Down mid layer vs expensive outer layer for colder hunts

When it comes to sitting an insulated, windproof outer layer like the Fanatic is king when space and weight are not of key importance. I'm not a big fan of down as a mid layer for stand sitting because it compresses in spots and that leads to cold spots.

Now when it comes to backpacking In all about down.

I would echo the points about compression. You can make it work but down (or synthetic insulation) has to have loft to keep you warm.

tight outer layers, packs, bino harnesses, sitting or laying on them - all reduce the ability to loft and hold air and consequently heat.

I did the mid layer puffy thing for a couple of years and it works. I went with a dedicated whitetail set (FL Solitude) and prefer that type of set up now that I am stand hunting more.

final thought, depending on your set up, don’t discount the value of a blanket or even a sleeping bag. I have sat in blinds and stands with my legs and lower body in a sleeping bag or with a woombie draped over me and been very happy.

OP
B
I would echo the points about compression. You can make it work but down (or synthetic insulation) has to have loft to keep you warm.

tight outer layers, packs, bino harnesses, sitting or laying on them - all reduce the ability to loft and hold air and consequently heat.

I did the mid layer puffy thing for a couple of years and it works. I went with a dedicated whitetail set (FL Solitude) and prefer that type of set up now that I am stand hunting more.

final thought, depending on your set up, don’t discount the value of a blanket or even a sleeping bag. I have sat in blinds and stands with my legs and lower body in a sleeping bag or with a woombie draped over me and been very happy.

Thank you for your input! For now I’m going with a down mid layer.eventually I will spring for a Sitka fanatic for bowhunting whitetails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Thank you for your input! For now I’m going with a down mid layer.eventually I will spring for a Sitka fanatic for bowhunting whitetails

Might I suggest going with a synthetic instead of down. I’m not a expert but I will only wear an up sized hard shell over down.

By mid-layer do you just mean that you’re going to wear that down jacket while you’re fairly inactive (sitting in stand/blind, glassing, camp, etc) and have a shell over it? If so, that’s a good plan

If you expect to hike you really need to wear a fleece or a breathable “active” synthetic insulating jacket (sitka active, kuiu kenai, Patagonia nano air, Arc’teryx atom proton LT are common examples) as a “mid layer” and save the down jacket and shell together as your outer layer.

If you exert yourself much hiking around in your down jacket you’ll be sweaty in no time, which will make you colder and your down jacket less warm

Last edited:
OP
B
By mid-layer do you just mean that you’re going to wear that down jacket while you’re fairly inactive (sitting in stand/blind, glassing, camp, etc) and have a shell over it? If so, that’s a good plan

If you expect to hike you really need to wear a fleece or a breathable “active” synthetic insulating jacket (sitka active, kuiu kenai, Patagonia nano air, Arc’teryx atom LT are common examples) as a “mid layer” and save the down jacket and shell together as your outer layer.

If you exert yourself much hiking around in your down jacket you’ll be sweaty in no time, which will make you colder and your down jacket less warm

Agreed. It will only be work while on stand

Lowg08

WKR
I had started a thread titled double puffy. There was some good info. I have decided against it. Just too marshmallow man feeling

Lowg08

WKR
X2... The Fanatic Jacket is my favorite piece of Sitka clothing... put a couple hand warmers in the kangaroo pocket and you can sit all day!!! Well thought out and very wind proof!
The only down side to it is if you are walking long distances. They are heavy and bulky and do not pack easy. My buddy has one. Also the bibs. It took a 4500 cubic inches for both

I’m going to try out down as a mid layer this year. I’m mostly nervous about the noise. Layering fleece under cabelas wooltimate was the ticket this year down into the teens.
I also have never hunted in expensive outers to compare anything to.

Super tag

WKR
I use the Kuiu merino base with fleece mid layer top and light duty pants while hiking and moving around, even when very cold, this allow me to stay/dry out, sometimes even change my top base layer when I get to my glassing position.

I’ll throw on lightweight thinner down jacket over my mid layer, Kuiu super down pro pants, Kuiu Yukon pants over those, and the Kuiu super down hooded Parker as my final layer.

I’ve been able to glass in deep snow at -10 for hours comfortably, staying warm and dry.

Nothing ruins a hunt faster than getting and staying cold.