiking. Budget- less than $200, might go slightly higher if there's a real benefit

My preference would be an emphasis on warmth, looking for 800 fill down in various jackets, not sold on one in particular. I plan to use the jacket once I get up on glassing points and sometimes to supplement my sleep system at night.

I have a 650 fill down jacket that's pretty nice so this jacket will just fill a void on the colder days.

Thanks!

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Eddie Bauer always has sales. I got my 800 fill storm down puffy from them a couple years ago for ~$140. Taken it to the highest peaks in Colorado and the crappiest weather in AK. It’s done great and is VERY warm. The quality is very high if it is in their “First Ascent” line. Had mine out in some showers and the DWR works well. Down maintained its loft, fabric was pretty durable. No down clusters have come through the fabric or stitching in two years of use.

They are running a sale now. Several great options for under $200. https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/38832284/men's-downlight(r)-hooded-jacket?sp=1&size=&color=Storm

Last edited:
Ya. Eddie Bauer might be your best bet. If you don’t need it this year, wait until you see something in their clearance section and then wait for one of their 40-60% extra off clearance sales which happen at least once a month.

I got a 800 fill storm down jacket for like $60. That particular jacket is not warm enough for what you describe but they have warmer models.

Last edited:
Just purchased a lightly used Chamberlin for 200 which I’m hoping to use for the types of uses you describe. Seems like it’s well reviewed to meet those needs.

If I'm not mistaken the fill rate does not let you know how much down is actually in th jacket just the size of feathers. I think a 650 fill rate is fine as long as you have enough insulation.

kipper09

WKR
If you are ok with a solid color, wear an XL and don’t mind buying used there was an Arc’teryx Thorium for sale a while back on here that was like new. He was wanting like $150. You will not beat that puffy for that kind of money IMHO..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Costco has North Face puffys on sale for $150. Can’t tell you how cold they’ll go just yet but snow blowing the driveway in that jacket with a tshirt at 30 degrees and I was getting too hot. It’s lighter than my fleece I wear for work.

Stalker69

WKR
Kuiu has a sale until tomorrow, they have a couple that are slightly more then 200.00 ( if they have the size and color you want) you might want to check out.

Lots of options available in non-camouflage.

There are a lot of sales currently underway, as well as about to start.

Quick search on Moosejaw (down, $200 or less) yields 78 jackets. That is just one site.

If you are ok with the weight of it, you definitely won't be cold.
Yes, it is heavier than some others but I haven’t found a super lightweight down puffy that will keep me warm in those contexts. Always the tension there for sure, weight vs warmth.

If you have a Mountain Warehouse near you, check that place out. I have picked up a down vest and puffy jacket from them fr dirt cheap. I actually don't even wear it a lot because it is so warm. I do second the others here though that have suggested Eddie Bauer or Lands End. You do not need to spend the money buying something from one of the industry vendors. Just get a good jacket in a natural earth tone and you will be good to go.

davescarp

WKR
montbell makes a nice jacket that is fairly priced. I think you can find one for a maybe a touch more than $200 brand new off their website (solid colors obv). THey list the fill type and amount for each jacket so you know exactly what you are getting. far better info about their product than most companies. I've been eyeing this one, almost 5 oz of 800 fill down

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25010&p_id=2301261&gen_cd=1