down or synthetic

• down

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • synthetic

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters

littlebuf

Banned
been a lot of sleeping bag talk but I haven't seen this poll yet (remove if I missed it and its been on here already) so what and why?

I voted down. ive always run a synthetic and to be honest the main reason was cost. switched to down this year for weight to warmth ratio and pack ability.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had used down for a long time, but after a couple bad experiences, I will be using synthetic for any important trips.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Down usually, but for Kodiak and other Coastal AK hunts I prefer synthetic. On my 2nd goat hunt on Kodiak last year I used a down bag as it was only a 5 hour round trip to the car where I had a synthetic bag. Luckily we only stayed on the mountains two nights as we got 2 goats pretty quickly. However, it poured the entire time and jumping into the bag while damp in 100% humidity meant by the morning of the 2nd day there wasn't near the loft or warmth of the down as normal. It was a good way to confirm why I prefer synthetic bags in these environments.

But at other times when I feel I can save the extra pound for a down vs. syn bag I'll go that way as down is oh so much more comfy....when dry. :D

I carry a synthetic now. Had a down bag, but I don't want to have to be paranoid about my bag getting wet at all. Swapped to a synthetic quilt this year and I'll be running that. My synthetic quilt is 9oz heavier compared to its down counterpart. 9oz for the peace of mind I'll attain is really worth it for me. And being able to hop into the quilt wet or damp and wake up dry without worrying about soaking my down is also a nice feature.

Rizzy

WKR
I used down for the first 12 years or so of my backpacking adventures. Once I started getting more serious about backpack hunting in the rocky mountains, I decided to switch over to synthetic via the Slick Bag. It just makes more sense to me to put that factor in my favor. You never fully know what can and will happen.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
how often do you guys get your sleeping bags wet? I know its a possibility of course but is it a regular occurrence for some of you guys? I hunt Washington, western Washington for the most part and I cant say that ive ever had a huge problem with a wet sleeping bag. I always have clothes to change into for sleeping, or if I don't and im soaked I usually just strip down as I don't like to sleep in wet clothes. you guys jumping in the bag in full rain gear? :)

down but ive been kicking around the possibility of a syn in addition for certain trips ive got in mine, possibly sell my down bag and get a down quilt and syn bag is where ym head is now...

In my paratipi last year during a rain storm I had condensation dripping on my bag all night long. Woke up to a montbell bag with a puddle on it. I don't believe it effected the bag much, but I really don't want to have to worry about it. So for peace of mind I roll with synthetic. Also, most guys who use a down bag/quilt are rolling with a bivy to protect their bag/quilt. That puts the weight right back into the synthetics range. I was going to go with a bivy, but I decided my tyvek ground sheet will be more than enough and I bought the quilt so I can stretch my arms out. So why defeat that purpose and throw a bivy on it?

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
no bivy for me, I just cant do them. I am adding a few guy outs to my TT this year to keep the center of my squall a little higher. if theres any draw back to my TT its that it can sag a little when wet, my modifications this year will take care of that though

luke moffat

Super Moderator
how often do you guys get your sleeping bags wet? I know its a possibility of course but is it a regular occurrence for some of you guys? I hunt Washington, western Washington for the most part and I cant say that ive ever had a huge problem with a wet sleeping bag. I always have clothes to change into for sleeping, or if I don't and im soaked I usually just strip down as I don't like to sleep in wet clothes. you guys jumping in the bag in full rain gear? :)

I've never got the bag wet from the elements as its either in my tent on a pad or in a dry bag during transit. But I like to put my damp clothes in my bag with me to dry them out as I hate putting on cold/wet clothes in the morning...so I put them in the bag with me....after two days in the 100% humidity and pouring driving rain in the alpine and no protection, the downs loft was severely diminished, in this case I wished I had brought my syn bag up the mountain and will in the future for such situations, just not worth saving the pound in applications such as this. That said by and large I go down when I can.

TEmbry

WKR
Synthetic for my Alaska trips as it seems to rain more than sunshine up there.... Just bought a Down quilt for my trips in the lower 48. I'm archery only and a hot sleeper anyway, so I figured a 30* Revelation X will get me through most archery seasons all across the west as they are typically earlier in the season. Coupled with my NeoAir, I cut nearly 2 lbs off of my pad/bag combo.

I have a similar approach to tents, have a bombproof 4 season for Alaska trips that weighs in nearly 5 lbs, but for my lower 48 earlier season trips I will now rock a Fly Creek Platinum 2 weighing in at 2 lbs 10 ozs. Cutting over 5 lbs from camp/pack combo, while gaining comfort and over 2000 CI of pack space.... Win-Win in my book and will have gear to cover all sorts of conditions now.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Down bag that's always in a bivy when set out and in pack. The Kifaru slick bag looks like a good synthetic option though. Colorado is generally pretty dry so a wet bag has only been a factor a few times. I have always been able to dry it out.

Manosteel

WKR
synthetic bags for me, snow always a possibility during hunting season up here. Why take the risk but I try anything. My hunting partner used down bags all the time with no compliants, however, he was always worried about getting his bag wet and put his bag in a water proof sack which negates the wieght savings a bit.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
he was always worried about getting his bag wet and put his bag in a water proof sack which negates the wieght savings a bit.

this is a good point, however its pretty easy to resolve. I carry at least one contractor bag with me on m y trips. ill put my sleeping bag/quilt in the regular stuff sack I always use and instead of having the contractor bag stuffed in a pocket somewhere I just put the sleeping bag in its stuff sack in the garbage bag if I know its going to rain. no real need for extra weight of a water proof stuff sack if your already carrying plastic. I did this with synthetic bags too, why not?

Snyd

WKR
Been using a down BA Zirkel/IAC pad for a few years and I like it a lot. I've had the pad longer than the bag. I have a TNF Cats Meow as well and it's okay. I little tight though, not as warm. BA is a pound lighter, not that big of deal but it's much warmer.

I think down/synthetic depends on your tent also and how it/you manage condensation. But, in some cases when your in that mtn mist it just doesn't matter. Everything gets damp and clammy.

It's pretty easy to keep a bag dry in your pack which is good to do with any bag.