Down Mitts

ChrisAU

WKR
So I think I've talked myself into needing a pair. My glove setup is pretty minimal but warm - FL full finger talus merino touch gloves under FL fingerless talus merino gloves. This is a toasty setup but would not buck wind very well. So, in a quest to add a light glove for glassing to the pack I started looking at down mittens. So far I've found 3 viable options (prices shipped):

EE Stronghold Mittens Stock - $65 - 2.25 oz - 4oz apex insulation
FL Brooks Glassing Mitt DE - $78 - 3.5 oz - 800fp 37.5 downtek insulation
OR Transcendent Mittens - $47 - 3.8 oz - 650fp goose down

Thoughts?

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I use those EE Stronghold Mittens. I don't find myself hunting in weather much colder than upper 20s but they would great for keeping my hands warm and weigh nothing for those cooler glassing sessions.

RCL

WKR
I have the First Lite and think they will be fine, but just got them so haven't used them in cold weather yet.

Not down but mitts nonetheless, I wear a pair of dakine mittens I got for snowboarding. Fairly light, waterproof-ish/windproof, warm, and durable. They're about the same price as what you are looking for and layer with a fleece liner.

K

Kootenay Hunter

OR has a lot of options too, no experience with glassing or down mittens

Kotaman

WKR
I have the ARc Teryx Down mitts, the KUIU Glassing Mitts, the Sitka Blizzard mitts and the FL Brooks Mitts. No major complaints on any of them but have to say the FL Brooks are really nice.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Picked up a pair of the EE mitts last week, seem like they'll fit the bill perfectly. Came in right at 2.25oz and fit great over my FL merino talus gloves.

mvmnts

WKR
Another vote for the EE mitts, I don't use them often, but when I do good lord they are comfy.

slatty

WKR
Thanks for the thread, in the market for the same right now. Doesn't look like much has changed in this area. I'll try to pick up some of those EE ones I like the synthetic insulation.

tdhanses

WKR
I picked up the FL Brooks and they seem like they’ll be really warm, weigh nothing.

I own the EE mitts (use em primarily for hammock camping) but do not recommend em for rugged use. There are plenty of better choices that are built for glassing.

Firehawk

WKR
The OR Transcendants are on sale at Sierra right now. A bunch of us Roksliders have ordered some. Mine are supposed to show up tomorrow (I leave today for my hunt....DOH!!). Can't wait to glass with them.

twall13

WKR
I have the Outdoor Research Trancendent mitts and like them well enough. My brother has the First Lite mitts and I like them better. That said, more often than not I end up just wearing liner gloves and throwing a hot hands inside a homemade Apex hand muff while glassing. It gives me better dexterity when needed and is actually warmer while just sitting. Mitts have their place as well but I thought I'd throw that out there as well as it has really worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CanEater

FNG
I recently ordered the OR Transcendent Mittens and can't wait to give them a try this fall.

bat-cave

WKR
I have the FL Brooks Mittens and like them. Just keep in mind that the wind will go right through them, but minus wind they are nice and warm.

I also use the FL Merino liners. I really like the Touch version for a bit more grip and ability to operate a phone w/o having to abuse the phone screen to make it recognize my touch! The downside I found this past week was that the Touch versions are not as warm IMHO. I think the leather is the issue and I went back to just the basic Merino liners. If it's not as cold and i just need a liner ... I'll go back to the Touch version as both are really nice.

pewpew

FNG
I have the OR Mitts, they are great for the price. Can't compare to the others, but I notice that my fingers get cold where they are holding my bino's because the down compresses so easily. Also when my hands are a little damp I have a hard time getting the mitts on because the liner feels "loose". But for the weight and price they are solid. Mine are large and I think I would have a hard time squeezing my hands in with a liner glove. Size up if you plan on doing that with the OR's.

wildcat33

WKR
Just picked up the OR Phosphor mitts via the recent deal post. No complaints: light and super warm. Size up to fit over liners.

I recently got the outdoor research transcendent mitt also. I pair it with the mt baker mitt outer shell for keeping wind and rain off here in western Washington. Huge increase in warmth over the factory glove that came with the shell. 25 and blowing hard and my hands were fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
not down but I have a pair of the Northstar Glommits from KUIU...great gloves. I've used the in well below zero weather and no issues.

I had a pair of actual down mittens before and they are not the best for wind...I had to get a waterproff slip over cover for them...I think snowboarders use them