Down Pants or no down pants?

Doing a backpack November MT mule deer hunt and am wondering if you guys and or/girls pack down pants? I have a hooded puffy as well as a vest. Deciding if I want or need to spend the money or not for pants. I’d likely only use them for sleeping other than emergency scenarios.

Any recommendations on a decent pair that doesn’t run me $300+?

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I don't use down pants....instead go with mid-weight thermals as they can be worn under pants during the day if needed and down booties (feet tend to be my cold point/area when sleeping).

Backpacking in November, it is a no brainer, take down pants. I have a couple pairs of UnderArmor I picked up on sale. Get 3/4 or more zip.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Puffy pants are a game changer, especially when glassing for long periods of time. Wouldn’t leave without my puffy jacket and pants. imo, it’s money well spent you won’t regret.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I run mostly Kuiu, but I absolutely love the Sitka Kelvin lite pants. I have the older full length, but would buy the 3/4 length option now. They are much more durable than other options; double knees, double seat. I can easily keep my jacket out of the brush when glassing, it's tough to keep my pants from ripping to shreds on late season hunts. I much prefer the durability over weight savings for the pants. You won't regret buying them. They are one of my favorite pieces. I also have the Kuiu Peleton "yoga pants". If it is October that's all I take, November and later it will be the Sitka Kelvin lite.

Werty

WKR
It all depends on the weather, Montana weather is very unpredictable in November. I live in SW Montana. Ive left 20 degree weather headed to eastern Montana and it be 50 degrees. Depending on location, which part of November, it's a crap shoot. If you have the extra cash and want them, buy them. If not, use a heavier underlayer.

I would absolutely bring down pants in November. It will also help your sleep system be warmer. I have Kuiu ultras, they are excellent and weigh almost nothing. There are warmer but heavier options as well.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Not down but primaloft (best syn IMO), but the OR tradecraft pants are really good for the price. Reinforced in key areas, full zips, friendly waistband belt, weight and pack ability good (only thing they give up to down IMO). I’d say comparable to FL uncompahgre pants. Can usually find for $120 during sale.

OP
B
Not down but primaloft (best syn IMO), but the OR tradecraft pants are really good for the price. Reinforced in key areas, full zips, friendly waistband belt, weight and pack ability good (only thing they give up to down IMO). I’d say comparable to FL uncompahgre pants. Can usually find for $120 during sale.

How well does the tradecraft compact?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Best comparison is a tad smaller than nalgene. I use REI zip compression bags and it uses the smaller of them. Picture is next to size 10 foot for reference.

Attachments

• DED674D5-F9DF-4BCC-B202-8B303497925B.jpeg
    DED674D5-F9DF-4BCC-B202-8B303497925B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Down pants are a staple for any backpack trip I go on....August on thru winter....as it can be winter in August....snow, wind, really cold at times. I use the KUIU original Super Down pants.

I pretty much bring down pants on all my BP hunts. I use them to glass in, hang out in camp, sleep in for added insulation with a lighter wt. quilt, and sometimes as stuffing for my stuff pillow.

What are you running for your thermal and pant combo? I do not run puffy pants but if you are doing a backpack hunt in NOV I would say absolutely yes. Super light insurance policy.

Last edited:
Insulated pants, yes.
Down fill, generally no.
Synthetic fill, almost always the best choice. The exception; cold/sub-zero conditions.
Arcteryx Atom LT insulated pants, from the LEAF collection, is a good compromise between warmth, compressibility and light weight.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're going to moving the entire time (very unlikely) you can get by w/o insulated pants. If you're going to be doing some sitting/glassing (very likely)- yes you want insulated pants.

I prefer Apex synthetic insulation over down for hunting; down is a little lighter and a little more compressible, but Apex simply does much better when it's wet, which imo outweighs down's advantages (which in the scheme of things, really isn't much over Apex)

Get high zippers on whatever pant you choose, you want to be able to take them off/put the on w/o having to take your boots off.